mtbr member

Inbred chainstay protection?

What are you guys using to protect your chainstay? I have found that the shape of the tube and the proximity of the RD cable limit my options a good bit. Was thinking about some helicopter tape from 3M but the paint is pretty chipped already so something that isn't transparent would look nicer at this point. Wasn't happy with the look of an old tube wrapped up. Other suggestions?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Is that like rubberized electric tape? How thick is it? Very clean look. The inbred frame I have runs the RD cable right down the chainstay and only gives a small gap to run tape in spots. When I tried wrapping an old tube around the stay, the cable would rub against the tube.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cgreen9761 View Post
    Is that like rubberized electric tape? How thick is it? Very clean look. The inbred frame I have runs the RD cable right down the chainstay and only gives a small gap to run tape in spots. When I tried wrapping an old tube around the stay, the cable would rub against the tube.
    It can go on pretty thick. or thinner than an old tube, depends on how much you stretch it when wrapping it around. You can stretch it out pretty thin where you have rubbing now and then back off normally.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    It can go on pretty thick. or thinner than an old tube, depends on how much you stretch it when wrapping it around. You can stretch it out pretty thin where you have rubbing now and then back off normally.
    And you can double wrap it if you want it thicker.

cg, the tape fuses with itself creating a very solid wrap that is still easy to remove later. Does not stick to the frame.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Sounds like my new solution. Thanks for the suggestion.

All That is Man
    Dude, that's awesome. I'm totally buying some of that. Is it commonaly available at Lower/HD/Ace?
    John

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero Signal View Post
    Dude, that's awesome. I'm totally buying some of that. Is it commonaly available at Lower/HD/Ace?
    I always get it from Home Depot, near the lighting section, always hung on a metal rack with some other specific 3M tapes at the beginning of an aisle.. $8.99 for a 10-foot roll. Never tried Lowes or Ace for this stuff, but Amazon also has it in stock for $11.xx. And you're going to have to find this yourself at Home Depot, no one ever has a clue if you ask for 3M mastic tape. They send you to the painter's tape section or the black electronics tape. It's never there lol.

mtbr member
    Lowes doesn't carry it. Home Depot had it though. And Eurospek is correct, they have NO CLUE what you mean by "Rubber Mastic tape".

BTW, this stuff worked great!