mtbr member

Inbred SS Limited Edition

Hey Folks,

I am seriously considering pulling the trigger on the 29 inch Inbred SS limited Edition but I am torn between which size to order. I currently ride a 17 inch Redlin Monocog 29er and am 5'9 with a 31/32 inch inseam. Going by the Geometry chart, both sizes are quite a bit longer than the Monocog, is that correct? Does anyone have experience riding both frames? Do you know the weight on the inbred? Will I notice a difference in ride characteristics? Thanks for the help!
    1993 Barracuda A2R - 1x7 Beater
    2007 Redline Monocog 29er

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by kvojr View Post
    Hey Folks,

I am seriously considering pulling the trigger on the 29 inch Inbred SS limited Edition but I am torn between which size to order. I currently ride a 17 inch Redlin Monocog 29er and am 5'9 with a 31/32 inch inseam. Going by the Geometry chart, both sizes are quite a bit longer than the Monocog, is that correct? Does anyone have experience riding both frames? Do you know the weight on the inbred? Will I notice a difference in ride characteristics? Thanks for the help!
    The 18" Inbred 29 has the same STA and ETT as the 17" Monocog
    A 16" Inbred matches the 17" Monocog Flight.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Thanks Shiggy!

mtbr member
    Wow, you sound like the exact same size as me. I'm always in between sizes and usually go with the larger frame. Right now I ride a gary fisher 17.5" 29er Cobia which fits pretty well, maybe a tiny bit big.

My Inbred SS Limited Edition 16" is currently "On FedEx vehicle for delivery". I figured I'd try the smaller size this time!

mtbr member
    jimmay, let me know how it fits.

mtbr member
    will do, i should have it built up by the end of the day!

Attack Position
    I'm 5'9" with the same inseam. I recently built up a 16 Inbred SS LTD with an 80mm stem. Really happy with the fit and ride. It's a redonkulously great frame for the money I paid.

mtbr member
    I just got out for my first ride on mine today. I really like the fit of it. It is very comfortable to sit down on, I don't feel as stretched out as I did on my 17.5" GF. To stand up it felt like I was a little over the bars at first but quickly adjusted to it and it felt great.

I did get a 100mm stem and these On-One bars which basically have no backsweep: On-One Oversize Flat Bar Handlebar. However, I did not mess around with a setback post or anything, just got an On-One Twelfty straight post.

I took a pic of me over it last night so you could get an idea of the fit:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Inbred SS Limited Edition-dsc_0146.jpg  

mtbr member
    I rode an 18 inch 26er inbred with a 70mm stem and I am 5 9' with a 32 inseam and felt really good. I am going to order a 16 inch inbred 29er though. On one's site recommends to drop down a size for a 29er if your on the border.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Inbred SS Limited Edition-2012-02-04-11.59.34.jpg  

Inbred SS Limited Edition-sdc18160.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice bike jimmay5469, same build as mine, still incomplete, whats your current weight of bike?

conjoinicorned
    Quote Originally Posted by bit_lizard View Post
    I rode an 18 inch 26er inbred with a 70mm stem and I am 5 9' with a 32 inseam and felt really good. I am going to order a 16 inch inbred 29er though. On one's site recommends to drop down a size for a 29er if your on the border.
    interesting, i'm 5'6" and my 16" inbred (now lurcher) fit perfect with a 65mm stem. for your height i would've guessed the 16 too small, as these bikes are designed for short stem use

according to the geometry charts, the 18" 26er has the identical ETT to the 18" 29er, so i'm not sure why you'd drop a size unless the 26er felt big
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by meezo View Post
    Nice bike jimmay5469, same build as mine, still incomplete, whats your current weight of bike?
    Thanks!

I think mine is around 25.5lbs. I didn't do anything special to try and keep the weight down (other than not using gears or suspension fork, haha). Basically just bought some cheap on sale On-One parts as well as using some parts from an '09 GF Cobia.

I guess a lot of people would probably think that is pretty heavy, but its the lightest MTB I've ever owned so I'm pretty happy with it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday View Post
    interesting, i'm 5'6" and my 16" inbred (now lurcher) fit perfect with a 65mm stem. for your height i would've guessed the 16 too small, as these bikes are designed for short stem use

according to the geometry charts, the 18" 26er has the identical ETT to the 18" 29er, so i'm not sure why you'd drop a size unless the 26er felt big
    I guess I didn't realize these things were designed for short stem use, hopefully I'm alright with my 100mm, haha.

