Inbred 29 AM Build?

Printable View

  • 12-16-2012
    Enduramil
    Inbred 29 AM Build?
    Wondering if anyone has built one up less xc oriented. Read the Singletrack #75 review and they make it sound more AM oriented. Curious as I consider any size rock or log on the trail a challenge. Why my Stylus has a bash guard.
  • 12-16-2012
    yz129
    i run mine w/ 100mm fork and bomb downhills and small drops w/o any problems.
    i have a cannodale sl2 29er and much prefer the inbred.
    i`m also a 6`0 240lb`er on a med. frame. run mine 2x9
  • 12-16-2012
    Enduramil
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by yz129 View Post
    i run mine w/ 100mm fork and bomb downhills and small drops w/o any problems.
    i have a cannodale sl2 29er and much prefer the inbred.
    i`m also a 6`0 240lb`er on a med. frame. run mine 2x9

    Pic's of your set up?

    I have been stuck between the Nimble 9 and Inbred... austerity looks at the Inbred while the "I want" side is the Nimble 9 or Honzo. If only the Inbred came with the sliding drop outs like the Honzo it would be so much easier.

    Also hard when all you seem to see is Inbred's in more of a XC type set up.
  • 12-17-2012
    yz129
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Pic's of your set up?

    I have been stuck between the Nimble 9 and Inbred... austerity looks at the Inbred while the "I want" side is the Nimble 9 or Honzo. If only the Inbred came with the sliding drop outs like the Honzo it would be so much easier.

    Also hard when all you seem to see is Inbred's in more of a XC type set up.


    sorry no pics,broke camera hope santa brings me one.
    the inbred does come w/sliding dropouts,it`s a little further down the page on their site.
    i dont have any experiance w/ the nimble or honzo though i hear good things about them.
    i looked at the cost vs. and chose the inbred and have not been disapointed at all.
  • 12-17-2012
    Enduramil
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by yz129 View Post
    sorry no pics,broke camera hope santa brings me one.
    the inbred does come w/sliding dropouts,it`s a little further down the page on their site.
    i dont have any experiance w/ the nimble or honzo though i hear good things about them.
    i looked at the cost vs. and chose the inbred and have not been disapointed at all.

    I have seen the horizontal version but not my thing. If I was to go that route much rather see the sliding Numble 9 drop outs.
  • 12-17-2012
    Slash5
    There is one with replaceable dropouts and the single speed ones are slotted, but the vertical dropouts are not adjustable.

    I think the biggest argument for the Inbred is the price - there is a 19.5 teal vertical dropout frame in the clearance section for $163. If you build it up and don't like it, flog it for $100 and move the parts to another frame. Or throw some junk road bike parts on it and turn it into a rail trail bike.

    As far as AM, the head angle is a bit steep for the usual AM, 80 and 100 mm forks are recommended with 72 and 71 head angles. I assume a 120mm would be around 70 and 130, 69.5. The bottom bracket height would be getting pretty high.
  • 12-17-2012
    sir_crackien
    I have an inberd (setup for commuting) and I love the thing but its not going to be a good base for an AM bike. the head angle is too steep and the chainstay isa bit on the long side. I will say though that is does have a good ride quality! it does a great job smoothing things out on my commute to and from work. this includes bunny hopping curbs and riding bits of dirt here and there and general rough roads and side walks.
  • 12-18-2012
    Slash5
    A mostly useless thread but it does talk about this:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/one/onone-29-...ot-812494.html

    From what I see in other posts, a 30mm change in fork length will make about 1/2 inch difference in bottom bracket height.
  • 12-18-2012
    jadave76
    one thing I noticed is On Ones UK sight lists the Inbred (vert drop out)as 69 deg head tube angle with a 100mm static, 70 degree 80 static and 71 degree with a sagged 80mm which conflicts with info on the US site.
  • 12-18-2012
    jadave76
    Heres a pic of mine (large frame) almost finished w/100mm Fox G2 F29. Its set up 1x9 with Blackspire stinger and bashwich.

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/53347313@N04/8280771379/" title="2012-11-29_13-11-06_418 by nissan2jz, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8502/8280771379_4bdff21c30.jpg" width="500" height="375" alt="2012-11-29_13-11-06_418"></a>
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/53347313@N04/8280770215/" title="2012-11-29_13-11-55_685 by nissan2jz, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8360/8280770215_8f566b287c.jpg" width="500" height="375" alt="2012-11-29_13-11-55_685"></a>
  • 12-18-2012
    Enduramil
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jadave76 View Post
    Heres a pic of mine (large frame) almost finished w/100mm Fox G2 F29. Its set up 1x9 with Blackspire stinger and bashwich.

