mtbr member

ho-hum, another 456 carbon build...

I'm never one to resist a good sale...

It'll be a week or two before I can build it up though. Build kit will just be a bunch of stuff I have laying around, talas fit RL, X9 1x9, and XT hydros.

The frame is sweet though. Anyone have any input as to the torque spec on the seatpost clamp? This is my first carbon mtb frame- I'd prefer to not damage it...

mtbr member
    Annnnd built-

Rides really nice, i am definitely happy with it.

mtbr member
    First long ride impressions-

- its really smooth considering i havent been on a hardtail in over 5 years.
    - i am very happy i put the talas on, as the bike completely transforms itself when set at 120 or 150. It climbs surprisingly well on the 120 setting... I was not expecting that.

All in all, i am really really happy. I still need to play with the geo a bit, but overall i am extremely impressed with how it goes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Looks nice. Just one question, do you have anything to keep the chain from popping off the chainring and eating up the frame around the bottom bracket. If it didnt pop off during the ride, it will at some point.

The only weakness I see with any 1x9 or 10 is that you need something to retain the chain (speaking from experience). Other than that....sweet.

mtbr member
    I did have one chain drop on my ride. I mounted an old seat tube mounted k-edge chain catcher last night... Its not pretty, but it'll work.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Seriously? 'stuff I have laying around, talas fit RL, X9 1x9, and XT hydros.'

Looks great BTW.
    Follow me on Twitter @OnOneCarbon456

Hi I'am an On-One Carbon 456 mountain bike, follow me to find out what i get up to...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    nice looking frame and build.
    bought myself the same color.
    will probably end up with a talas 140 as well.

couple of questions.
    do you know what is the minimum seatpost insertion depth on 456c?
    that seatclamp seems a little short, as most regular ones. it's probably the other way around though and clamp area on the frame is on the tall side. would it be advisable to get this On-One Forged Quick Release Seatclamp instead?

PS the reign in the background gets too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ononecarbon456 View Post
    Seriously? 'stuff I have laying around, talas fit RL, X9 1x9, and XT hydros.'

Looks great BTW.
    haha, I build bikes for a second job. I get lots of takeoffs/gear swaps/bartering for used stuff when customers want something new. My parts bin is literally my son's old bureau, and even that is overflowing... My riding buddies joke that I have more s**t in stock than the local LBS. Worst part is they might be right...

Quote Originally Posted by p_cycle View Post
    nice looking frame and build.
    bought myself the same color.
    will probably end up with a talas 140 as well.

couple of questions.
    do you know what is the minimum seatpost insertion depth on 456c?
    that seatclamp seems a little short, as most regular ones. it's probably the other way around though and clamp area on the frame is on the tall side. would it be advisable to get this On-One Forged Quick Release Seatclamp instead?

PS the reign in the background gets too.
    I measured mine just now. It's 44mm from the top of the seat tube to the top of the top tube, and 63mm to the bottom of the top tube. I'm running a 350mm ritchey post about 10mm from max extension and have not had any issues with flex or anything, so I don't think it's a huge issue. I'm just using a cheapo origin8 clamp too, and again no issues.

Thanks on the reign. That's my everyday rider. I love every single thing about it, and it's been really good to me thus far. Almost 600 miles on it this year already.