mtbr member
    Dec 2011

FYI: BBG Bashwich and stinger on an Inbred

These are problems with solutions I ran in to during the build that I couldn't find any previous experience on. Therefor this is an informative post for those who are curious.

The frame is 19.5" Inbred 29er with vertical drop outs and ICGS tabs. I wanted to run a 1x9 set up but didn't want to run a upper chain guide like MRP, Paul, etc.

To keep the chain in place, I chose to run a 32t chainring with a BBG 104bcd outer bash and BBG inner 64bcd bashwich. I also went with a Blackspire stinger (ICGS). The crank is Shiimano SLX M660. To round it up, I used a SRAM x9 short cage rear derailleur.

First of all. The inner bashguard will touch the frame without slightly bending the bashguard inward. This was easy and seams to be doing great.

Second problem: The Shimano cranks 64bcd bolts interfere with the ICGS tabs with the Stinger mounted. I had to grind down the heads of the bolts quite a bit for these to clear. I would not do this if you were running a granny ring as I dont think the bolts would hold the pressure after the modification. I do not know about clearance with other brand cranks and I have heard after running in to this problem that shimano cranks seem to interfere with ICGS mounting.

As far as how well this set up works, I have not dropped a chain in the 40 or so miles I have put on it with some small jumps and rooty technical descents.

Hope this helps others in the process of planning their build as I would have found this info very useful during mine. Here are some pics:

2012-11-29_13-14-11_931
    2012-11-29_13-14-25_542
    2012-11-29_13-12-56_731

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    I'm confused. People actually don't expect it to fit and work first time. And are okay with tinkering?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Why no upper chainguide? Just curious.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I wanted the cleaner look of no upper chain guide so I went with BBG inner and outer bashwich. The whole drive chain works great like this. I haven't dropped a chain but it does slap the bottom of the chain stay.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I think the second issue is pretty common and not just shimano + ICGS related. Converting many 3x cranksets to 1x can create similar clearance issues. I'm running a MRP BB mounted guide on a 26" inbred and I had to hack off the granny tabs on some RF Atlas cranks to clear for a 1x9 setup.

You did a nice job on your setup and it's cool you took the time to post up your experience.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have the BBG bashwich too on my new inbred. The inner just barely clears. If there is any flex in the rear triangle it's going to make contact. I've ordered an Ngear jump stop to use instead of the inner bashguard. How did you bend yours?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The inner is thin enough to just bend with your fingers. On mine it just needed a tiny bit more clearance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Are using the superlight inner then? The OP appears to be...I have the normal thickness.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Yes, the superlight. Hadn't thought of that, didn't even realize the inner was available in the 1/8th. So you've got even less clearance.
    I can only suggest a piece of wood between the frame and bash plate and tweak the bash plate as you turn the crank at each of the ribs. That's what I did only could just use my hands.