Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My new Whippet

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

My new On One Whippet

I just finished building up my On One Whippet. The bike is very light (21.0lbs) and rides fantastic. I really wanted to say a big thank you to Michael at Planet X USA. First he helped me get the frame in the white/red color. They didn't have any in stock (just red and black) and he worked to get me a white and red one. When I got the frame the swap out bolts seized, so he quickly sent me another set. All I can say is great customer service, and a pleasure to deal with these guys. And now the pics of this awesome machine!

Last edited by ljsmith; 04-16-2012 at 01:56 PM.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Wow, I like it! Just ordered one myself, hope to build a light weight 650b'er
    My Bike: http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...3&postcount=49

On-One Whippet 650b XC machine

mtbr member
    Wilcox, SK.

Love the Whippet, BTW. My new Whippet-nd_short_approved_red.jpg

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    I just finished building up my On One Whippet. The bike is very light (21.0lbs) and rides fantastic. I really wanted to say a big thank you to Michael at Planet X USA. First he helped me get the frame in the white/red color. They didn't have any in stock (just red and black) and he worked to get me a white and red one. When I got the frame the swap out bolts seized, so he quickly sent me another set. All I can say is great customer service, and a pleasure to deal with these guys. And now the pics of this awesome machine!

Looks great, lj!

Note for Swapout bolts: Grease the threads well. The threadlocker works too well.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

All That is Man
    I hope it's as fast as it looks!
    John

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    ljsmith

I remember you from a chinese carbon frame. (-: Can you shoot me a link to a front derailleur and bottom bracket that you are using? Most likely I will get Scandal but I might grab a whippet if my wife allows it.

Bike looks really impressive.
    “You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.”

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickK View Post
    ljsmith

I remember you from a chinese carbon frame. (-: Can you shoot me a link to a front derailleur and bottom bracket that you are using? Most likely I will get Scandal but I might grab a whippet if my wife allows it.

Bike looks really impressive.
    Yeah, I sold the Chinese carbon bike. The Whippet frame is much nicer and wasn't too much more expensive.

Front derailleur
    Universal Cycles -- Shimano FD-M786 XT Direct Mount Front Derailleur

Bottom Bracket(BB92)
    Universal Cycles -- Truvativ/SRAM GXP-BB86/92 Press Fit Bottom Bracket
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Yeah, I sold the Chinese carbon bike. The Whippet frame is much nicer and wasn't too much more expensive.

Front derailleur
    Universal Cycles -- Shimano FD-M786 XT Direct Mount Front Derailleur

Bottom Bracket(BB92)
    Universal Cycles -- Truvativ/SRAM GXP-BB86/92 Press Fit Bottom Bracket

I have been a big fan of On-One bikes for a long time. I broke my chinese frame since I forgot to unclip. Yes, it still happens to me.

Did apply anything when you installed bottom bracket? I read few posts and people mentioned creak problems.
    “You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.”

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I applied grease to the cups of the BB. I was going to use a headset press to press it in, but it actually just slid right in when I pressed it hard with my hands, I was surprised. It is actually much easier to install and remove than an external threaded BB. I have no creaks or any issues with it at all.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I applied grease to the cups of the BB. I was going to use a headset press to press it in, but it actually just slid right in when I pressed it hard with my hands, I was surprised. It is actually much easier to install and remove than an external threaded BB. I have no creaks or any issues with it at all.
    That is quite impressive. Did you buy the ceramic one? As far as I can there is aluminum "insert" so grease is safe. What do you think about running a 10 speed crank with 9 speed cassette. I do not think it is going o a problem.

mtbr member
    Cool bike! Got a Whippet myself

Quick question, did you have to install a 1mm washer between the front mech and mount for the shimano xt to work properly? that's what the on one website suggests.
    My Bike: http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...3&postcount=49

On-One Whippet 650b XC machine

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Sweet, im thinking about getting the whippet. I have the same question PatrickK had, did you get the stainless or ceramic BB?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dhbomber View Post
    Cool bike! Got a Whippet myself

Quick question, did you have to install a 1mm washer between the front mech and mount for the shimano xt to work properly? that's what the on one website suggests.
    I saw that also. When I first put the derailleur on, I could not see any reason why you would need to do this, so I didn't. However I took the derailleur off the other day and noticed a very small paint chip, maybe about 1mm, under where the derailleur mounts. So if you are concerned about that, then you probably would want to put the washer in. I didn't put one in and it works fine, and the paint chip is not visible when the derailleur is installed so I am not too concerned about it.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ski n bike View Post
    Sweet, im thinking about getting the whippet. I have the same question PatrickK had, did you get the stainless or ceramic BB?
    I got the regular BB. I didn't see much value in the ceramic BB. You get a very small performance advantage from the ceramic, which probably is not noticeable unless you are a CAT 1 racer. They do last longer, but for the price you can buy about 5 regular BBs and I don't replace my BBs very often.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for the answer! What size did you get, and how tall are you?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ski n bike View Post
    Thanks for the answer! What size did you get, and how tall are you?
    5' 11" and I got the 18". (I gave you a more detailed response to sizing in the thread you started about sizing.)
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    @ ljsmith

Do you use jagwire cables for derailleurs?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    @ ljsmith

Do you use jagwire cables for derailleurs?
    The housing/cables on this bike are jagwire.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The housing/cables on this bike are jagwire.
    Thanks. I need to talk to my wife now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    You tempted to make this a 650b also? I have read other places that this frame can handle the conversion. Just curious how tall you are and your appraisal of riding a 26 hardtail while having a Epic FS 650b?

Your thoughts and viewpoints would be greatly appreciated.

I am getting close to pulling the trigger on either building up a carbon 650b hardtail or 29er carbon hardtail and still weighing the in's and outs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiway View Post
    You tempted to make this a 650b also? I have read other places that this frame can handle the conversion. Just curious how tall you are and your appraisal of riding a 26 hardtail while having a Epic FS 650b?

Your thoughts and viewpoints would be greatly appreciated.

I am getting close to pulling the trigger on either building up a carbon 650b hardtail or 29er carbon hardtail and still weighing the in's and outs.
    650b compatibility was important when I was shopping for the frame. However at this time I am going to keep it as a 26" bike. I built this bike mainly to ride at some trails that are close to my house. The trails are basically beginners singletrack and fireroads, but it has some good climbs. Riding these trails on my Epic is a joke, its just too easy and gets boring. I wanted a lightweight hardtail for the climbs and 26" wheels to make these trails much more challenging. I even am running Furious Fred tires, which are almost semi-slicks. They make it even more challenging and they are great on the road, which is important since I ride to the trails from my house.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    It is good to know it is compatible with 650b wheels. Ljsmith, how many bottombracket spacers did you use? I am trying to buy Sram x9 2.10 crank. I cannot afford x.0 which looks great on your whippet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    No BB spacers are needed for the Whippet frame. There is one included with the BB but it is not used with the Whippet.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Great. What is your opinion on BB92 bracket? Is more durable than a "traditional" design? Did you notice any benefits when biking? Does the frame come with rear dropouts preinstalled?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Great. What is your opinion on BB92 bracket? Is more durable than a "traditional" design? Did you notice any benefits when biking? Does the frame come with rear dropouts preinstalled?
    Supposedly the BB92 is supposed to make the bottom bracket stiffer. Maybe it is, but it is not noticeably stiffer than my chinese carbon frame. As far as durable, I would suspect there is no difference. The bearings themselves are in basically the same position as a traditional external cup BB, so I see no reason to think it is more durable. To me the big benefit is the ease of installation and removal. With threaded BBs, the cups can get pretty tight if you don't remove them for a while and can be pretty tough to get out. The rear drop outs were not installed. When installing them you MUST use grease on the bolts. The bolts come with loctite on them, so I did not grease them because it really isn't proper to grease a bolt if you are using loctite. However all 4 of my bolts seized from galling before I could get them tightened down and I had to get another set. I was also told to make sure I grease them. I really don't understand why they don't include installation instructions for the swap outs with the frame.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast