mtbr member
    Jan 2010

help wanted with On-ONE 29 qr wheel

Have a very urgent question for you all. I'm building up a new bike to race on sunday and after spending an hour or 3 to put it all together, I take it outside to see how it goes and... it doesn't. For some dark reason, during my first pedal stroke, the rear wheel just locked up. I explain:
    The wheel spins perfectly in the freewheeling mode, in the other direction though, it's very hard to turn the wheel. I took the chain off but that does not made a difference so it's without doubt coming from the wheel. It's like the bearings get locked up when I tighten the qr release. Does anyone know what could be going on? Can someone explain how the wheel works and how I can take it apart. I know shimano hubs with cones and ball bearings but don't see what is going on here.

All help is welcome, I wanna go ride that damn bike.

Oh, wheels are brand new, have not rolled a meter, literally!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    So, basically what happens is this: I put the wheel in a frame (no chain, no brakes), clamp down the quick release and the wheel turns in the freewheel direction, not in the drive direction.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    A few hours later and I'm about to freak out.
    The longer I'm studying this hub, the more I'm convinced that it can not acually work.
    When I take the Quick release out, there are 2 endcaps that screw onto a bigger axle. Those endcaps are clamped in place between the dropouts with the quick release. Because they screw onto the axle, they block the axle, blocking the wheels. It just does not seem possible that the wheel will turn around. What am I missing?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

That explains a lot!

I finally decided to get to the bottom of this. It did not take me long before I figured it out. Took the right endcap off flipped the wheel over and out fell the cassette with freewheel and part of the hub body still attached! WTF?
    The wheel is brand new and this thing broke during the first pedalstroke on the driveway? good thing I was not in the middle of nowhere when it happened but I'm not pleased to say the least.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails help wanted with On-ONE 29 qr wheel-img_0566-small.jpg  

help wanted with On-ONE 29 qr wheel-img_0567-small.jpg  

help wanted with On-ONE 29 qr wheel-img_0568-small.jpg