Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

My Lurcher Single Speed

Here is my Lurcher set up single speed....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Lurcher  Single Speed-lurcher-2.jpg  

My Lurcher  Single Speed-lurcher-3b.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Very nice. Mine is arriving today. How do you like the handling? Weight?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Its kinda pudgy. The loop fork is heavy but super smooth and doesnt have any flex so it stays on for now. The bike comes in t 20lbs 10oz. The bike handles very well in the twisty stuff. Its one of 4 singlespeeds in my the stable.

We have five On*Ones at the shop I work at. 2 lurchers, 2 Scandals, and 1 2011 Inbred swap out.( I like the old geo. better)

My Lurcher Build:
    Lurcher Single Speed frame (med)
    White Brothers Loop, 80mm
    Chris Ling Inset 3 Headset
    Race Face Turbine Stem
    FSA SLK handlebars, Chunky Grips, red bell
    Hope Race X2 evos
    Noir 3.3 carbon cranks, Sram pres fit BB92, Egg Beater 2 pedals
    Salsa 32t chain ring, Sram SS chain, Surly 17t cog, Surly spacer kit
    Sun Ringle Black Flag Pro wheels with bolt on 12mm step down axle
    Specialized Fast Traxx S-Work 2.0 tires (tubeless)
    Woodman seatpost, forte collar, sella italia seat.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Here is one more pic.... I really Love this bike. I did 21 miles at Huntsville State Park outside of Houston Today and its a joy to ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Lurcher  Single Speed-lurcher-4b.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Click Click Boom View Post
    Here is my Lurcher set up single speed....

Quick question... Does the Lurcher SS have cable stops for a rear derailleur? I'm thinking about one but I may want to run it 1x10 on occasion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo722 View Post
    Quick question... Does the Lurcher SS have cable stops for a rear derailleur? I'm thinking about one but I may want to run it 1x10 on occasion.
    No. No cable stops. I use mine 2x10 on occasion and use the stop in the deraileur. Works fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jjmtb1 View Post
    No. No cable stops. I use mine 2x10 on occasion and use the stop in the deraileur. Works fine.
    So you run a full length cable and zip tie it, or something, to the frame?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo722 View Post
    So you run a full length cable and zip tie it, or something, to the frame?
    Yes. They sell little stick on thing-a-ma-jigs at various online outlets to hold full cables. I think I got mine from pricepoint. 3 for $10 or something like that. Zips work too but kind of ghetto.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Still waiting on my frame to show up, getting a little anxious. Going to swap most parts over from my current bike so the build will be as follows
    Lurcher SS frame
    Titec Carbon Flat Tracker bars
    Titec Pluto Carbon Post
    Simano XT brakes with 160 Ice Tech rotors
    Stans Crest on ZTR hubs with 9 and 10 mm thru bolts
    WTB Devo carbon and ti saddle
    On One Smoothie Headset
    Continental X King Tire
    Continental Race King Tire
    Fox F29 100mm
    E*thirteen XC Single Cranks
    Crank Brothers Candy pedals

Nothing to crazy but should be a nice durable build.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I thought stans ss hub was quick release only? I just built a set of flows on Ringle singlespeed dirty fleas for the last swap out 29er Inbred :-)

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    what are your other SS bikes and how does this compare? I'm also interested in how the fork compares to others you've ridden.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I work at a bikeshop so I somehow of ended up with five singlespeeds. I'm like the crazy cat lady that never took her cats to get snipped and now all my bikes keep breeding...

Here is the list:
    1. Vassago Optimus ti
    2. Ragley TD:1
    3. Canfield Brothers Nimble 9
    4. On One Lurcher
    5. On One 2011 Inbred 29er Swapout.

I have had many other bikes over the past few years. Niners, Salsa's ect. And I have narrowed down my prefrence to the On One and Nimble 9. I love the way the Lurcher handles the East Texas trails. It rides Similar to a Niner for a large pile less money.

I went with the loop because I wanted a stiff fork that didn't need a lockout when I am out of saddle. The fork works as advertised my only issue with it is that its heavy. It has much less flex that the Reba XX I'm runing on the Nimble and the Vassago. I'm going to put a loop on the nimble soon.

I'm really happy with the bike, so much so that I just finished building the older geo. Inbred for around 1k.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I thought stans ss hub was quick release only? I just built a set of flows on Ringle singlespeed dirty fleas for the last swap out 29er Inbred :-)
    The Stan's hubs are convertible you just need to change the end caps. I was using qr and switched to the Hadley thru bolts and noticed less creaking and an increase in stiffness.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I work at a bikeshop so I somehow of ended up with five singlespeeds. I'm like the crazy cat lady that never took her cats to get snipped and now all my bikes keep breeding...

