mtbr member

Inbred Rack Mounting

Hello everyone, I never even noticed the OnOne forum before. Probably because I never looked.

My Sand Slot Dropout Inbred was poleaxed in a car accident on Sunday. I use it as a commuter/tourer and use mudguards. So far I have been lucky and never punctured as I'd have to remove the mudgaurds to get the back wheel out. I run Conti 700x47c grooved slicks tubeless, even on gravel fire roads loaded up.

My hope was to take the insurance money and put together a Salsa Fargo, but I noticed the swapout and dropout frames are eyeletted for racks and a much cheaper option.

The dropout frame has the eyelets perched on top of the dropout and it worries me that loaded up on rough ground they might not be able to hang on. The swapout frame is tapped similarly to the slotted frame, but while it's available in my size, it's only available in apple puss green.

I am curious what people's experience is running loaded racks on the dropout frame and if anyone has had the eyelets pop off. This could cause major inconvenience if it happened to me.

Cheers.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicCarpet View Post
    Hello everyone, I never even noticed the OnOne forum before. Probably because I never looked.

My Sand Slot Dropout Inbred was poleaxed in a car accident on Sunday. I use it as a commuter/tourer and use mudguards. So far I have been lucky and never punctured as I'd have to remove the mudgaurds to get the back wheel out. I run Conti 700x47c grooved slicks tubeless, even on gravel fire roads loaded up.

My hope was to take the insurance money and put together a Salsa Fargo, but I noticed the swapout and dropout frames are eyeletted for racks and a much cheaper option.

The dropout frame has the eyelets perched on top of the dropout and it worries me that loaded up on rough ground they might not be able to hang on. The swapout frame is tapped similarly to the slotted frame, but while it's available in my size, it's only available in apple puss green.

I am curious what people's experience is running loaded racks on the dropout frame and if anyone has had the eyelets pop off. This could cause major inconvenience if it happened to me.

Cheers.
    Fender/rack eyelets as used on the vertical dropout frames have been around for decades, including on loaded touring bikes. Failure is rare.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    MagicCarpet I have my Inbred 29 setup as a commuter as well (i have the swapout version also) and I just put a rack on it. all the eyelets on the inbred frame are welded on so I would have no worry about them loosening up with time. I will be loading mine with panniers regularly and I got this frame just for this purpose.

Go for it! its a sweet riding commuter/touring bike.

wish I was out riding
    Nov 2012
    using my Inbred as a commuter, with rack/panniers and it works perfectly.
    it's a really nice bike with a cracking quality/price ratio!

mtbr member
    Rack eyelets won't "pop off" as they are cut as part of the dropout, not a brazed on part.

Those things are SOLID.

wish I was out riding
    Nov 2012
    +1 for inbreds being solid.

maybe not light, or flashy. but solid.