As far as moving from a 26er to a 29er, in general (not just inbred specific) everyone I know has dropped a size moving to a 29er, could be coincidence but that's just what I've seen, and done myself.

I rode a 19" Specialized Hardrock 26er, then got a 17.5" Gary Fisher Cobia 29er. They were pretty similar size, but I think the Cobia was ever so slightly larger feeling.

With the Hardrock, I was between sizes and went with the bigger of the two, same with the Cobia. I was always curious if I had went with the smaller options instead of the larger ones, how it would compare. So this time when I was between sizes I went smaller with the 16" Inbred.

I've only gotten one ride in so far, it is surely smaller but I think I like it. I guess I will know for sure when I go to buy my next frame, if I buy the smaller of my two options again then I guess I liked it, haha.

mtbr member
    I may as well chime in, because I've struggled with sizing as well in the past. I'm barely 5'10" with short legs and ride 18 inch Inbreds of both the 26 and 29 variety. The 26 I run with a Twelfty and a 70mm stem and it first great- not cramped, not stretched. The 29 I run with a Turbine seatpost and a 60mm stem. Again, not cramped, not stretched. Almost identical to the 26, in fact. It didn't take any time to get used to.

For context, I've owned a 16 inch 456 and a 16 inch Inbred 26. The 456 worked (barely), but the Inbred was just cramped, despite running a seatpost with more layback and an 85mm stem. It never made sense to me why it wouldn't fit as the changes in components should have compensated for the slightly shorter top tube. I realize this goes against the advice on the website, but I messed around a lot to try and make the 16 inch Inbred fit and it never felt right like the 18 does. YMMV.

However, if someone were to ask me for advice on what size Inbred 29er to get, I'd say if you're happy on a 18 inch 26er, get an 18 inch 29er. There will be a bit less stand over, but you'll have the right top tube length and will be able to fit a stem length within the recommended range (the advice on the website is good regarding stem length IME).

Hope it works out, they're fun bikes and I'm glad to own both.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Flats View Post
    I may as well chime in, because I've struggled with sizing as well in the past. I'm barely 5'10" with short legs and ride 18 inch Inbreds of both the 26 and 29 variety. The 26 I run with a Twelfty and a 70mm stem and it first great- not cramped, not stretched. The 29 I run with a Turbine seatpost and a 60mm stem. Again, not cramped, not stretched. Almost identical to the 26, in fact. It didn't take any time to get used to.

For context, I've owned a 16 inch 456 and a 16 inch Inbred 26. The 456 worked (barely), but the Inbred was just cramped, despite running a seatpost with more layback and an 85mm stem. It never made sense to me why it wouldn't fit as the changes in components should have compensated for the slightly shorter top tube. I realize this goes against the advice on the website, but I messed around a lot to try and make the 16 inch Inbred fit and it never felt right like the 18 does. YMMV.

However, if someone were to ask me for advice on what size Inbred 29er to get, I'd say if you're happy on a 18 inch 26er, get an 18 inch 29er. There will be a bit less stand over, but you'll have the right top tube length and will be able to fit a stem length within the recommended range (the advice on the website is good regarding stem length IME).

Hope it works out, they're fun bikes and I'm glad to own both.
    Using a setback seatpost is not a good way to "lengthen" a frame. It just puts you further behind the bottom bracket while sitting (which may not be comfortable to pedal) and does nothing to change the fit while standing.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Using a setback seatpost is not a good way to "lengthen" a frame. It just puts you further behind the bottom bracket while sitting (which may not be comfortable to pedal) and does nothing to change the fit while standing.
    True- and seated climbing suffers as well. I realize I could have gone longer than 85mm on the stem but then I found the handling wasn't as quick as I like. I've heard of guys happily running 100mm stems on Inbreds, but for me it didn't seem to suit the bike. For a while I tried a 90mm and found the bike tended to plow with a 685mm bar, and 80mm was obviously cramped, so I bought a cheap Easton Havoc 85mm from Jenson for 15 bucks and rode it like that for a while. And yes- fooling around with 5mm increments is a bit Princess and the Pea.

Either way, I learned what fits me best. It was an experiment which cost me a bit of money, but one of the great things about On One was that I could fool around with different frames without breaking the bank.

Short-Change-Hero
    Wow you guys make me feel like I am some super orangutan or something?!! I ride an 19.5" Inbred 29er with an Easton Vice seatpost and 70mm stem. I have a 31" inseam and am 6' tall.. LOL Guess there is a good reason why my wife nicknamed me torsoman!
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.