Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Team NFI
    Mar 2007

Inbred 29 AM Build?

Wondering if anyone has built one up less xc oriented. Read the Singletrack #75 review and they make it sound more AM oriented. Curious as I consider any size rock or log on the trail a challenge. Why my Stylus has a bash guard.
    If you hurt in your efforts and suffer painful dings. Then you are doing it right.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    i run mine w/ 100mm fork and bomb downhills and small drops w/o any problems.
    i have a cannodale sl2 29er and much prefer the inbred.
    i`m also a 6`0 240lb`er on a med. frame. run mine 2x9

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by yz129 View Post
    i run mine w/ 100mm fork and bomb downhills and small drops w/o any problems.
    i have a cannodale sl2 29er and much prefer the inbred.
    i`m also a 6`0 240lb`er on a med. frame. run mine 2x9
    Pic's of your set up?

I have been stuck between the Nimble 9 and Inbred... austerity looks at the Inbred while the "I want" side is the Nimble 9 or Honzo. If only the Inbred came with the sliding drop outs like the Honzo it would be so much easier.

Also hard when all you seem to see is Inbred's in more of a XC type set up.
    If you hurt in your efforts and suffer painful dings. Then you are doing it right.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Pic's of your set up?

I have been stuck between the Nimble 9 and Inbred... austerity looks at the Inbred while the "I want" side is the Nimble 9 or Honzo. If only the Inbred came with the sliding drop outs like the Honzo it would be so much easier.

Also hard when all you seem to see is Inbred's in more of a XC type set up.

sorry no pics,broke camera hope santa brings me one.
    the inbred does come w/sliding dropouts,it`s a little further down the page on their site.
    i dont have any experiance w/ the nimble or honzo though i hear good things about them.
    i looked at the cost vs. and chose the inbred and have not been disapointed at all.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by yz129 View Post
    sorry no pics,broke camera hope santa brings me one.
    the inbred does come w/sliding dropouts,it`s a little further down the page on their site.
    i dont have any experiance w/ the nimble or honzo though i hear good things about them.
    i looked at the cost vs. and chose the inbred and have not been disapointed at all.
    I have seen the horizontal version but not my thing. If I was to go that route much rather see the sliding Numble 9 drop outs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    There is one with replaceable dropouts and the single speed ones are slotted, but the vertical dropouts are not adjustable.

I think the biggest argument for the Inbred is the price - there is a 19.5 teal vertical dropout frame in the clearance section for $163. If you build it up and don't like it, flog it for $100 and move the parts to another frame. Or throw some junk road bike parts on it and turn it into a rail trail bike.

As far as AM, the head angle is a bit steep for the usual AM, 80 and 100 mm forks are recommended with 72 and 71 head angles. I assume a 120mm would be around 70 and 130, 69.5. The bottom bracket height would be getting pretty high.

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    I have an inberd (setup for commuting) and I love the thing but its not going to be a good base for an AM bike. the head angle is too steep and the chainstay isa bit on the long side. I will say though that is does have a good ride quality! it does a great job smoothing things out on my commute to and from work. this includes bunny hopping curbs and riding bits of dirt here and there and general rough roads and side walks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    A mostly useless thread but it does talk about this:
    OnOne ...29 + enduro HT..why not?

From what I see in other posts, a 30mm change in fork length will make about 1/2 inch difference in bottom bracket height.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    one thing I noticed is On Ones UK sight lists the Inbred (vert drop out)as 69 deg head tube angle with a 100mm static, 70 degree 80 static and 71 degree with a sagged 80mm which conflicts with info on the US site.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Heres a pic of mine (large frame) almost finished w/100mm Fox G2 F29. Its set up 1x9 with Blackspire stinger and bashwich.

2012-11-29_13-11-06_418
    2012-11-29_13-11-55_685

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jadave76 View Post
    Heres a pic of mine (large frame) almost finished w/100mm Fox G2 F29. Its set up 1x9 with Blackspire stinger and bashwich.

2012-11-29_13-11-06_418
    2012-11-29_13-11-55_685
    Nice.

mtbr member
    That is nice indeed.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    jadave76 intersting build as I didn't think there was much in the way of tech in Florida.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    There is actually. There are a couple ex mining areas turned state parks with lots of technical up and down. We don't have the long descents and climbs like in the mountains but still great. Alafia State park and Balm Boyette Preserve in the Tampa bay area. The guys at SWAMP club have done a great job with trail building and maintenance. There are lots of videos on Youtube.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    There is one with replaceable dropouts and the single speed ones are slotted, but the vertical dropouts are not adjustable.

I think the biggest argument for the Inbred is the price - there is a 19.5 teal vertical dropout frame in the clearance section for $163. If you build it up and don't like it, flog it for $100 and move the parts to another frame. Or throw some junk road bike parts on it and turn it into a rail trail bike.

As far as AM, the head angle is a bit steep for the usual AM, 80 and 100 mm forks are recommended with 72 and 71 head angles. I assume a 120mm would be around 70 and 130, 69.5. The bottom bracket height would be getting pretty high.
    Guess after reading the Singletrack 75 review it gave me an idea. Though maybe calling it AM was to much but the closest I could describe it. Everyone I know here in Ontario is either XC or the Misfit type. Definitely not my style.

The whole chain guide, wide bars, and short stem guess gave me hope for a low cost frame. Already BTDT with the whole long chain stay short top tube nonsense.. Peace 9r. But after checking numbers looks like it will be a 3 month wait for something more usable.

Unless of course a miracle happens.

mtbr member
    Running my large slotted dropout inbred 29er with a 120 and I love it. Haven't measured head angle, but the bb height is around 12.5" static and I like the extra travel. I think climbing may be slightly improved with 100, which is how I planned on running the bike. My fork came at 120 and is adjustable to 100 or 140 via internal spacer. If the OP is interested in pics, I can post.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jadave76 View Post

2012-11-29_13-11-06_418
    2012-11-29_13-11-55_685
    looks alot like my build. mine is 2x9 and no chain guide,lovin the ride

mtbr member
    short travel maybe but pretty much AM everywhere else. -1 degree salckset too, for extra points and awesomeness

the 2.4" On-One chunky Monkey is mahoosive, it barely fits the arch of my poor reba
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Inbred 29 AM Build?-dsc_4946-small-.jpg  

Last edited by fer83; 01-18-2013 at 01:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Any more pics? That looks awesome. Build list?

mtbr member
    frame:On-One inbred 18", teal
    fork: Rock Shox Reba RLT, 100mm travel, QR15
    Wheels: Sun Ringle Charger expert (22,8mm internal rim width)
    Tyres: On-One, 2.4 chunky Monkey front 50a/42a, 2.25 Smorgasbord rear 60a
    brakes: XT 2012, 200mm front, 180mm rear
    Transmision: XT/X9 10s with 9 speed shimano slx crankset and fd. 22/36 chainrings, 11-36 cassette. Saint pedals
    GD turbo, Spec saddle, nukeproof 50mm stem and ssc 780mm handlebar. King cage SS

it weights about 14kg (30.8 pounds?) lots of details to be sorted. I only have time to ride it for an hour around town. nothing fell off the bike, which is good

excuse my poor English
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Inbred 29 AM Build?-dsc_4956-small-.jpg  

Inbred 29 AM Build?-dsc_4951-small-.jpg  

Inbred 29 AM Build?-dsc_4952-small-.jpg  

Inbred 29 AM Build?-dsc_4948-small-.jpg  

Last edited by fer83; 01-20-2013 at 03:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Fer83, very nice build, enjoy your ride!
    Where the pictures were taken?
    ___
    2012 On-One Inbred 29er (custom ht w/2x10, trail, fun & race bike)
    2013 On-One Lurcher Carbon SS (in progress)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by semmiho View Post
    Fer83, very nice build, enjoy your ride!
    Where the pictures were taken?
    c'mon semmiho, it's just a wall!

I'm from Basque Country, in the north of Spain

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fer83 View Post
    c'mon semmiho, it's just a wall!

I'm from Basque Country, in the north of Spain
    It's not only a wall but mud- and apparantly rain-fee place which is actually cannot be said about Hungary nowadays! :P (We have 30-45 cm fresh snow, no chance for biking...)
    You found a very nice background for taking those photos, even if it's just a wall.
    ___

mtbr member
    yes, it rains a lot over here, you can't see the puddles but I was feeling them with my feet, thats for sure

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Btw, I'm thinking on some tuning on my Inbred 29er since it seems it's simply gives me best MTB geometry that I've ever had. Well, I'm also a fanatic of trail riding on a bit harder way and I also like the simplicity of hardtails. (Back to the roots, I would say, I rode 140-150mm travel fullys during the last 4 years.)
    At a first step, I will buy a new 'real' tubeless wheelset since my current tubeless wheelset is only a ghetto-style one. I need to change my Selle Italia XR XC saddle and my handlebar to a new one witch is slightly wider than the current one (>680mm), ~700-710 would be perfect. Any suggestion regarding handlebars (carbon preferred)?

(Later on, maybe I will invest on a Gravity Dropper Turbo seatpost as well but now my abilities are quite limited. I will buy everything from that income that I will get by selling the parts of one of my old 26er hardtails.)
    ___

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast