mtbr member
    May 2007

Inbred 29er sizing question (another)

Hey guys!
    I know there are some threads covering Inbred 29er sizing but not for tall dudes. I know this might be a bit silly of me asking but I want to cover all bases before ordering, so here goes. I'm thinking of building up a rigid Inbred 29er and am 6'4" tall so I should be on a 21" I guess. But comparing the geo for an Inbred 29 to my current FS bike (Transition Covert size L) one can see that it's quite similar to a 19.5" Inbred 29 and sometimes spot on. Stack height on an Inbred is lower than the Covert but on all other points it's longer or the same as the Covert.

I'm really comfy on my Covert (60 mm stem and in-lind seat post) and want a bike with a cockpit similar to that. I had 20" 456 a couple of years ago and remember it being long long long. There aren't any 19.5" inbred around here that I can swing my leg over, so... I've never tried a 29er and guess the riding style may differ from a 26 FS bike. I'm gonna ride the same trails though.

So, should I stop thinking too much and just go with On-one's sizing guide and order a 21"? Any thoughts?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    What's your inseam?
    I'm 6' 1" and wear a 32" pants but measured for a bike I'm 34".
    I ride a 19.5 and feel like it is perfect.
    Sounds like a small cockpit you are riding. Is it a 26er?
    Straight seatpost and a 60mm stem? I ride with a setback seatpost and a 80-90mm stem.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    My inseam is about 37", so the seat post is quite high Yes, it's quite a small cockpit (and a 26er) but feels great. I mostly do really technical riding, both climbs and descents, and sometimes taking it to a bikepark, so there's not a lot of pedalling on flattish ground going on on this bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I don't think it is going to work.
    I run my seatpost at about 22 cm from seat tube to seat rail.
    You have 3 inch longer inseam, about 7.5 cm so in theory you would need your seatpost 29.5 high. A 400mm seatpost has 30 cm useable.
    If you can find a 450mm seatpost it could work.
    I'd hit the local bike shops and try a few bikes with similar geometries. I've found the Kona Unit to be a lot like an Inbred.

Also, what is your stem height like on your 26er? I assume with the setup you are talking about, you must run a big difference in seat to handlebar height?
    A 29er is going to have a higher handlebar height which will reduce your reach, make the cockpit feel smaller.
    Take a look at the pictures comparing a 26er and 29er in this thread.
    3 Inbred builds in the last couple of months

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks! I'm gonna go with a XL.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006