mtbr member
    Feb 2014

First build 456-few questions

So i'm about to embark on building my first bike. I'm a complete novice when it comes to wrenching on bicycles. I realize before hand that I will spend more money this way than buying complete, however I really want to acquire the knowledge and skills to be able to build/service a bike. Firstly, I have a separate bike that I wish to transfer the Sram X7 2x10 drivetrain and avid elixir brakes over to the 456 frame. Fi I'm unsure if the bottom bracket will swap properly however. I know the bottom bracket shell itself for both bikes is 68mm. The BB is an external type which I know can be compensated by removing/adding spacers but im lost on how exactly to verify the chainline isn't going to be ****ed when installing on the 456. Should I measure the chainline from the middle of the 2 chainrings to the center of the BB on the current bike to get a measurement? I haven't yet chosen a wheelset for the 456 so I don't know the hub size either which also affects chainline right? Lol. Help a noob out please. I haven't ordered the 456 yet because I was thinking I might have to order a BB with it if I can't get a swap from the one I have. Thank you! I'm going to start reading up on some other builds too so I don't come in as a complete idiot.
    Last edited by Jayrock205; 07-06-2014 at 12:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Found out I was wrong regarding the 456 having a 68mm BB, it is a 73mm. So the BB won't swap from my previous bike. X7 crankset should though with the absence of spacers. Not sure what BB I should go with to accommodate the x7 cranks. I'm kind of lost when it comes to part compatibility.
    Last edited by Jayrock205; 06-25-2014 at 09:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    If you have an external BB then you have a GXP BB. On your 68mm BB on your old bike there should be 2 shims on the non-drive side. On a 73mm BB you just remove those 2 shims.
    Unless the BB is fairly recent on your old bike, I'd plan on a new one anyways. On a 73mm BB there isn't much you can do about chainline - there won't be any spacers to play with. You should end up with whatever the manufacturer designed - I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    Most parts should swap over. Seat post, seat post clamp, headset, and front derailleur will be the main things to look for.
    You may need a different rear brake adapter and of course should plan on new cables and housing. Brake hoses could be long/short.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    The BB im swapping has less than like 25mi on it. I think it should be alright. The front derailleur is a clamp type mount. May need a shim or may not, not sure.

I'm in the market for

Manitou fork(budget friendly forks )
    Seatpost/saddle w/ seat post clamp(idk if I want to go used on this)
    Wheelset(need to do some research)
    Cables(not sure where to source proper cables that will route properly through this frame) Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I have a quick question about steerer length and would appreciate any advice.

I got the 18" frame which has a ht length of 115mm. My cane creek headset has bottom stack of 12mm and top of 16mm stack. Have a stem that has 40mm of stack and a bunch of assorted spacers that equate to about 35mm of stack height. Total of all this is 218mm which is about 8 1/2 inches total. So does this mean I will need a steerer that is at 8 1/2 inches or longer to accommodate this? Not sure if I will need all the spacers or not to get the correct bar height desired.

Any help is greatly appreciated!