Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Midge v2?

  1. #1
    'Calm Down'
    Reputation: GrumpyOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    825

    Midge v2?

    Any update on when we might see the next version/update of the Midge?

    Thanks,
    jw
    -

    "And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    51
    In a total attempt to hijack this thread, especially since I have no idea to what project Midge refers, it would ALSO be nice if Brant would provide a general update on things 29" On-One.

    There was virtually nothing 29er available all season. I know the 26 crowd was decently covered but someone screwed up big time on big wheels this year. The stinking teaser paint pictures, of no less than 8 Lurcher framesets, on facebook are at least 5 months old. Some graphic samples on the Flicker official are even older. Lurcher teaseded. AL teased. Steel delivered end of season with rackmounts (non braze semi-dumb) and canti bosses (really dumb) with maybe 10-20 frames per size with no restock. No Ti. No 29er race restock. It leaves me scratching my head.

    Just let us know what is going on. A fine company. I have many fine bicycles from you and one from P-X. Just update.

  3. #3
    'Calm Down'
    Reputation: GrumpyOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    825
    Shiggy - Any update?
    -

    "And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    6
    Good points and all very true .

    The truth is we made a right mess this year of our stock availability - so apologies for that , we are trying to get it right next year and now we have finally made the move to have our own wholly owned US operation - to better get our product to market we are hoping to get it better in 2012 .

    There were several reasons for this years stock situation -

    - Titus acquisition - this was far more complicated and involved that we had allowed for , and sucked in a lot of our efforts , a lot of our focus was diverted to this and although we got there in the end , it was a real drain of our best staff .

    - We truly cocked up our carbon 29er lurcher frame programme - the delays on the 29er lurcher is a simple and painful lesson that we wont make again . The true story is embarrassingly simple and almost laughable - the lurcher was held up due to a mis-communication with the factory on production of whippetts / carbon 456s - we had placed a schedule order for 250 frames per month - the factory interpreted this as an order for 3000 frames and produced them ! Then as they were then sat on 3000 frames they did not wish to make any lurchers . As I said laughable and a lack of clarity in our purchase orders / factory relationship that we have learned a lesson from .

    - Steel 29er frames and scandals 29ers - the production issues with these were down to the new CEN rules , we had to redesign the frames slightly to get them to pass cen - this needed two efforts to pass cen , so thats a 6 month delay and half the year gone .

    Its disappointing for us as we were one of the first companies to commit to 29er bikes and we have effectively thrown away a good part of an early lead we had .

    Still having said that our sales are up 300% and even the most aggressive forecasting couldnt have foreseen that , so keeping up with supply has been very hard simply because our sales have tripled ! .

    They say , and I hope you agree - its ok to make mistakes , the crime is not to learn from them ! so we are trying to move things forward .

    We have made a lot of progress this year as a company and despite these stock issues , we have now a good solid team in place , and we think we will get it a lot better in 2012 . Brant is back, we have a much beefed up purchasing team with some real quality leading it , we have Michael Golinski and Shiggy heading up the new , and now fully functional US operation ., and of course the initial pain of the titus acquisition is sorted so that is starying to run a lot smoother .

    So - apologies , sorry , we can do better , it wasnt good enough in 2011 , we think we will be better in 2012 .









































    .


















    Quote Originally Posted by deltasierra View Post
    In a total attempt to hijack this thread, especially since I have no idea to what project Midge refers, it would ALSO be nice if Brant would provide a general update on things 29" On-One.

    There was virtually nothing 29er available all season. I know the 26 crowd was decently covered but someone screwed up big time on big wheels this year. The stinking teaser paint pictures, of no less than 8 Lurcher framesets, on facebook are at least 5 months old. Some graphic samples on the Flicker official are even older. Lurcher teaseded. AL teased. Steel delivered end of season with rackmounts (non braze semi-dumb) and canti bosses (really dumb) with maybe 10-20 frames per size with no restock. No Ti. No 29er race restock. It leaves me scratching my head.

    Just let us know what is going on. A fine company. I have many fine bicycles from you and one from P-X. Just update.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,827
    most stuff covered by Dave there.

    The new Scandal 29 is nearly here - I've got my approval model just built up, signed off the paint finishes, which means we can roll forward and hopefully have product sat on shelves in 6-8 weeks.

    Pics on my development blog here - Woooh! New Scandal 29! Shed Fire : Designing for On-One, Titus and Planet X from Calderdale.

    More and clearer updates on "what's coming when" next week I hope.

    Thanks for your patience.

  6. #6
    'Calm Down'
    Reputation: GrumpyOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    825
    Still didn't address my question about Midge bars. The other poster just hijacked my thread and it has nothing to do with my question.

    jw
    -

    "And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,827
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOne View Post
    Still didn't address my question about Midge bars. The other poster just hijacked my thread and it has nothing to do with my question.

    jw
    Midges are available in a 31.8mm version which is certainly a V2 addition.

    Shiggy was working on various other bends/stuff but some were so completely crazy the factory couldnt make them unless they made them in carbon, apparently. Which got really expensive.

    I am coming down with a cold, and was thinking about wider and more/less flarey bar options today.

    I shall wait for my cold to go.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fix the Spade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,413
    Quote Originally Posted by daveplanetx View Post
    the factory interpreted this as an order for 3000 frames and produced them !
    Well, look on the bright side, you didn't have t worry about sourcing Whippets and 456C for a while

    It's nice to see the swapouts appearing across more/all of the range. They're turning out to be handy on my Whippet every time I find of those magic Nidderdale mech-eating rocks.

    SS for winter...

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fix the Spade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,413
    Quote Originally Posted by brant View Post
    I shall wait for my cold to go.
    You live in Calderdale, the cold will be around till May.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,827
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    It's nice to see the swapouts appearing across more/all of the range. They're turning out to be handy on my Whippet every time I find of those magic Nidderdale mech-eating rocks.

    SS for winter...
    If you like them folks, buy them. They are GONE on steel frames (certainly the entry level ones) from next spring. Slot Dropouts returning. Just too expensive!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    51
    Thank you Dave and Brant for the candor!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fix the Spade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,413
    Well that's shot the fox, already spent my mtb budget on a Whippet and a custom, so no new frames for me .

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jamie_MTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    753
    Quote Originally Posted by daveplanetx View Post
    - We truly cocked up our carbon 29er lurcher frame programme - the delays on the 29er lurcher is a simple and painful lesson that we wont make again . The true story is embarrassingly simple and almost laughable - the lurcher was held up due to a mis-communication with the factory on production of whippetts / carbon 456s - we had placed a schedule order for 250 frames per month - the factory interpreted this as an order for 3000 frames and produced them ! Then as they were then sat on 3000 frames they did not wish to make any lurchers . As I said laughable and a lack of clarity in our purchase orders / factory relationship that we have learned a lesson from.
    Out of interest did you have to take the 3000 frames?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    6
    yes of course we took em

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    883
    Quote Originally Posted by brant View Post
    Midges are available in a 31.8mm version which is certainly a V2 addition.

    Shiggy was working on various other bends/stuff but some were so completely crazy the factory couldnt make them unless they made them in carbon, apparently. Which got really expensive.

    I am coming down with a cold, and was thinking about wider and more/less flarey bar options today.

    I shall wait for my cold to go.
    So the only current changes to the midge is the 31.8 mm size which has been out there a while. I think some of us were hoping for the revised bar which might have included a longer drop extension behind the hooks. I really like the original Midge design, but the bar is kind of short in the length of the bar behind the drops. I would have thought that making that change alone would have been an easy fix that would have netted a number of new sales.

  16. #16
    'Calm Down'
    Reputation: GrumpyOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    825
    +1 - That was my original question. Shiggy had hinted about possible changes in another thread and I was hoping for more info.

    jw

    Quote Originally Posted by N10S View Post
    So the only current changes to the midge is the 31.8 mm size which has been out there a while. I think some of us were hoping for the revised bar which might have included a longer drop extension behind the hooks. I really like the original Midge design, but the bar is kind of short in the length of the bar behind the drops. I would have thought that making that change alone would have been an easy fix that would have netted a number of new sales.
    -

    "And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

Similar Threads

  1. On-One Midge Bar
    By FROZENSS in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-14-2011, 06:04 PM
  2. Where to buy Midge bar?
    By IF29er in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-17-2009, 12:44 PM
  3. Midge spam!!
    By ionsmuse in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-16-2008, 09:11 AM
  4. Looking for Midge...
    By sslos in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-10-2005, 07:09 PM
  5. On-One Midge bar
    By dirtdrop in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-19-2005, 01:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •