Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 117

Thread: Dirty Disco

  1. #1
    Did I catch a niner+?
    Reputation: Mr Pink57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,954

    New question here. Dirty Disco


    On-One Dirty Disco Carbon Cyclocross Frameset | Mountain Bike Review
    Is any new info come out about this awesome frame? I see it is available for pre-order but does anyone have one at this point? I must say the spy shot frame looks rather nice and it is rolling on carbon On-One wheels?

    My dream:
    Carbon On-One cross bike
    Ti On-One Inbred 29er bike
    On-One Adventure bike

    I love you On-One.

    EDIT: How is tire clearance looking? Could it fit something like a firecross?
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

  2. #2
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57 View Post

    On-One Dirty Disco Carbon Cyclocross Frameset | Mountain Bike Review
    Is any new info come out about this awesome frame? I see it is available for pre-order but does anyone have one at this point? I must say the spy shot frame looks rather nice and it is rolling on carbon On-One wheels?

    My dream:
    Carbon On-One cross bike
    Ti On-One Inbred 29er bike
    On-One Adventure bike

    I love you On-One.

    EDIT: How is tire clearance looking? Could it fit something like a firecross?
    Pink, this is a 'cross race frameset. Do not know the actual max tire clearance but it should be around 38mm.

    We are expecting the shipment within 2 weeks.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  3. #3
    Natural body armor
    Reputation: Zen_Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,166
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Pink, this is a 'cross race frameset. Do not know the actual max tire clearance but it should be around 38mm.

    We are expecting the shipment within 2 weeks.
    Hey Shiggy,
    no 58cm in stock?
    I'm itching to replace my Motobecane Outlaw CX with this puppy, but I'm pretty sure the 56 would be too small for me.
    Here's the geo of my current rig, I have a 58.

    Fantom Cross Frame Geometry
    "There is no A-line"
    Savvy Bike

  4. #4
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen_Turtle View Post
    Hey Shiggy,
    no 58cm in stock?
    I'm itching to replace my Motobecane Outlaw CX with this puppy, but I'm pretty sure the 56 would be too small for me.
    Here's the geo of my current rig, I have a 58.

    Fantom Cross Frame Geometry
    The first delivery of 58s is sold out.

    Compared to your current frame, ours have a 1 degree steeper STA, so if you set your saddle position the same relative to the BB the ETT of our 56 will be similar to your 58. The DD 58 has a longer TT even without factoring in the STA.

    Do not know what the head tube length is on your frame.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  5. #5
    Natural body armor
    Reputation: Zen_Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,166
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    The first delivery of 58s is sold out.

    Compared to your current frame, ours have a 1 degree steeper STA, so if you set your saddle position the same relative to the BB the ETT of our 56 will be similar to your 58. The DD 58 has a longer TT even without factoring in the STA.

    Do not know what the head tube length is on your frame.
    Mmm, now you got me thinking.
    Your 58 is almost a 60 and my current frame falls right in between 56 and 58 DD.

    I plan to ride this also on road, so I should probably err on the larger side, but this 58 almost 60 seems XL....

    Does the frame come with a headset?
    Seem like the UK store has two 58 in stock, but it would cost me about $60 more... I'm assuming you are not expecting another batch of 58 anytime soon
    "There is no A-line"
    Savvy Bike

  6. #6
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen_Turtle View Post
    Mmm, now you got me thinking.
    Your 58 is almost a 60 and my current frame falls right in between 56 and 58 DD.

    I plan to ride this also on road, so I should probably err on the larger side, but this 58 almost 60 seems XL....

    Does the frame come with a headset?
    Seem like the UK store has two 58 in stock, but it would cost me about $60 more... I'm assuming you are not expecting another batch of 58 anytime soon
    ZT-

    We can get a 58 here quickly if you call us to order.

    650.284.5563

    Headset is not included. We have the FSA Orbit for it in stock.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    29
    Will the fork on these ever be available separately??

    thanks Shiggy!!

    Great looking bike, if i did not have 2 cross rigs already i woulda pre-ordered one!!

  8. #8
    Natural body armor
    Reputation: Zen_Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,166

    Just got mine

    Sweet looking frame, can't wait to finish build it











    ZT
    "There is no A-line"
    Savvy Bike

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4
    Does anyone know what the standover is for the 54 cm frame? I need the 74 deg seat angle and the longish top tube (relative to the 52) but I'm kinda short-legged.

