conjoinicorned

lurcher build and review

so ummm...stoked! this thing arrived in great condition and quality appears high. i've never had such a light frame, including every road bike i've ever owned. build to come, waiting for bb92 and seatpost to arrive, have everything else!

Last edited by ferday; 06-04-2012 at 09:30 AM.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    onone noob alert! what frame is that?

it looks amazing

conjoinicorned
    finally enough parts arrived to make a rideable build. just waiting on a few more extraneous bling parts, maiden voyage today! i'll get some dirty pics soon enough...

23lbs as she sits, with 2.4 ardent/2.4 mtn kings

PRETENDURO
    Nice setup! I rode with a guy the other day up in the hills who had a similar setup. SS ratio was 32x19, but he was running a Jones Loop bar with a Cannondale Lefty fork on some Stanís Arch rims. Donít recall which tires, but man, that bike was FREAKINí light!

Meanwhile, waiting on some parts for me to build up my no-so-lightweight steel On-One Inbred 29er. Frame alone is 6 lbs.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

conjoinicorned
    well, i'll throw in a mini review after a proper mountain thrashing, only one ride so i'll keep it updated in case someone searches lurcher 29...as there isn't any threads on this great bike yet that i can see!

took her on a true mountain ride, one that i use for all my new setups for testing. it has a bit of everything; long grinding climb, short steep punch climbs, technical climbs, smooth descents, short technical descents and a few small drops / jumps (just trail stuff, no stunts this is XC!)

i'm using a 65mm stem, stans arch/CK hubs, 2.4 ardent/mountain king, mary bars, bb7 brakes (soon to be some lighter hydros) and reba 29 fork at 100mm...basically the same setup as my inbred. this is my first carbon frame and it is different for sure than my steel/aluminum frames i've owned.

good:

stiff. really stiff, feels awesome under standing and mashing, the stiffness at the BB is noticeable over my inbred 29.
    precise. probably because of the stiffness but this thing goes where it's pointed! the geometry is spot on, i really loved the geo on my inbred and this feels about the same but it does feel less "vague" under steering.
    light. it's only slightly more than 3 lbs lighter than my inbred with mostly the same parts, but it seems noticeable. i thought i'd notice it most on the climbs, but actually during the smooth, fast twisty parts is where i really noticed how easy it is to throw the bike onto the desired line. pleasantly surprised with performance at speed!
    comfortable. the bike feels great in the air and on landings (again, no big jumps for this bike just trail stuff) but despite the stiffness it feels somehow damped on the landings and rough rooty sections...almost planted in the rear end. it's still a hardtail but it is different for sure.
    cable routing is beautifully done, simple and smart. nice job on this one.

bad:
    loud. even the tiniest of pebbles hitting the downtube sound like a rock is going through the tubeset. just riding along rocky, bumpy trail makes noticeably more noise than my steel inbred. not like jet plane loud, but until i got used to it it was disconcerting
    also, the chainstays are very large. my chain was slightly looser than it should be (and of course i lost my 8mm hex cap, which i didn't notice until i needed it) and even this slight bit of extra play cause the chain to hit the chainstay, which of course was amplified by the tubes into quite the ruckus. this happened for about half the ride, when i got back there was only a few tiny chips in the paint so no harm no foul...but i'm thinking the chain will have to be pretty tight / i need to get a chaintug / wrap the chainstay.
    perceived fragility...the carbon tubes are definitely flexy when you poke them. not that this affects riding, but i would recommend being careful when you lay the bike down, and i wouldn't carry the bike over a pickup tailgate resting on the downtube...that kind of stuff. under riding, it feels solid as heck, but there is a very real possibility of damaging the bike by being stupid and throwing it on a rock at the top of a big climb or something LOL. just be smart i would say. also i was scared to clamp my seatpost tight, when i got sick of it sliding down i just clamped it and i'm starting to get used to the idea of plastic tubing. it's a mental block but i'm learning.
    avid bb7's..hard to setup because of the inside the chainstay thing. once setup there is no issue but this bike begs for some nice hydros i think.

anyways hope that helps anyone who might be looking, after i get a few months on her i'll write a proper review in the review section but until then i can say i'm quite happy with my choice over a steel replacement for my beloved inbred and as far as ride quality i feel it's already an improvement.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday View Post
    my chain was slightly looser than it should be (and of course i lost my 8mm hex cap, which i didn't notice until i needed it) and even this slight bit of extra play cause the chain to hit the chainstay, which of course was amplified by the tubes into quite the ruckus. this happened for about half the ride, when i got back there was only a few tiny chips in the paint so no harm no foul...but i'm thinking the chain will have to be pretty tight / i need to get a chaintug / wrap the chainstay.
    Hmm, for some strange reason I thought that that model had bolt-on adjustable tension rear droputs available. Was I mistaken?
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

conjoinicorned
    it has the new "swapout" system, which is basically bolt on horizontal dropouts or vertical if chosen.

i prefer sliders but horizontal can be made to work fine of course!

mtbr member
    congrats on the new rig ferday!!!!