mtbr member

Lurcher vs. 29er Race vs. Niner Air 9

Any thoughts on the three frames listed above? I am moving towards the Race....

Looking to build a geared 1x10...

North East riding - XC w/ technical stuff
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    The Racer is one size only, 18".
    I like the Lurcher a lot, but it is the heaviest of the three.
    My frame is 1624gram for a 19.5".
    Don't know if that's a problem for you, my Inbred was over 2700 grams...

The Racer and the Lurcher share the same geometry, Niner is different.
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.

mtbr member
    The 18" is my size. I've actually looked at the geometry vs. my current Niner EMD - It seems spot on. The only difference in seat tube length - which isn't a problem to me because my seatpost is very high as it is (Onone is a little longer)

Weight isn't as important as how strong the bike frame is (I guess I am a little carbon shy) I really want somthing comparable to the Niner EMD I have now. I really like the Niner - but the new design with cables running on the side is interfering with my knee and it actually is cutting it up a little on the left side when riding technical stuff.

Which frame do you ride? Lurcher?
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    My Lurcher, post #263
    Coming from the Inbred, I was a little carbon-shy myself. (nice word)
    But the Lurcher kept up very well during a week in the Italian Dolimites and three weeks France, including the Roc d'Azur marathon.
    If the 500 grams of extra carbon are in the right place, it must last a lifetime.

More pics here.
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I'd seriously look at the Planet X - Dirty Harry as well...liking mine a lot.

mtbr member
    I actually had both a Lurcher and an Air9 at the same time. I sold the Air9. I didnt have any real reservations for the Niner it just didnt fit me right. The 18" lurcher fits me like glove and that makes all the difference. I vote for the one that fits best. Then I give points to the Lurcher for being able to run SS. If only for geared I would go Race plus its on sale.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauldotcom View Post

ZenTurtle rides both Race and Lurcher
    power matters

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by rhynolite View Post
    ZenTurtle rides both Race and Lurcher
    And he is a SS and endurance riding BADASS. I’ve ridden geared on a 5,500+ footie ride with him before when he did it SS. I believe it was on his Lurcher. He kept up just fine.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauldotcom View Post

Yo Paul,
    We met on Turkey Day ride at Earl's (beer & doughnuts). I have an 18" Inbred that I love and you're welcome to try out. I'm planning to buy a Scandal soon. If I were looking for carbon, it'd be a Lurcher for sure. Drop me a PM.