    Thanks,

    drbikeben

  10. #10
    Short-Change-Hero
    Reputation: gregnash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4,805
    ZT... I might have to take a look at this the next time you and I are up in Reno!! Have been lusting after this frame and want to make it into a hybrid commuter/CX/road bike for training and what not (FOR SCIENCE!!)... Dont know how much the wife would love the price tag on it though.. Put together a build-up thread if you dont mind!

  11. #11
    Natural body armor
    Reputation: Zen_Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,166
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    ZT... I might have to take a look at this the next time you and I are up in Reno!! Have been lusting after this frame and want to make it into a hybrid commuter/CX/road bike for training and what not (FOR SCIENCE!!)... Dont know how much the wife would love the price tag on it though.. Put together a build-up thread if you dont mind!
    Not sure when I'll be back in Tahoe, but with the lack of snow it is likely I'll bring the bike.

    Right now I'm waiting for the gruppo (shifters/derallieurs/cassette) so I built it SS, using the On-One tensioner. It's great as is for commuting.
    Build so far:
    Frame: One-One Dirty Disco with Carbon forks
    Crank: SRAM Apex Compact (46/34 for CX, 50/34 for road)
    Cog: On-One Groove Armada 16T (so I'm running 46x16 with the Sugino chainring)
    Tensioner: On-One Doofer
    Brakes: Avid BB7 Road
    Bar: Easton EA70
    Wheels: Stan's Notubes Crest with ZTR 3.30 Hubs
    Tires: Stan's Raven 35c Tubeless
    Cabling: Jagwire
    Saddle: On-One Inbred Saddle
    Seat Post: On-One Twelfty
    Headset: FSA Orbit

    Here's the pic as it is now: tipping the scale at 18lb (no pedals)
    Last edited by Zen_Turtle; 01-05-2012 at 11:26 PM.
    "There is no A-line"
    Savvy Bike

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen_Turtle View Post
    Not sure when I'll be back in Tahoe, but with the lack of snow it is likely I'll bring the bike.

    Right now I'm waiting for the gruppo (shifters/derallieurs/cassette) so I built it SS, using the On-One tensioner. It's great as is for commuting.
    Build so far:
    Frame: One-One Dirty Disco with Carbon forks
    Crank: SRAM Apex Compact (46/34 for CX, 50/34 for road)
    Cog: On-One Groove Armada 16T (so I'm running 46x16 with the Sugino chainring)
    Tensioner: On-One Doofer
    Brakes: Avid BB7 Road
    Bar: Easton EA70
    Wheels: Stan's Notubes Crest with ZTR 3.30 Hubs
    Tires: Stan's Raven 35c Tubeless
    Cabling: Jagwire
    Saddle: On-One Inbred Saddle
    Seat Post: On-One Twelfty
    Headset: FSA Orbit

    Here's the pic as it is now: tipping the scale at 18lb (no pedals)
    Looks GREAT!!! I love the bar tape!!! Is that Lizard skins???

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,949
    Here's mine with road tires and a commute bag. 17.75 pounds without the bags, cages, or pump. Rims are Crests. I use a different wheelset for knobbies. The brakes are road BB7's despite the black color.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dirty Disco-disco.jpg  


  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4
    Hey, i was just looking at those rear stays. Can they come apart so that the dirty disco can take a belt drive system?

  15. #15
    Did I catch a niner+?
    Reputation: Mr Pink57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,954
    Yes they can.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dibbs_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,059

    Loving mine

    A real blast on singletrack.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dirty Disco-disco1.jpg  

    Dirty Disco-mtbr2.jpg  

    Dirty Disco-disco3.jpg  


  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3
    Is the disco 'stiff ' ? Back end looks a little thin below the seat. Do you get much flex out of the saddle? What weight are you if you don't mind me asking!
    Thanks

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dibbs_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,059
    Very stiff, and not as thin as you think. Photo's don't show how flared out the stays are and how wide the single stay at the top is. Rear 10mm axle and 135mm add to the stiffness. I've not felt any flex and really impressed. I'm 180lbs.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3
    Ok, thanks, I'm a little heaier at 205lbs but am thinking of taking the plunge!!

