Combat Wombat

Inbred stem length

I know that this question has been asked before and have even read remarks on the On-One website about sizing, but am curious about a couple things. I am 5'6" and in the process of building up a 16" swap-plate Inbred. I have been riding a 16" Vassago Jabberwocky for the last 4 years and initially went through 3 different stem/bar configurations with this bike before I finally ended up with a Thomson 100mm 0 degree stem and a FSA riser bar level with my saddle. Fit is what I would consider perfect. I know that the Inbred has a top tube length about .5" shorter than my Jabberwocky, a shorter wheelbase and also believe I read that Brant intended this frame to run a stem somewhere between 60 and 80mm. Looking at different posts about Inbred builds, this seems to be about what most riders run, but......is this more a reflection of riding style than a necessity for proper fit? I have read several comments from those that are running very short stems and how they really liked the upright riding position, which is definitely not me. I have already ordered another FSA riser, but can not make up my mind about stem length. The only thing I have in the garage to try on the bike is 110mm. It does feel long and my instinct and experience says drop back to 90mm, but then I read many different things from riders that I believe know what they are talking about, and wonder if just maybe I should try 80mm.

Going to pull the trigger this week on something either way. Thought I might ask those first that are already familiar with the Inbred, when considering what I have been riding, what do you think?

mtbr member
    Fit issues aside, I've tried stems ranging in length from 60 to 90mm on an 18" Inbred. In my experience, anything over 80mm and the handling became lazy and much less direct. 60mm was twitchy. I settled on a 70mm (w/685 bars) and find it bang on.

If I were you, I'd start with an 80mm and go from there.

conjoinicorned
    i settled on a 90mm for my 16" inbred, i'm the same height as you

i tried it with shorter stems but i preferred the fit and "lazy" handling of the longer stem for the riding i did on the bike.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?