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/53347313@N04/8280771379/" title="2012-11-29_13-11-06_418 by nissan2jz, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8502/8280771379_4bdff21c30.jpg" width="500" height="375" alt="2012-11-29_13-11-06_418"></a>
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/53347313@N04/8280770215/" title="2012-11-29_13-11-55_685 by nissan2jz, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8360/8280770215_8f566b287c.jpg" width="500" height="375" alt="2012-11-29_13-11-55_685"></a>

    Nice.
  • 12-19-2012
    eurospek
    That is nice indeed.
  • 12-19-2012
    Enduramil
    jadave76 intersting build as I didn't think there was much in the way of tech in Florida.
  • 12-19-2012
    jadave76
    There is actually. There are a couple ex mining areas turned state parks with lots of technical up and down. We don't have the long descents and climbs like in the mountains but still great. Alafia State park and Balm Boyette Preserve in the Tampa bay area. The guys at SWAMP club have done a great job with trail building and maintenance. There are lots of videos on Youtube.
  • 12-20-2012
    Enduramil
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    There is one with replaceable dropouts and the single speed ones are slotted, but the vertical dropouts are not adjustable.

    I think the biggest argument for the Inbred is the price - there is a 19.5 teal vertical dropout frame in the clearance section for $163. If you build it up and don't like it, flog it for $100 and move the parts to another frame. Or throw some junk road bike parts on it and turn it into a rail trail bike.

    As far as AM, the head angle is a bit steep for the usual AM, 80 and 100 mm forks are recommended with 72 and 71 head angles. I assume a 120mm would be around 70 and 130, 69.5. The bottom bracket height would be getting pretty high.

    Guess after reading the Singletrack 75 review it gave me an idea. Though maybe calling it AM was to much but the closest I could describe it. Everyone I know here in Ontario is either XC or the Misfit type. Definitely not my style.



    The whole chain guide, wide bars, and short stem guess gave me hope for a low cost frame. Already BTDT with the whole long chain stay short top tube nonsense.. Peace 9r. But after checking numbers looks like it will be a 3 month wait for something more usable.

    Unless of course a miracle happens.;)
  • 12-24-2012
    carpio77b
    Running my large slotted dropout inbred 29er with a 120 and I love it. Haven't measured head angle, but the bb height is around 12.5" static and I like the extra travel. I think climbing may be slightly improved with 100, which is how I planned on running the bike. My fork came at 120 and is adjustable to 100 or 140 via internal spacer. If the OP is interested in pics, I can post.
  • 12-29-2012
    yz129
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jadave76 View Post
    Heres a pic of mine (large frame) almost finished w/100mm Fox G2 F29. Its set up 1x9 with Blackspire stinger and bashwich.

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/53347313@N04/8280771379/" title="2012-11-29_13-11-06_418 by nissan2jz, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8502/8280771379_4bdff21c30.jpg" width="500" height="375" alt="2012-11-29_13-11-06_418"></a>
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/53347313@N04/8280770215/" title="2012-11-29_13-11-55_685 by nissan2jz, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8360/8280770215_8f566b287c.jpg" width="500" height="375" alt="2012-11-29_13-11-55_685"></a>

    looks alot like my build. mine is 2x9 and no chain guide,lovin the ride
  • 01-18-2013
    fer83
    1 Attachment(s)
    short travel maybe but pretty much AM everywhere else. -1 degree salckset too, for extra points and awesomeness ;)

    the 2.4" On-One chunky Monkey is mahoosive, it barely fits the arch of my poor reba :D
  • 01-18-2013
    eurospek
    Any more pics? That looks awesome. Build list?
  • 01-18-2013
    fer83
    4 Attachment(s)
    frame:On-One inbred 18", teal
    fork: Rock Shox Reba RLT, 100mm travel, QR15
    Wheels: Sun Ringle Charger expert (22,8mm internal rim width)
    Tyres: On-One, 2.4 chunky Monkey front 50a/42a, 2.25 Smorgasbord rear 60a
    brakes: XT 2012, 200mm front, 180mm rear
    Transmision: XT/X9 10s with 9 speed shimano slx crankset and fd. 22/36 chainrings, 11-36 cassette. Saint pedals
    GD turbo, Spec saddle, nukeproof 50mm stem and ssc 780mm handlebar. King cage SS

    it weights about 14kg (30.8 pounds?) lots of details to be sorted. I only have time to ride it for an hour around town. nothing fell off the bike, which is good :D

    excuse my poor English :thumbsup:
  • 01-19-2013
    semmiho
    Fer83, very nice build, enjoy your ride! :)
    Where the pictures were taken?
  • 01-19-2013
    fer83
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by semmiho View Post
    Fer83, very nice build, enjoy your ride! :)
    Where the pictures were taken?

    c'mon semmiho, it's just a wall! :p

    I'm from Basque Country, in the north of Spain
  • 01-19-2013
    semmiho
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by fer83 View Post
    c'mon semmiho, it's just a wall! :p

    I'm from Basque Country, in the north of Spain

    It's not only a wall but mud- and apparantly rain-fee place which is actually cannot be said about Hungary nowadays! :P (We have 30-45 cm fresh snow, no chance for biking...)
    You found a very nice background for taking those photos, even if it's just a wall. :thumbsup:
  • 01-19-2013
    fer83
    yes, it rains a lot over here, you can't see the puddles but I was feeling them with my feet, thats for sure :D
  • 01-20-2013
    semmiho
    :)
    Btw, I'm thinking on some tuning on my Inbred 29er since it seems it's simply gives me best MTB geometry that I've ever had. Well, I'm also a fanatic of trail riding on a bit harder way and I also like the simplicity of hardtails. (Back to the roots, I would say, I rode 140-150mm travel fullys during the last 4 years.)
    At a first step, I will buy a new 'real' tubeless wheelset since my current tubeless wheelset is only a ghetto-style one. I need to change my Selle Italia XR XC saddle and my handlebar to a new one witch is slightly wider than the current one (>680mm), ~700-710 would be perfect. Any suggestion regarding handlebars (carbon preferred)? :)

    (Later on, maybe I will invest on a Gravity Dropper Turbo seatpost as well but now my abilities are quite limited. I will buy everything from that income that I will get by selling the parts of one of my old 26er hardtails.)
  • 01-22-2013
    djembe975
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by fer83 View Post
    frame:On-One inbred 18", teal
    fork: Rock Shox Reba RLT, 100mm travel, QR15
    Wheels: Sun Ringle Charger expert (22,8mm internal rim width)
    Tyres: On-One, 2.4 chunky Monkey front 50a/42a, 2.25 Smorgasbord rear 60a
    brakes: XT 2012, 200mm front, 180mm rear
    Transmision: XT/X9 10s with 9 speed shimano slx crankset and fd. 22/36 chainrings, 11-36 cassette. Saint pedals
    GD turbo, Spec saddle, nukeproof 50mm stem and ssc 780mm handlebar. King cage SS

    it weights about 14kg (30.8 pounds?) lots of details to be sorted. I only have time to ride it for an hour around town. nothing fell off the bike, which is good :D

    excuse my poor English :thumbsup:

    Nice ride fer83, I'm looking at this frame and wanted to know how it rides with 100mm up front as it's designed around 80mm. Do you think that the longer chain stays compared to bikes from Kona and Canfield Bros hinder the fun factor? Also, how tall are you and how does the 18" frame feel? Many thanks.
  • 01-23-2013
    fer83
    I'm 5.10, and the frame feels like... a 18" bike really :D. I don't have enough ride time to know the bike yet so I can't say much, sorry
  • 01-26-2013
    Enduramil
    So...any riding shots of the Inbreds in action?

    I admit it is winter.
  • 01-29-2013
    djembe975
    Anyone have the newer Inbreds with the slacker head angles running it with a 100mm fork? If so, does the front end suffer from flop and how does it ride or handle?
  • 01-30-2013
    semmiho
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by djembe975 View Post
    Anyone have the newer Inbreds with the slacker head angles running it with a 100mm fork? If so, does the front end suffer from flop and how does it ride or handle?

    I have this model and I ride it with a 100mm fork. Rides very well, I enjoy to ride the bike as much as my 140mm travel full-suspension trail bike. Can be controlled easily, did not experience any nervous behavior during downhills and quite good at climbing as well. However I need to mention that, mostly I used the bike in snow during the last two months therefore I don't have too much experience in 'normal' weather conditions.

    Here is a picture which were taken during those exceptional cases when I could ride it in good conditions. :)
    Attachment 766392
  • 01-30-2013
    Slash5
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by djembe975 View Post
    Anyone have the newer Inbreds with the slacker head angles running it with a 100mm fork? If so, does the front end suffer from flop and how does it ride or handle?

    I get the impression that the head angle didn't actually change. They just changed the recommended fork from 80mm to 100mm which results in a slacker head angle.
  • 01-30-2013
    sir_crackien
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by djembe975 View Post
    Anyone have the newer Inbreds with the slacker head angles running it with a 100mm fork? If so, does the front end suffer from flop and how does it ride or handle?

