mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Dirty Disco questions

I'm selling my old road bike to a friend and need a replacement to keep myself fit when I can't drive to the trails. Can anyone comment on how well the Dirty Disco would work as a road bike? It would see some light trail duty here in Wisconsin and maybe a couple races. Also, would I be able to use BB7 Mountain brakes on the frame or are the road version mandatory? Thanks for the help.

Orthodox Veloist

mine doubles

I use mine for both CX and road. I just run some 35 slicks on it, instead of my CX tires.

As far as the BB7's, you can get away with either.

If you currently have MTB BB7s you could use a travel agent thing with road brake levers as they typically don't have the correct pull:
    Universal Cycles -- Travel Agent

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Definitely good to know, thanks for the info, just waiting on the bigger frame sizes to show up so I can order the bike and get back to riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SKPhoto816 View Post
    Definitely good to know, thanks for the info, just waiting on the bigger frame sizes to show up so I can order the bike and get back to riding.
    We just received a very small number of 54, 56 and 58 Dirty Discos in the US store; shop (dot) titusti (dot) com

Manchester, England
    I bought a DD frame and fork when my disc Ti frame broke. I transferred the running gear over.
    I've only run it as a road bike with 24mm tyres (Vittoria Paves) although I've just fitted 28mm Marathon Supremes after I found the Paves rather susceptible to cutting up.
    The bike has been fantastic. While it doesn't absorb road buzz quite as well as the Ti frame did, it does soak up the big hits just as well. I can compare directly since I am/was using the same wheels, tyres, saddle, bars etc.
    I'm currently using it as my main "fast" road bike and I've completed a couple of 200k Audaxes on it. With riding to and from the start, the longest ride I've done so far is ~175 miles (~280km). I got off with sore legs but I woke up next morning with no aches or pains.
    I've carried my gear in a Carradice Tour or Glentress fitted to an SQR bracket on the seatpost and I managed to fit mudguards; Raceblade XL with extensions from an old pair of Crud Catchers.
    I can't praise this bike enough.
    I've found the sizing a little strange (perhaps because it's a Cross bike). If I'd followed Planet X's recommendation for my height, I'd have got a "Small". Instead, I went for a "Medium" since that more closely matched the dimensions of my Ti frame. Using the 110mm stem off the Ti bike, I feel a little cramped so I've just (today in fact) ordered a 120mm stem so that I can stretch out a little more. I've lowered the bars by one large spacer since the pictures (below) were taken. When I get the new stem I think that I'll move them back up and see how I get on.

My only grouse is that the frame and forks in the USA were, IIRC, 550USD. In the UK frame, forks and headset were/are 799.99GBP. Now that's an expensive headset.

FWIW I'm using road BB7s. They're just perfect for the riding that I do.

Some pictures:-

12-09-29 Carlisle-Newcastle Dirty Disco Carradice SQR Tour by Chocolatebike1, on Flickr

Disco ! Yeah baby ! by Chocolatebike1, on Flickr

12-10-08 Dirty Dirty Disco 2 by Chocolatebike1, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Chocolatebike View Post
    I bought a DD frame and fork when my disc Ti frame broke. I transferred the running gear over.
    I've only run it as a road bike with 24mm tyres (Vittoria Paves) although I've just fitted 28mm Marathon Supremes after I found the Paves rather susceptible to cutting up.
    The bike has been fantastic. While it doesn't absorb road buzz quite as well as the Ti frame did, it does soak up the big hits just as well. I can compare directly since I am/was using the same wheels, tyres, saddle, bars etc.
    I'm currently using it as my main "fast" road bike and I've completed a couple of 200k Audaxes on it. With riding to and from the start, the longest ride I've done so far is ~175 miles (~280km). I got off with sore legs but I woke up next morning with no aches or pains.
    I've carried my gear in a Carradice Tour or Glentress fitted to an SQR bracket on the seatpost and I managed to fit mudguards; Raceblade XL with extensions from an old pair of Crud Catchers.
    I can't praise this bike enough.
    I've found the sizing a little strange (perhaps because it's a Cross bike). If I'd followed Planet X's recommendation for my height, I'd have got a "Small". Instead, I went for a "Medium" since that more closely matched the dimensions of my Ti frame. Using the 110mm stem off the Ti bike, I feel a little cramped so I've just (today in fact) ordered a 120mm stem so that I can stretch out a little more. I've lowered the bars by one large spacer since the pictures (below) were taken. When I get the new stem I think that I'll move them back up and see how I get on.

My only grouse is that the frame and forks in the USA were, IIRC, 550USD. In the UK frame, forks and headset were/are 799.99GBP. Now that's an expensive headset.

FWIW I'm using road BB7s. They're just perfect for the riding that I do.

Some pictures:-

12-09-29 Carlisle-Newcastle Dirty Disco Carradice SQR Tour by Chocolatebike1, on Flickr

Disco ! Yeah baby ! by Chocolatebike1, on Flickr

12-10-08 Dirty Dirty Disco 2 by Chocolatebike1, on Flickr

This response might very well sway me away from the 2013 Ridly X-Fire and onto the Dirty Disco. Thank you for the detailed review. Which Ti frame were you riding that broke?

Manchester, England
    The frame that broke was a custom Enigma but it's not entirely straight forward.
    I wasn't happy with the frame as it was originally built so they reworked it by cutting out part of the head-tube and part of the seat-tube. It cracked at the new weld on the top of the seat-tube. Have a look through my Flickr pictures for the "Crack O' Doom".
    The frames have a life-time warranty and, after looking at the failure, they agreed straight away to replace it. They also asked if there was anything that I'd like them to change on the bike. While the breakage was a real pain, I can't fault their customer service and attitude.
    I'm looking forward to getting the new frame although I'm only expecting it to be a few % better than the Disco.
    I have another Enigma (extravagant I know, it's a long story) and that's been superb and it's running like a dream.

At US prices, I don't see how you can go wrong with a Disco. I'd get another in an instant.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Damn, that is rough. Wish I could test ride a Disco before making a decision. Doubt there's anyone in the SE Wisconsin area that has one yet.

Orthodox Veloist

badger?

Damn, that is rough. Wish I could test ride a Disco before making a decision. Doubt there's anyone in the SE Wisconsin area that has one yet.
    Wait you are in my home state? I live in Ohio now, but have family in SE wisconsin Racine/Kenosha. Im actually driving through for xmas, but will be carrying kids instead of bikes

I am planning on coming up next year to ride south kettle though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalwrench View Post
    Wait you are in my home state? I live in Ohio now, but have family in SE wisconsin Racine/Kenosha. Im actually driving through for xmas, but will be carrying kids instead of bikes

I am planning on coming up next year to ride south kettle though.
    Yep! Moved to Milwaukee for work about 18 months ago. Definitely a big change from Colorado. Hopefully I will have the CX bike built by next spring, should make the south kettle moraine quite a challenge. When were you planning on making the trip?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I live 10 miles away from Kettle Moraine South unit and have a 54 Dirty Disco. I am still riding KM trails in the winter time.