Thread: Inbred sizing

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Inbred sizing

Has anyone measured the approximate reach and stack (or know of a way to calculate them) for the inbred? I am thinking about pulling the trigger on one from the US sale, but want to get a better idea for sizing's sake (especially since I may run it with dirt drops part time). Their site doesn't list these measurements, so...anyone? Thanks.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by fotooutdoors View Post
    Has anyone measured the approximate reach and stack (or know of a way to calculate them) for the inbred? I am thinking about pulling the trigger on one from the US sale, but want to get a better idea for sizing's sake (especially since I may run it with dirt drops part time). Their site doesn't list these measurements, so...anyone? Thanks.
    26 or 29? about what size?

On my Inbred 26 I need to use a 35 degree stem and some spacers to get the Midge bar top about even with the saddle height.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Good point. 29". Looking at either the 18 or 19.5. The top tube length would suggest an 18, but that is definitely smaller than my other frames. That said, both my bikes are sized on the large end of the spectrum for me (but comfortable). Basically, I think I need a better read on stack, though I am not adverse to spacers.

For reference, I ride a salsa fargo v2 size large with a 65mm 35 degree stem, and will be getting a slightly longer (and/or flatter) stem for it; bar tops sit a bit above seat height, drops even or a bit below. My touring bike is a nashbar cheapie, 58 cm size (59 cm tt) with 100mm(?) 6 degree stem. Probably getting a shorter stem soon.

Thanks for your help shiggy-it's great how quick you are to respond on these forums (which is part of the reason I am considering the inbred in the first place).
    Last edited by fotooutdoors; 07-18-2012 at 02:51 PM. Reason: add details

Good point. 29". Looking at either the 18 or 19.5. The top tube length would suggest an 18, but that is definitely smaller than my other frames. That said, both my bikes are sized on the large end of the spectrum for me (but comfortable). Basically, I think I need a better read on stack, though I am not adverse to spacers.

For reference, I ride a salsa fargo v2 size large with a 65mm 35 degree stem, and will be getting a slightly longer (and/or flatter) stem for it; bar tops sit a bit above seat height, drops even or a bit below. My touring bike is a nashbar cheapie, 58 cm size (59 cm tt) with 100mm(?) 6 degree stem. Probably getting a shorter stem soon.

Thanks for your help shiggy-it's great how quick you are to respond on these forums (which is part of the reason I am considering the inbred in the first place).
    Inbred 29 geometry

Head Angle 71717171
    Head Tube Length (mm)105105105105
    Effective Top Tube (mm)587602619641.5
    Seat Angle73737373

Seat Tube Length C to T (mm)

Chainstay Length (mm)444444444444
    Standover Height (mm)757785800818
    Stack (mm)594603603603
    Reach (mm)405417435456
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I've got some pictures of the 19.5 inch frame at 3 Inbred builds in the last couple of months
    I'm 6'1" and I have just over 8" of seatpost on the orange Inbred, measured to the seat rails.
    Last edited by Slash5; 07-18-2012 at 07:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Looks like if I want to run drops that I should go with the 18, but will have quite a bit of seat post sticking out of the frame. Hmmm, good to know. Thanks to both of you.

Looks like if I want to run drops that I should go with the 18, but will have quite a bit of seat post sticking out of the frame. Hmmm, good to know. Thanks to both of you.
    I have ~280mm of exposed post.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I just measured my current bikes. With the 18, I would have about 300mm of post, so not much more. With a 400mm post, I should be good to go. Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Applesauce green frame in 18" on the way. I had ordered the orange, but apparently the last orange in 18 was in less than optimal shape. So they offered me the green and threw in some spacers I had ordered for free because of the color change. It will be a bit until it is built (don't have all the parts) but I am anticipating it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    They have 2011 swap out Inbred frames in 18' Orange.

Quote Originally Posted by Click Click Boom View Post
    They have 2011 swap out Inbred frames in 18' Orange.
    Nope, Sold out in the US.

Have a few 21" Inbred Swapout frames left.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    My Orange 2011 29er swap out frame just arrived today. Was it the last one?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Any idea on when horizontal swapouts might arrive Shiggy? Debating whether to run SS for the winter (this will be my commuter) or geared.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    what size 29 inbred should i get. i`m 5ft 11in. and currently ride a cannondale sl29 in large.
    i`m 50yrs old and want a more playfull bike

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'm 6'1" and a 19.5 fits me great. You need to read the table above and see what reach would match your current bike - assuming it fits properly. You could probably use either a 18 or a 19.5.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    just ordered the 18" w/ horizonal dropouts,should work out good