mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Inbred 29er with 'short' fork

Hi Guys,
    Anyone using an Inbred 29er with a short (445mm) AC length rigid fork and if so how does the beast handle in comparison to the standard 470mm?

Cheers

Steve

mtbr member
    Look for a Ragley TD:1

mtbr member
    Resurrecting this thread.

I was also looking into this, with the possibility of running a 440mm fork on my inbred 29er. I've seen discussion that the handling would be too twitchy, but the TD:1, with a similar setup, seems to be well loved. I cant find exact geo details of the TD:1 so i cant compare directly.

Anyone have any experience running a 440mm fork on an Inbred 29er?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    OS bikes is kinda the same concept, you can go as low as 435mm for a hta of 74 degrees, just depends on what you're looking for I guess. Watch your weight distribution, you're steepening the sta also. Maybe with a setback seatpost and a short stem, you might not kill yourself

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaDave View Post
    ...you might not kill yourself
    encouraging.

I was actually going to reference the OS Blackbuck, which i read is similar. Seems like no-one has a particular beef with handling of those...

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    the designer (of the on-one) responded to a similar question elsewhere by saying something like, "it'll be fine as long as you don't go off road, or around turns"

mtbr member
    I regret selling my TD:1
    Chumba Stella
    King Cielo
    Vassago Op Ti-For Sale
    Vassago VerHauen-For Sale
    Kestrel Legend SL
    Soma Rush
    Fuji Granfondo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaDave View Post
    the designer (of the on-one) responded to a similar question elsewhere by saying something like, "it'll be fine as long as you don't go off road, or around turns"
    I saw that post from Brant. I believe he included fixed gear, and the possibility of death....... Sometimes its really hard to read the sarcastic tone of otherwise serious people on a mountain biking forum.

It would of been useful to have an even half-@ssed response from the designer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I think the point is, he didn't design it so your weight would be that far forward. Leaving aside the endo issue for a moment, I'll bet you have issues with traction. No weight on the rear, too much on the front. Either one can break traction and slide. I don't know what yall call in in mountain biking; in motorcycling, when the front tire gives way, that's called a "high side" and it is not very refreshing.

You can get an OS frame with fork for ~$700, which is an awesome deal. The $300 you save building a Frankenbike might not seem like such a great deal if you don't like it after one ride. Call em up, the designer is real nice. Cool guy, knows a lot (a real lot) about 29er design.

I don't think Richards is still with On-One, not sure anyone still there is all that great a resource design-wise, so far that's been my experience anyway. He gave an interview on what he was thinking as he developed the Inbred, worth googling up. It's on the Internet somewhere.

mtbr member
    someone check my math here...

I've run this frame with a Kona P2 and a Reba 100mm(51mm offset).

with the P2, i calculate a trail of 67mm, and with an 80mm stem i would describe the handling as neutral.

with the 51mm offset reba and a 50mm stem, i calculated a 64mm trail and the handling is super fast, borderline twitchy, and was almost un-rideable until i got the hang of it. Definitely needs a longer stem.

with a 440mm fork with a 38mm offset, i calculated 66mm of trail, which is really close to what it is now with the p2. so aside from shifting weight slightly forward, and the lower bottom bracket (already a really high bottom bracket?), would the handling actually be affected that much?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    With Surly Instigator fork On-One Inbred 29er - Pedal Room