    I don't know if they did or didn't change the angle but either way it is still outside of th "floppy" range. the slackest it would be is about 69* with a 100mm fork unsagged. floppyness only becomes a problem when you start to venture below about 67* on the headtube angle.
  • 02-25-2013
    meeerkat
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Wondering if anyone has built one up less xc oriented. Read the Singletrack #75 review and they make it sound more AM oriented. Curious as I consider any size rock or log on the trail a challenge. Why my Stylus has a bash guard.

    This is exactly what I'm building right now.

    My approach is mostly about the steering components. I like to ride very short stems and wide bars, so I'm putting a 45mm Funnduro and a 74mm bar with a small rise.

    I'm not going over the advised 100mm max, so I bought a very basic coil fork, a RS XC32. Not sure about the wheel choice, maybe I went too much on the XC side with a Fulcrum Red Power 29SL set and the MountainKing 2.2", much thinner than I expected.

    I'm really curious about what is gonna be, my ride time with a 29er so far is measurable in terms of 3-5 minutes.

    I built it because I missed the DMR Trailstar MKII I had before the Specy Enduro, but mostly because the best bike is always the one you don't have (yet?).

    BTW, first post here :j
  • 02-27-2013
    meeerkat
    My Inbred 29er growing up...
    i52.tinypic.com/2vb3ng6.jpg
    Still waiting for crucial parts, come on CRC -__-
  • 02-27-2013
    Enduramil
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by meeerkat View Post
    My Inbred 29er growing up...
    i52.tinypic.com/2vb3ng6.jpg
    Still waiting for crucial parts, come on CRC -__-

    I zee nothing.
  • 03-01-2013
    The Factory
    Fer83, sick looking ride. I am too looking for an AM setup but only have a 100 mm fork, I was advised that 456 EVO would not work well so I am thinking about the inbred 26er. I got the Recon Race, a sick fork but no travel adjustment.
    how is it on the steeper stuff? mind you, I am just an average rider who wants to go beyond XC.
  • 03-01-2013
    GTR-33
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jadave76 View Post
    Heres a pic of mine (large frame) almost finished w/100mm Fox G2 F29. Its set up 1x9 with Blackspire stinger and bashwich.

    Have you ridden a Fisher G2 bike? Wondering how the bike feels in comparison to a Fisher. I love the G2 geometry and the Imbred is pretty close, as close a production frame I've found. Is the HTA 70 degrees with the 100mm? The deal is I want steel and I have a steel SS but want a steel geared HT and Trek stopped making the Sawyer.
  • 03-01-2013
    meeerkat
    This my AM build, basically ready except the missing front derailleur.
    Sorry but I still have no permission for URLs or IMG tags, so here's the link:
    imageshack.us/a/img10/121/img20130301125248.jpg
    imageshack.us/a/img820/3120/img20130301134217.jpg

    Parts:
    Funnduro 45mm stem
    Production Privee 740mm bar
    Deore, X7 mixed transmission
    cheap RS XC32 fork
    Elixir 1 180mm
    I-Beam saddle & post
    Fulcrum Red Power SL & Conti Mtn King 2 2.2

    I love how it ride with the short stem and the wide bar.
    So stable +__+
  • 03-03-2013
    meeerkat
    Sorry, just a dummy post to reach #5 posts.
  • 03-06-2013
    The Factory
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sir_crackien View Post
    I don't know if they did or didn't change the angle but either way it is still outside of th "floppy" range. the slackest it would be is about 69* with a 100mm fork unsagged. floppyness only becomes a problem when you start to venture below about 67* on the headtube angle.

    one question, what does flappy and twitchy in terms of handling mean? I seem to read that pure XC bikes are twitchy on the DH while all mountain bikes with slacker HT angles are flappy....what does this mean?

    kinda new to mountain biking.
  • 03-06-2013
    Lithified
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by meeerkat View Post
    my inbred 29er growing up...
    <img src = "http://i52.tinypic.com/2vb3ng6.jpg" height = 100% width = 100%>
    still waiting for crucial parts, come on crc -__-

    ftfy
  • 05-22-2013
    semmiho
    I noticed a strange thing when I tried to convert my drivetrain from an old 9-speed XT to 10-speed.
    I put a brand new XTR Shadow+ derailleur to the frame but I could not adjust the rear derailleur to drop the chain to the smallest chainring (the cassette is 10-speed XT). I supposed that, maybe something is wrong with the rear derailleur so I tried to put a 10-speed XT derailleur. The very same issue came...
    Have you ever noticed something like this?
    I have never seen any similar issue so far. (Alternatively I have put a small washer between the derilleur hanger and the derailleur's mount/plate (or so), which more or less solved the issue but I'm not convinced, I suspect reliability problems on long term...)