mtbr member

New 456 Carbon Build!

I just got out on my first ride on the new 456C frame. I built the bike up from the parts from a previous frame that I broke. The build went well except for the Smoothie Mixer headset that came with the frame, I couldn't get the headset to not rock under brake forces unless the headset was too tight to steer. I ended up fixing it by swapping out the stock compression ring and dust cover with headset parts from an old Ritchey headset. The headset feels great now, but I wasted a few hours trying to get the Mixer to work.
    I only have 10 miles on the bike so far, but it feels really fun and quick even in the snow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New 456 Carbon Build!-456c-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Thats a bad ass frame!
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

T.W.O
    Nice. I really dig my 456
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Looks all ready for spring!

makin skid marks
    Jun 2007
    Kickass. SLACK ON
    Actually I abhor cycling- I just like wearing tight shorts

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Nice! BB looks kind of high though. Anyone happen to know the either the BB height or BB drop on the 456 Carbon frames? Can't seem to find that information any where. TIA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    Nice! BB looks kind of high though.
    You're right the BB looks really high in my pic. My bottom bracket measures at just under 13.5 inches with a fully extended 140mm float and 2.35 tires. Obviously the bottom bracket drops a lot with fork sag. I think On-One doesn't publish bb info because the frame doesn't have an official fork a2c spec.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by davemk View Post
    You're right the BB looks really high in my pic. My bottom bracket measures at just under 13.5 inches with a fully extended 140mm float and 2.35 tires. Obviously the bottom bracket drops a lot with fork sag. I think On-One doesn't publish bb info because the frame doesn't have an official fork a2c spec.
    Thanks for the info. I'm trying to decide between the 456 Carbon and the Lurcher. Was planning on getting the 456C and converting it to SS 650B but I think that BB height is a bit too high for my liking. So looks like I'll most likely go with the Lurcher and build a 29er SS instead.