mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Inbred as a "cross" bike?

I picked up a cheap 8 speed STI 105 equipped road bike with an really rough, rusted frame.
    I'm thinking about using the components to build a poor man's cross bike. I'd use it for rail trails, double track type riding.

I'm trying to decide between buying another Inbred 29er and putting a cross fork on it or buying one of the road/cross style frames from the OnOne site.

I'm a little concerned about the cross frame only having a 130mm rear width making it harder to get wheels. Plus if I don't like the bike, it may be harder to re-purpose it or sell.

If I use an Inbred frame, a cross type fork will steepen the head angle a small amount but not make it unrideable - I think. It's 390mm. I figure I can swap wheels around from my other 29ers until I pick up a new wheel. I'd throw a Midge handle bar from OnOne on it. And if I don't like it, I can just turn it into another 29er.

Any thoughts on either solution?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    If you're looking to test the waters and tool around a cross course a bit, then a monstercross bike or a 29er will work just fine for that. If you're looking to be competetive, you'll want a dedicated cross bike. There are almost always 29ers in the C field at the cross races I go to.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    I picked up a cheap 8 speed STI 105 equipped road bike with an really rough, rusted frame.
    I'm thinking about using the components to build a poor man's cross bike. I'd use it for rail trails, double track type riding.

I'm trying to decide between buying another Inbred 29er and putting a cross fork on it or buying one of the road/cross style frames from the OnOne site.

I'm a little concerned about the cross frame only having a 130mm rear width making it harder to get wheels. Plus if I don't like the bike, it may be harder to re-purpose it or sell.

If I use an Inbred frame, a cross type fork will steepen the head angle a small amount but not make it unrideable - I think. It's 390mm. I figure I can swap wheels around from my other 29ers until I pick up a new wheel. I'd throw a Midge handle bar from OnOne on it. And if I don't like it, I can just turn it into another 29er.

You do not want to use a 'cross fork on an Inbred frame. The 29er is designed for a 470mm A-C. Using a 390 A-C fork would steepen the head and seat tube angles by nearly 5 degrees and lower the BB. Would destroy the handling. Stay with the mtb fork.

If you want a 'cross type steel bike, look at the Kaffenback. Canti or disc brake, 135mm rear spacing.
    Planet X Kaffenback ST Evo Frame
    Planet X Kaffenback ST EvoFork

Note that the frame should be on sale at $179 (fixing it). Fork is $40.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks Shiggy - the Kaffenback is 135mm? Cool, I had one sitting in my cart but there isn't much info on the web site.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Hot Damn, I've got a Kaffenback frame and fork, Midge handlebar and cross style headset on the way from the UK.