mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Getting More On One

So I took off my tubeless winter tires and put tubes and 2.4 Chunky Monkeys on my single-speed wheelset when I recently built up this Scandal.

It pained me to dump out the Stan's liquid from the beloved TLR tires I was removing from these wheels. But I had already experimented with a Chunky Monkey on the front of my Lurcher. And I knew how grippy, supple, rubbery and high-volume that tire is. I knew it would be worth the bother of running tubes on the Scandal because of this.

Then it occurred to me that, as On One/Planet X/Titus moves into new fields, I am following. And getting some great benefits as a result.

Tires, for instance.

This is a relatively new offering for On One (their own tire design/production). It took me a while to even consider the Smorgasbord or Chunky Monkey because of my commitment to tubeless tires. I tried the CM, though, and loved it. And where can you get such a nice 29x2.4 tire for $30?

Same for a carbon 29er frame and fork. And next might be a Fatty. And I haven't even begun to look at cross and serious road frames.

So thanks, On One/PX/Titus guys and girls for continuing to sketch out the next design and for figuring out ways to make it at a price us average Joes can afford.

Now how about a tubeless-ready version of that Chunky Monkey?

Getting More On One-imageuploadedbytapatalk1373266480.554213.jpg

The Original Suspect
    Nice ride! My Scandal build is slow going but coming along. I am impressed with On One's products as well. In addition to the frame, I also bought their Smoothie Mixer headset, stem, seat post and clamp.

mtbr member
    Really like your scandal....I had one a while ago built up with gears at first and then SS....I've since moved on to an Inbred SS. I do concur, On One makes some nice stuff!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Getting More On One-one-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Getting More On One

This Scandal was the 7th On One frame I have built up. Love this bike.

Was thinking of repainting my black/orange On One monocoque tapered fork (from my Lurcher) as it is way better than the eXotic fork now on my Scandal. But I hate to cover up the great original graphics and paint job, and the current colors do not match the matt black Scandal frame.

The rigid forks are great for smooth, swoopy singletrack and gravel grinding, but I get pretty beat up riding rigid on long rocky riverside and mountain trails. Will eventually get a 100mm Reba for the Scandal.

Have been doing daily workout rides on rough logging roads this week while I am at camp with my son on the Oregon coast. The Chunky Monkeys have been great on the rocky, loose gravel -- lots of grip, traction and cush.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Getting More On One