mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Getting some rides in on my bikepacking Inbred

Nice to be able to use the homemade frame bag and get away from a backpack for a while. See the last photo for what I carried in the frame bag today -- 100 oz of water, pump, tools, etc. This filled the bag about 2/3rds of the way up. Bag did not rub on legs or sway around -- very stable. And I love this tire combo, now that things are drying out -- Bonty 29-3 in front and Saguaro in back, tubeless. I have a harness for a dry bag on the Mary bar in the works, along with smaller bags/carriers for the fork. If anyone has a recommendation for a good rear rack, let me know!
    Getting some rides in on my bikepacking Inbred-imageuploadedbytapatalk1362974768.356225.jpg
    Getting some rides in on my bikepacking Inbred-imageuploadedbytapatalk1362974785.145514.jpg
    Getting some rides in on my bikepacking Inbred-imageuploadedbytapatalk1362974800.809198.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eugenemtbing View Post
    Nice to be able to use the homemade frame bag and get away from a backpack for a while. See the last photo for what I carried in the frame bag today -- 100 oz of water, pump, tools, etc. This filled the bag about 2/3rds of the way up. Bag did not rub on legs or sway around -- very stable. And I love this tire combo, now that things are drying out -- Bonty 29-3 in front and Saguaro in back, tubeless. I have a harness for a dry bag on the Mary bar in the works, along with smaller bags/carriers for the fork. If anyone has a recommendation for a good rear rack, let me know!
    I'm no expert in bikepacking, but the seatpack (rackless) seems to be a popular choice. Other than that, Tubus and Old Man Mountain racks seem to be the standard.

I'm curious if you have had any more rides and if you have continued to enjoy your Inbred for bikepacking? I have a 26" wheeled Inbred SSwith eccentric bottom bracket that I just don't ride much these days. I'm considering selling the frame for something more bikepacking friendly. For me that would be 29er, drivetrain options (SS or geared), disc brakes. I like the looks of a Surly Ogre but a 29" Inbred intrigues me as it looks cleaner (no canti mounts), is cheaper, uses similar sized tires, has horizontal dropouts with a hanger for geared or SS if I want, and the geometry should be similar so all of my parts will swap.

Are you running a Surly fork? It looks like you have bottle mounts on the fork legs.
    Ventana El Rey
    Felt F35
    Schwinn High Plains

Project - Surly Ogre