mtbr member

Inbred 29er Tire Clearance

I couldn't find any running list, but i'm looking to find a list of tire/rim combinations that will fit the 29er Inbred frame (or better yet, ones that don't).

Right now im about to order some Velocity Blunt 35 / P35 rims and running a Continental Race King 2.2 in the rear. Im pretty confident this will fit but im worried that i'll be limited for other tire choices with such a wide rim in the rear. I should also mention that its an LTD frame with the horizontal dropouts so the tire will be pulled back in the dropouts some amount. Does anyone have any experience with this combination? Pictures?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Used to run a Panaracer rampage 2.35 on my vertical dropout Inbred. Was getting a lot of chain stay rubbing when cranking the pedals. If the chain stay shape is similar, then I'd imagine the same thing would occur on the LTD. Switched to a Maxxis ignitor 2.1 in the back and that solved the problem. Both tires were setup on Sun Ringle charger pros.

mtbr member
    Inbred 29er Tire Clearance-1596708_223029937889704_2538935_n.jpg
    Inbred 29er Tire Clearance-mkun.jpg

29"x2.4" Continental X-King (180tpi) on a 27mm rim did fit fine in my 29er LTD... but there are only 3-4mm left per side when the wheel is pulled more to the back...

Did I catch a niner?
    I ran a Ardent 29x2.4 on a Gordo rim out back of my Inbred, if I leaned too hard the outside knobs would rub on the stays. I am currently running a Big Apple 2.35 on a Flow tubeless and there is no rub and enough clearance for comfort.

For a wide rim and tire choice I would stay at about 2.2 to 2.25 to go no rub depending on pressure.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

mtbr member
    Wheels ordered. I'll post some photos when they arrive. Tibor what size is that frame? The top photo looks like 26" wheels. You must be a giant!

mtbr member
    so the verdict is in. 2.2 raceking on a blunt35 rim fits well. i would be willing to be the 2.4 x-king would fit too, as its a smaller casing but just wider treads.

Inbred 29er Tire Clearance-img_20140523_175249.jpg

mtbr member
    I'm running my slot drop out geared and am getting chainstay tub under hard cornering with Michelin wild racer 2.25 Wtb i19 frequency tubeless combo. Wheel is pushed all the way forward. I really like the cushy feel of this Hugh volume tire. Is an on one chain tug or surly tug nut the solution? Opinions on which is better?

Did I catch a niner?
     photo E2CE0423-8627-4694-AF9F-F1789718F919_zpsyy3h5egj.jpg
    Have the big apple 2.35 on now for a couple months on a Flow and no rub.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

mtbr member
    Tire run under pedal pressure or cornering could be a wheel lacing problem.
    But I've found that wider rims with wider tires could be a problem.
    My Inbred is a hor.dropout singlespeed.
    When I have to pull the wheel all the way back, there's not much room for huge volume tires.
    Vert.dropouts and horizontal with the wheel in the forward position are pretty safe, although not very much room foor wider tires on wider rims.
    To solve this, I changed my Flow EX to an Arch EX, gives me just anough room to solve my clearance problems.

Conti Race King 29 x 2.2 on a ZTR Arch EX rim.
    Last edited by thasingletrackmastah; 07-23-2014 at 02:35 AM. Reason: added a picture
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thasingletrackmastah View Post
    Tire run under pedal pressure or cornering could be a wheel lacing problem.
    But I've found that wider rims with wider tires could be a problem.
    My Inbred is a hor.dropout singlespeed.
    When I have to pull the wheel all the way back, there's not much room for huge volume tires.
    Vert.dropouts and horizontal with the wheel in the forward position are pretty safe, although not very much room foor wider tires on wider rims.
    To solve this, I changed my Flow EX to an Arch EX, gives me just anough room to solve my clearance problems.

Conti Race King 29 x 2.2 on a ZTR Arch EX rim.
    Were you running it the axle all the way at the back?? I have a 2.2 Raceking on a Blunt 35 which is alot wider than a flow ex running about 2/3's back in the dropout, see post #6 below, and i'v got lots of clearance. I could probably run all the way back in the dropout with that tire. At 2/3'd back i can certainly run the 2.4 x-king i'v got in the front, but that would probably rub as you mentioned near the back.

By the way, how does the size of the big apple compare to the the race king 2.2 on a flow? I was worried about possible rubbing with a super moto in the back.