Here is the list:
    1. Vassago Optimus ti
    2. Ragley TD:1
    3. Canfield Brothers Nimble 9
    4. On One Lurcher
    5. On One 2011 Inbred 29er Swapout.

I have had many other bikes over the past few years. Niners, Salsa's ect. And I have narrowed down my prefrence to the On One and Nimble 9. I love the way the Lurcher handles the East Texas trails. It rides Similar to a Niner for a large pile less money.

I went with the loop because I wanted a stiff fork that didn't need a lockout when I am out of saddle. The fork works as advertised my only issue with it is that its heavy. It has much less flex that the Reba XX I'm runing on the Nimble and the Vassago. I'm going to put a loop on the nimble soon.

I'm really happy with the bike, so much so that I just finished building the older geo. Inbred for around 1k.
    Thanks for the info...

Myself, I've ridden Scandium Niner frames from V2 until they were discontinued. I really liked how those bikes rode. I have an (09?) El Mariachi - the red true temper one - that I like, but don't really ride much. My go to singlespeed these days is an older Spot Brand frame from before they sold out. I like that frame, but the beef I have with it is that tire clearance is atrocious. I have not ridden any carbon bikes, but the price of the On One is very appealing. I've always said that I wouldn't buy a carbon bike, but I would race one if it was given to me... well, at $400 for the frame, it might as well be given away.

The Fork... Is the Loop fork the same internals as the magic forks? I had one of those and it was - OK. It was nice and firm most of the time, which is great on the SS and it opened up for the big stuff. I liked those attributes. What I didn't like is how it would lock out on chattery stuff because the "smart" valve (or whatever it was called) thought I was bobbing from pedaling. Other than that, it was a decent fork - though not as smooth as any of my Fox Forks - and weight was competitive enough. Lately, a lot of my friends have had issues with newer Fox forks. So much so, that It's making me look elsewhere for my next squishy fork.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    We have had a large amount of fox forks in the shop lately. I know its just one shop and the sample size is small but it was what led me to the Loop.

The Loop is a all new fork. It still is a little noisy but I like it better than the Reba I have on my other rigs.

I was looking at a Scandal but the price of the Lurcher was to good to pass on.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The Loop is a all new fork. It still is a little noisy but I like it better than the Reba I have on my other rigs.
    How does it handle chattery stuff?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Just fine. It took me three or so rides to get it set up correctly since then I havnt touched it.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Have you noticed if your chain is not pretty tight it slaps the bottom of the chain stay?

mtbr member
    Ordered the last Lurcher SS they had. Should be here in a few days.
    RideMFRide

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Yes! Chain slap on a singlespeed. I didn't believe it. I wrapped the stay with a tube but it still bothered me so I switched from a 32:17 ratio to a 34:18 and its fine now. I love the bike.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yes! Chain slap on a singlespeed. I didn't believe it. I wrapped the stay with a tube but it still bothered me so I switched from a 32:17 ratio to a 34:18 and its fine now. I love the bike.
    Glad it was not just me. The mountains in So Cal will not let me ride 34:18 (or my lack of legs) so I am just going to tape it up and keep the chain really tight. Great riding bike and really enjoying it.

mtbr member
    Questions to the owners running their Lurchers in single speed mode.
    At this point the horizontal drop-outs with no provision for any chain tensioning slider system is the only thing that stops me from ordering. I would be running a quick release wheel, so something would be needed to keep the chain tight. How do you guys do that? I can see a few pics here using what looks like On-one's chain-tugs - how is that working out? Any issues? Anyone tried something else? I've seen a few pics with QR wheels and nothing else there, but find it very doubtful that the wheel wouldn't move...
    Also, if anyone could post a build using the 21" frame, that would be great - I haven't seen one yet, and I'm wondering about proportions. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arek View Post
    Questions to the owners running their Lurchers in single speed mode.
    At this point the horizontal drop-outs with no provision for any chain tensioning slider system is the only thing that stops me from ordering. I would be running a quick release wheel, so something would be needed to keep the chain tight. How do you guys do that? I can see a few pics here using what looks like On-one's chain-tugs - how is that working out? Any issues? Anyone tried something else? I've seen a few pics with QR wheels and nothing else there, but find it very doubtful that the wheel wouldn't move...
    Also, if anyone could post a build using the 21" frame, that would be great - I haven't seen one yet, and I'm wondering about proportions. Thanks!
    Using lock on skewers. Something like this: IRD Platinum Wheel Skewers 100002340 at CambriaBike.com This isn't what I have, but you get the idea. Just have to carry an allen wrench which I already do with my multi-tool.
    RideMFRide

mtbr member
    Thanks for your input, JokerSC. Not slipping at all for you?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I could never get a skewer to work. I use the hadley 10mm thrubolt on the stans wheels I have or the azonic 12mm axle with the black flag pro wheels. I'm. 240 ish pounds.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast