mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Inbred with slot horizontal dropouts questions?

I'm thinking of buying a 29er Inbred with slot dropouts.

When running it geared, do you slide the wheel all the way forward? If so would I not need the chain tensioner?. Also, do you need to remove the disc brake caliper in order to take the rear wheel on and off? i thought I read somewhere that when the disc brake mounts are positioned inide the chainstays, like on the Inbred, the back caliper needs to be removed for wheel removal

thanks
    Last edited by dragbike; 06-23-2012 at 05:41 PM.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by dragbike View Post
    I'm thinking of buying a 29er Inbred with slot dropouts.

When running it geared, do you slide the wheel all the way forward? If so would I not need the chain tensioners. Also, do you need to remove the disc brake caliper in order to take the rear wheel on and off? i thought I read somewhere that when the disc brake mounts are positioned inide the chainstays, like on the Inbred, the back caliper needs to be removed for wheel removal

thanks
    If it’s a 1x9 or 1x10 setup then no problem. However, with a derailleur up front you need to slide the rear wheel back just a bit, as otherwise the tire will be flush up against the front derailleur! I ended up using two Surly Tuggnuts to keep things tensioned—I am running a bolt-through rear axle setup, so the Tuggnuts fit the bill nicely in order to keep the tire from jamming into the front derailleur.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    If it’s a 1x9 or 1x10 setup then no problem. However, with a derailleur up front you need to slide the rear wheel back just a bit, as otherwise the tire will be flush up against the front derailleur!
    I was actually planning to try it as a 1 x 9. Other option would be a 2 x 9 with a Shimano SLX front derailleur that is 2 ring specific. Its not as long as a 3 ring front derailleur. Maybe that would work too.

thanks for the info!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    If it’s a 1x9 or 1x10 setup then no problem. However, with a derailleur up front you need to slide the rear wheel back just a bit, as otherwise the tire will be flush up against the front derailleur! I ended up using two Surly Tuggnuts to keep things tensioned—I am running a bolt-through rear axle setup, so the Tuggnuts fit the bill nicely in order to keep the tire from jamming into the front derailleur.
    Not true. I had mine set up as a 3x9 with the wheel all the way forward in the slot drops - no need for the Tugnuts. I was using a modified Sram FD.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by pulsepro View Post
    Not true. I had mine set up as a 3x9 with the wheel all the way forward in the slot drops - no need for the Tugnuts. I was using a modified Sram FD.
    I have a crappy Shimano something-something el-cheapo (I think it’s a Deore LX) derailleur up front, and it has a lot of “backhang” (I made up a new terminology!) wherein the cable attach point mechanism is on the ass-end (toward the rear tire) of the unit, so I wasn’t so lucky with clearance. Good to know it can be done on the 29er.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.