Thread: Drop out bolts

mtbr member

Drop out bolts

I received my lurcher today but there weren't and bolts for me to attached the dropouts to the frame. It looks like it would take clincher bolts because theres no threading. Does anyone know what size the bolts are or if you can get themor something similar at a hardware store? Already tried Lowes, no go. Emailed On One, but its the weekend.
    RideMFRide

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    That's really unlucky. I got my 456C the other day and the bolts were scattered around the box. I really thought 1 was lost but I found it wedged into a corner.

I really think on-one needs to do something better with the dropout bolts. I've heard of a number of frames that didn't come with them and I'm sure there are more like me who found them loose in the box.

I feel for you man, I hope you come right quickly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    At least on my Inbred swapout, the bolts look to just be chainring bolts and nuts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    contact on one.
    u need, longer than usual, chainring nuts and bolts.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by JokerSC View Post
    I received my lurcher today but there weren't and bolts for me to attached the dropouts to the frame. It looks like it would take clincher bolts because theres no threading. Does anyone know what size the bolts are or if you can get themor something similar at a hardware store? Already tried Lowes, no go. Emailed On One, but its the weekend.
    Joker, have not seen your email, but found your order (sent to Indian Land SC).

I am putting the bolts in the mail to you today.

They are chainring bolts, but extra long and not easily found.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    You the man, Shiggy!

Glad I posted here since you didn't get the email. Not too many of us here in Indian Land, probably pretty easy to find out who it was!!

I am looking forward to getting the bike finished and taking her out on a long ride!
    RideMFRide

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I just received my Lurcher frame without bolts as well. How can I get them quickly? I'm really hoping I won't have to wait 2 weeks for the bolts to arrive from the UK.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Got in touch with Planet X USA via Facebook. They are sending me the bolts. Whew!

mtbr member
    This seems to happen Quite often...
    I recieved my warranty replacement frame a few weeks ago, without bolts and dropouts...
    Called On-One service and they send me the missing bolts and dropouts.
    sadly the package took almost 2 weeks to arrive.
    About the same time it took for the whole warranty replacement action including transport to On One and back...
    But now i'm riding along, sun is shining.
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.

Just Ride!
    I have a V2 Scandal that is a little over a year old and had developed a dreaded creaking noise. After several grease sessions and checking the seatpost and bottom bracket area, I traced the noise to the Swapouts that could not be fully tightened. This was due to the female sleeves being just a touch too long, so I filed them down a bit to make sure the bolt head would not bottom out on the sleeve. All the creaking noise is now gone and I can ride stealth along the trails. Now just waiting to hear from On-One if they recommend using Loctite on these bolts?

Re: Drop out bolts

Quote Originally Posted by kustomz View Post
    I have a V2 Scandal that is a little over a year old and had developed a dreaded creaking noise. After several grease sessions and checking the seatpost and bottom bracket area, I traced the noise to the Swapouts that could not be fully tightened. This was due to the female sleeves being just a touch too long, so I filed them down a bit to make sure the bolt head would not bottom out on the sleeve. All the creaking noise is now gone and I can ride stealth along the trails. Now just waiting to hear from On-One if they recommend using Loctite on these bolts?
    I would just grease the threads, tighten well, and check it occasionally.
    mtbtires.com

The Original Suspect
    The dropout bolts are the only thing I don't like about my Scandal. Very hard to tighten with crappy chainring bolt spanner. Wish they came with the type that have allen on both sides. I can't seem to find these in the right size.

Drop out bolts

Quote Originally Posted by HitmenOnlyInc View Post
    The dropout bolts are the only thing I don't like about my Scandal. Very hard to tighten with crappy chainring bolt spanner. Wish they came with the type that have allen on both sides. I can't seem to find these in the right size.
    Grease the bolts and you only need a 5mm Allen.
    mtbtires.com

The Original Suspect
    ^Thanks, I'll try that!