mtbr member
    Oct 2008

My 2011 Inbred 29er

I tried to build this bike for under $1000. The final build came in at $1080. Some parts were used. But most of the bike is new. I will take it on its first ride in the morning.

Frame: 2011 On One Inbred 29er Swap out.
    Fork: Vassago Odis
    Headset: Chris King (used)
    Stem: Forte Pro OS
    Handlebar: Forte Team
    Grips: Generic Foam
    Brakes: Magura MT2
    Seatpost: Oragin 8 w/ guts from a forte carbon post (used)
    Seatpost Clamp: Thopson (used)
    Seat: WTB thnline (used)
    Crankset: MRP Camber
    Bottom Bracket: MRP
    Chain Ring: e13 34 t
    Chain: KMC black singlespeed chain
    Cog: On one 18t
    Spacers: Surly spacer kit
    Pedals: Candy 1s
    Wheels:
    -Sun Ringle Dirty Flea Singlespeed Hubs
    -Stans Flow Rims
    -DT Swiss Comp Spokes\ Nipples
    -Tubeless
    -Kenda Nevagal Tires (second hand new)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My 2011 Inbred 29er-img049%5B1%5D.jpg  

My 2011 Inbred 29er-img050%5B1%5D.jpg  

Last edited by Click Click Boom; 08-11-2012 at 09:15 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Looks good! I love the combination with the Vassago fork!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have a bike building addiction.

I loved the Lurcher so much I couldn't pass on the 2011 Inbred 29er for $175 when I saw the Odis fork for $87 shipped I decided to do a "budget" build.

I get asked all the time "what can build for around a $1000?" So that's what I set the budget at for this build. I wanted a bike that was stout and could handle a 300 pound rider. I wanted it to be a very reliable bike that wasn't to heavy.

The final build cost was $1080, there was no labor because I built it and had a friend lace up the wheels. The final weight was 25 pounds even not bad when you look at the build list. A set of tires could bring it down a bit.

mtbr member
    Looks good, just built up the same frame and fork combo (applesauce/mojave) Quick question, did you have to use a half link or anything to get the chain the right length in the horizontal drops? I used a SRAM pc1 w/ 32/18 gearing and -1 link was slammed to the front and +1 was near the end of the drops. Used a half link, but would like to delete it if I can.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Nope, no half link it sits about half way in the drop out. I'm running the same ratio on the Lurcher and it sits the wheel in the same spot.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Here are a few more pics of the bike. These were taken before I road Riverbend Trails in Sugarland Texas for the first time.

The bike felt great, very solid feeling. I do need to ditch the 800 plus gram a tire Nevagals. They are slow to roll, slow to get moving and well just plain slow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My 2011 Inbred 29er-img051%5B1%5D.jpg  

My 2011 Inbred 29er-img052%5B1%5D.jpg  

My 2011 Inbred 29er-img054%5B1%5D.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    What size frame is that?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Its a medium 2011 swap out. The seat has gone up another inch or so since that pic. I'm 5'11 with a long inseam.

I took the Inbred to double lake today for my second ride on the bike. It handles the same as my Lurcher but feels so much different at the same time. It makes me want to build up a Scandal so I can compare all three back to back.

The over weight slow Nevagals came off after todays ride. I'm replaceing them with some s-works 2.2 fast trax tires I have laying around.

Its a bummer they changed the geo of the 29er Inbreds for 2012:

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    You say it feels different to your carbon frame, can you elaborate? Also, why do you say that the 2012's have a different geo as from what I gather it has remained the same.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The frame handles the same, there was no learing curve from the Lurcher to the Inbred. The ride felt more lively. The impact from the rear wheel was more of a dull thud compared to the quick wack of the lurcher. The front end isn't as stiff on the Inbred as it is on the Lurcher. I'm 230 pounds on a skinny day so a less portly rider may not notice the front end stiffness.

For 2012 the inbred 29ers lost the swapouts, are now set up for a 100mm fork and have a one degree slacker head angle. I'm sure there are some other small changes as well.

The S-Works Fast Tracks whent on today and the bike lost one pound four ounces and the tred rolls much faster.