  20. #20
    oh crap...
    Reputation: farmerfrederico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    540
    I'm thinking about using this frame for something like the Dirty Kanza - 200 miles of gravel. What say the masses?
    Grow some food for yourself.

  21. #21
    Natural body armor
    Reputation: Zen_Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,166
    Quote Originally Posted by mulvers View Post
    Ok, thanks, I'm a little heaier at 205lbs but am thinking of taking the plunge!!
    Doeet!!
    Little under 200lb here, frame is stiff and well built.
    "There is no A-line"
    Savvy Bike

  22. #22
    oh crap...
    Reputation: farmerfrederico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    540
    Would anyone who has the frame already not recommend it for gravel endurance racing?
    Grow some food for yourself.

  23. #23
    Human Test Subject
    Reputation: Volsung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,031
    What's with the split seat stays for a belt drive? Is it doable with vertical dropouts?

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jjmtb1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    317
    I love it. If there ever was an on-one price for a complete bike I would be all over that! (hint-hint)

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    What's with the split seat stays for a belt drive? Is it doable with vertical dropouts?
    Maybe someone with a bit more expertise could chime in but I think it would be doable with an eccentric bottom bracket. I might be wrong though

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3
    Took the plunge and splashed out!
    Bought the bike complete from On One here in England.
    Love the bike though for now it's not as a cross bike but as my road bike. Put 25mm Conti's on and the bike is as smooth as a smooth thing! I changed the stock saddle for a Selle Italia SLR XC and can thoroughly recommend this particular model, very comfy, even on a 5 1/2hr ride earlier this week.
    One more thing, ordered a XL frame but the 80mm stem was too short for me so this has been replaced by a PRO 110mm.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by farmerfrederico View Post
    I'm thinking about using this frame for something like the Dirty Kanza - 200 miles of gravel. What say the masses?
    Just got mine in a 54cm. Tubes are massive, with a 1.5 " bottom race on the headset and the downtube as big as they could make it. This will be a stiff ride, more so than a steel frame, which seems to be the frame of choice at the DK. I would use as big a tire as possible for endurance gravel rides. I read somewhere, I think even on an On One webpage, that 40mm rubber will fit.

  28. #28
    oh crap...
    Reputation: farmerfrederico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    540
    Quote Originally Posted by mudrock View Post
    Just got mine in a 54cm. Tubes are massive, with a 1.5 " bottom race on the headset and the downtube as big as they could make it. This will be a stiff ride, more so than a steel frame, which seems to be the frame of choice at the DK. I would use as big a tire as possible for endurance gravel rides. I read somewhere, I think even on an On One webpage, that 40mm rubber will fit.
    Thanks for the reply, Mudrock...while I was pretty interested at one point, I've decided to either stick with my Vaya, or use my 29er frame...both can accept pretty big rubber! Running Bontrager XR1 1.9's which are far too big for the DD. Enjoy your new ride though! I'm sure it will be a great bike for the riding you have in mind for it!
    Grow some food for yourself.

  29. #29
    Natural body armor
    Reputation: Zen_Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,166
    Cross post in Norcal Forum, my epic ride on the Disco, with pics:
    SC Super Enduro CX (my version)
    "There is no A-line"
    Savvy Bike

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by craigsj View Post
    Here's mine with road tires and a commute bag. 17.75 pounds without the bags, cages, or pump. Rims are Crests. I use a different wheelset for knobbies. The brakes are road BB7's despite the black color.
    What did you use for a front derailleur? I got my frame today and noticed that the cable routing is for a top pull derailleur. There is no guide under the bottom bracket or hole to route the normal bottom pull cable. So it looks like I will need to buy a new front derailleur.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dibbs_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,059

    You need one of these

    ...........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dirty Disco-discoder.jpg  

    Dirty Disco-discoder1.jpg  


  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,949
    Quote Originally Posted by qdusenberry View Post
    What did you use for a front derailleur? I got my frame today and noticed that the cable routing is for a top pull derailleur.
    At first I used a road FD with the supplied pulley but did not like it. I switched to a SRAM XX top pull and it works fine as a double, much better than the road solution. I have smaller rings than traditional compact.

  33. #33
    Natural body armor
    Reputation: Zen_Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,166
    Quote Originally Posted by craigsj View Post
    At first I used a road FD with the supplied pulley but did not like it. I switched to a SRAM XX top pull and it works fine as a double, much better than the road solution. I have smaller rings than traditional compact.
    Same here, went for a top pull SRAM X7 2x10 and works great.
    I initially used the pulley with a regular SRAM Rival and had nothing but troubles.
    "There is no A-line"
    Savvy Bike

  34. #34
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307
    Quote Originally Posted by qdusenberry View Post
    What did you use for a front derailleur? I got my frame today and noticed that the cable routing is for a top pull derailleur. There is no guide under the bottom bracket or hole to route the normal bottom pull cable. So it looks like I will need to buy a new front derailleur.
    qd, let me know if you did not get the FD roller and we will send you one.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  35. #35
    Orthodox Veloist
    Reputation: pedalwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    134

    my DD

    I got mine about a week and a half ago. I really love it. I moved over from a Kona Jake the Snake. I rode it last weekend in the RondePDX, a 50 mile ride all the hard west hills of Portland. The DD was great, I tossed some 700x35 slicks on it and felt awesome. We used my 29er MTB wheelset for now which is fine as I know I can beat the piss out of them and they keep going.




    My Dirty and Me.


    some close up shots:





    These are my old Conti Speed kings in 35mm size, the bottom bracket picture didn't turn out so I will take another later.


    My absolute favorite sticker (I'd love this as a Tshirt):
    "Rigorously tested by angry laboratory robots"


    Road BB7s make me smile



    Here is my current setup (after riding RondePDX):

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4
    Hey,

    I'm thinking about taking the plunge on a Dirty Disco for a bad weather / light touring / CX bike, but I'm a little puzzled at the split frame design. I emailed On-One's technical department and they said they didn't know why the frame had been designed this way. If it was designed with the spilt to take a belt drive (using an eccentric bottom bracket as it does not have horizontal dropouts), then why is the non drive-side seat stay split as well?

    Has anyone seen a frame design like this before / have any idea of the reasoning behind it?

    Ed

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dibbs_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,059
    The DD wouldn't be the best for touring, no rack eyelets etc. And the geo is a bit more on the racy side. As for the split seat stays, they are actually bonded together I think and don't split. I think Brant said it was done like this as part of some manufacturing process/design. I'm sure he could chime in.

    I've looked closely at mine and they definately don't come undone in anyway.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4
    Thanks for the info ó would be nice to know a little bit more about that, as I say I've never seen anything like it. In terms of touring I was thinking more along the lines of ultralight, fast bike-packing using frame bags rather than a rack and panniers. A round the world bike race set off from London in February and the race leader is riding one of these ó I thought it looked like an interesting set-up.

    I'm not able to post links yet, but a picture of his bike can be found with a quick Google image search for "world cycle racing grand tour."

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dibbs_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,059
    is it this one?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dirty Disco-disco.jpg  


  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dibbs_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,059
    Looks good. The new frames bags these days are pretty cool.

    It's a tough little frame.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4
    Yes, that was the one I was looking at. He seems to be achieving pretty epic miles on it ó*often around 200 a day over rough terrain in places like India and Australia.

  42. #42
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307
    Quote Originally Posted by elpickup View Post
    Hey,

    I'm thinking about taking the plunge on a Dirty Disco for a bad weather / light touring / CX bike, but I'm a little puzzled at the split frame design. I emailed On-One's technical department and they said they didn't know why the frame had been designed this way. If it was designed with the spilt to take a belt drive (using an eccentric bottom bracket as it does not have horizontal dropouts), then why is the non drive-side seat stay split as well?

    Has anyone seen a frame design like this before / have any idea of the reasoning behind it?

    Ed
    The stays use the same mold for all frame sizes to keep costs down. The joint allows the seat stay angle to be changed for the different sizes.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4
    Thanks for the info Shiggy, that makes sense. Do you know how the two parts of the frame are fixed together? Is there any movement in that joint?

  44. #44
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307
    Quote Originally Posted by elpickup View Post
    Thanks for the info Shiggy, that makes sense. Do you know how the two parts of the frame are fixed together? Is there any movement in that joint?
    The joint is fixed. Screwed and bonded.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    9
    zen turtle what crankset are you running with that X7 derailleur?

  46. #46
    Natural body armor
    Reputation: Zen_Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,166
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bills View Post
    zen turtle what crankset are you running with that X7 derailleur?
    It's a SRAM Apex compact with 34/46T rings. As long as the X7 is 2x10 it will be compatible with any SRAM 2x10 crank
    "There is no A-line"
    Savvy Bike

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    9
    I am hoping it will work with an apex 50/34 but not sure if if will cover 16t spread. Probably give it a try. thanks.

  48. #48
    Natural body armor
    Reputation: Zen_Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,166
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bills View Post
    I am hoping it will work with an apex 50/34 but not sure if if will cover 16t spread. Probably give it a try. thanks.
    I think it will, I haven't tried with the 50T yet...
    "There is no A-line"
    Savvy Bike

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,595
    So what is the stand over height on a 54 or 56?

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    So what is the stand over height on a 54 or 56?
    On my 54, with Kenda 38c all purpose tires (really no wider than 35s) the standover is 31.5", or 80cm, midway down the toptube.

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,595
    Thanks Mud.

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    244

    Old School with a New School Twist



    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/alexmurdock/8430691807/" title="DSC04410 by alexmurdock, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8232/8430691807_2222ff3cde.jpg" width="500" height="375" alt="DSC04410"></a>

    My 54cm, with a 1x10 set up and Sram TT500 shifter.
    Last edited by mudrock; 06-11-2013 at 01:45 PM.

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    244
    got it to load, went to flickr
    Last edited by mudrock; 05-30-2012 at 07:13 PM.

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    qd, let me know if you did not get the FD roller and we will send you one.
    Thanks for the offer, but I ended up buying a new top pull Shimano CX70 FD.

  55. #55
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307
    Quote Originally Posted by qdusenberry View Post
    Thanks for the offer, but I ended up buying a new top pull Shimano CX70 FD.
    Nice, I had forgotten about the new Shimano CX components
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    244
    Forgot to mention:

    Stan's ZTR Crest wheels
    Sram TT500 Barend shifter
    Rival RD
    FSA Energy Crank, 42t ring
    BB7 brakes, w. Cane Creek levers
    FSA post and cockpit
    Kenda hybrid 700x38 tires
    19.26 lbs.

    When I go back to my Stan Raven tires the weight should come down.
    Last edited by mudrock; 05-31-2012 at 11:30 PM.

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pulser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,813
    I am really thinking about getting one. But I have a question about sizing. My road bike is a Ridley and the effective top tube is 54.5. The disco has a 547 or a 535. in the 54 or 52. what one should I go wit?

  58. #58
    Natural body armor
    Reputation: Zen_Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,166
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser View Post
    I am really thinking about getting one. But I have a question about sizing. My road bike is a Ridley and the effective top tube is 54.5. The disco has a 547 or a 535. in the 54 or 52. what one should I go wit?
    What stem do you have on the Ridley?
    I would go with the 54 at least, easy to put a shorter stem if needed and won't hurt you on a CX build.
    "There is no A-line"
    Savvy Bike

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pulser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,813
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen_Turtle View Post
    What stem do you have on the Ridley?
    I would go with the 54 at least, easy to put a shorter stem if needed and won't hurt you on a CX build.
    Its a 90mm stem. I guess I could run a 100.

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser View Post
    I am really thinking about getting one. But I have a question about sizing. My road bike is a Ridley and the effective top tube is 54.5. The disco has a 547 or a 535. in the 54 or 52. what one should I go wit?
    My road bike size is a 55 top tube. The 54 DD fits me fine. The DD has a 74 seat angle in that size, so you may have to set your saddle back more than on your Ridley. But riding cross I want my center of gravity farther forward anyway.

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pulser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,813
    Quote Originally Posted by mudrock View Post
    My road bike size is a 55 top tube. The 54 DD fits me fine. The DD has a 74 seat angle in that size, so you may have to set your saddle back more than on your Ridley. But riding cross I want my center of gravity farther forward anyway.
    I will have my fitter take a look at it for me and see what he thinks.

  62. #62
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,583
    This bike is so sexy for the price. I want to sell my gary fisher presidio frame/fork/ and tektro euro x brakes and race tubulars and get this bike and a nice set of stans wheels


    Need to have now!
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,512
    Can a 140mm rear disc be run on this frame?

  64. #64
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,583
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Can a 140mm rear disc be run on this frame?
    If I had to guess I would say no. It doesn't look like the frame is designed to fit adapters in the back. I could be wrong. A 160mm rotor weighs like 20 grams more


    On an unrelated note, I ordered one on Friday along with a carbon expander plug, headset, and seatpost clamp.

    Gonna swap the most of the parts from my current cross bike. Sold my carbon tubbies to fund the build.

    Here is what it will be.
    56 disco with a couple decals
    Bb7 roads
    2009 SRAM force groupo. (essentially rival with carbon crank)
    Shimano cx70 fd
    Selle italian slr
    Time allium pedals
    3t arx team 110 stem
    42cm salsa cowbell 2
    Blacked out for the most part.

    Wheels will be Stan's iron cross(when I can afford them)
    For now, I'm going to pull a set of cheap 29er wheels off one of my shops rental bikes. It's gonna be stout for a few weeks!

    Maybe some pink thrown in... I race for a team benefitting the save the tatas foundation.

    Sheepo
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,512
    It's not the weight so much as it's
    A: my 29er race wheels all have 140 rear discs.
    B: A 160 may be too much brake with a cross tire. I run 35 Maxxi Raze tires in short track races....even with a 140 disc, it's too easy to get the rear tire to chatter or lock in race situations with hdyro brakes. And the BB7's I've tried have less modulation...either on or off.

    I plan on using the DD as B bike it's really muddy or icy at cross races. And as a dirt road / winter / rain road bike. I have a 16 lb Colnago C50 cross that is my A bike for racing.

  66. #66
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    It's not the weight so much as it's
    A: my 29er race wheels all have 140 rear discs.
    B: A 160 may be too much brake with a cross tire. I run 35 Maxxi Raze tires in short track races....even with a 140 disc, it's too easy to get the rear tire to chatter or lock in race situations with hdyro brakes. And the BB7's I've tried have less modulation...either on or off.

    I plan on using the DD as B bike it's really muddy or icy at cross races. And as a dirt road / winter / rain road bike. I have a 16 lb Colnago C50 cross that is my A bike for racing.
    The DD is 160mm minimum rear.

    BB7s can be setup for better modulation. The adjustability is one of their advantages over hydros. You can get almost any feel you want.

    For more modulation, instead of setting the inner (fixed) pad as close to the rotor as possible, turn the knob out a click or two. Then adjust the outer pad for the lever contact point. Gives more progressive bite and the braking is easier to feather.

    And you do not need the lever to feel "hard" to have good braking. Let the pad contact point be fairly close to the bar. Having your fingers closer in increases your ability to modulate.

    I use the BB7 Road with road STI levers, 185/160 rotors on most of my bikes and tires as narrow as 23mm. Plenty of power and modulation, and I tune the brakes to the tires/conditions with just a few clicks of the pad adjustor knobs. Basically de-tune them for narrow tires and ramp up the power for the big meats.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  67. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    822
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    For more modulation, instead of setting the inner (fixed) pad as close to the rotor as possible, turn the knob out a click or two. Then adjust the outer pad for the lever contact point. Gives more progressive bite and the braking is easier to feather.
    OK, so this way, you are basically bending the rotor a bit. According to your experience, does that have a negative effect on pad wear?

    To anyone buying a DD: Better cut the big downtube decals to a seperate left / right side that clears the bottle cage and cable mounts.

    They are a one piece sticker, so I thought I'd try to apply it over the bottle cage mounts and cut them out later. Not possible without awful wrinkling...

    Thanks Planet-X US for offering a DD decal sheet by the way. No thanks for Px UK for not doing this, resulting in me paying $30 for postage for a $13 decal sheet.

  68. #68
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307
    Quote Originally Posted by JeroenK View Post
    OK, so this way, you are basically bending the rotor a bit. According to your experience, does that have a negative effect on pad wear?
    It only takes a click or two to have the affect. Change in pad ware is minor.

    Most of the time I keep the inner pad close and adjust the feel with the outer pad
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  69. #69
    Natural body armor
    Reputation: Zen_Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,166
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    It only takes a click or two to have the affect. Change in pad ware is minor.

    Most of the time I keep the inner pad close and adjust the feel with the outer pad
    Well, it depends... that one last ride in crazy muddy gritty conditions left a mark.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dirty Disco-535384_391137254243945_378457427_n.jpg  

    "There is no A-line"
    Savvy Bike

  70. #70
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,583
    My new ride! Got to ride it yesterday and it is amazing! Super stiff and racey! Opposite end of the spectrum from my gary fisher presidio! This bike just feels fast!

    Want some carbon wheels but there is nothing on the market that is semi deep, tubeless, a touch wider, and disk brake. Im considering some chineese carbon xc wheels until Mercury releases their tubeless carbon disk brake wheel next year.

    Here are some pics with loaner wheels-
    " width="549">
    " width="549">
    " width="549">
    " width="549">
    " width="549">
    " width="549">
    peter sagan
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,842
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Want some carbon wheels but there is nothing on the market that is semi deep, tubeless, a touch wider, and disk brake. Im considering some chineese carbon xc wheels until Mercury releases their tubeless carbon disk brake wheel next year.
    Is "semi" less than "50" - I guess it might but - however I'm very happy riding these in high winds on road, and our UK cross riders are loving them.

    Planet X Clydesdale Disc Pro Carbon 50/50 Wheelset / 24F 24R / Tubular / PX lines / Shimano/SRAM

  72. #72
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,583
    Quote Originally Posted by brant View Post
    Is "semi" less than "50" - I guess it might but - however I'm very happy riding these in high winds on road, and our UK cross riders are loving them.

    Planet X Clydesdale Disc Pro Carbon 50/50 Wheelset / 24F 24R / Tubular / PX lines / Shimano/SRAM
    Those look nice but they are tubular. I dont really want to train on a tubular. I like tubeless because I can throw a tube in if I puncture.

    Whats the rim width and wheel weight?
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  73. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tyliquila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16
    This is mine, built it myself and I'm lovin it!

    54 sized frame with Shimano 105 shifters and rearmech, cx70 crank and frontmech, Thomson post, clamp and stem, salsa cowbell.
    The wheels are XT hubs with some old mavic cxp33 rims, I had layin around. I'm thinking abouting replacing them with some of those Chinese plastic hoops.

    Had some flat black decals made for the bike because the original white ones were a little bit "loud" for me. Really like how they turned out






  74. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    5
    Sorry folks but another "what frame size to go with" question here. 5'11, 32.5inseam, longer torso & arms

    Currently own 58cm Surly Long Trucker with 90stem a smidge overstretched in the hoods but flexibility allows with no problems. 3.5in seatpost exposed

    Salsa Fargo size Lg running a 115stem & 7.5in seatpost exposed


    Just don't know what size to go with comparing geometries of current bike. Want some seat post exposure for bikepacking seatbag. Won't be using this for CX racing, but for gravel grinding, light touring bikpacking style, commuting etc. Any info would be great. Sweet rigs up here. Can't wait to throw a build together.......Thanks
    Last edited by surly73; 09-09-2012 at 09:00 AM.

  75. #75
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307
    Quote Originally Posted by surly73 View Post
    Sorry folks but another "what frame size to go with" question here. 5'11, 32.5inseam, longer torso & arms

    Currently own 58cm Surly Long Trucker with 90stem a smidge overstretched in the hoods but flexibility allows with no problems. 3.5in seatpost exposed

    Salsa Fargo size Lg running a 115stem & 7.5in seatpost exposed


    Just don't know what size to go with comparing geometries of current bike. Want some seat post exposure for bikepacking seatbag. Won't be using this for CX racing, but for gravel grinding, light touring bikpacking style, commuting etc. Any info would be great. Sweet rigs up here. Can't wait to throw a build together.......Thanks
    Doing a quick check of the geo charts, a 56cm (large) Dirty Disco would fit slightly smaller than your current bikes and a 58 (XL) would be a bit larger.

    Currently out of stock of both sizes.

    We have a shipment of 'cross frames arriving in ~ 3 weeks.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  76. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1
    Hey Tyliquila,

    Those black decals look great, who made them for you? I'd like some for the DD I'm building.

    Thanks!



    This is mine, built it myself and I'm lovin it!

    54 sized frame with Shimano 105 shifters and rearmech, cx70 crank and frontmech, Thomson post, clamp and stem, salsa cowbell.
    The wheels are XT hubs with some old mavic cxp33 rims, I had layin around. I'm thinking abouting replacing them with some of those Chinese plastic hoops.

    Had some flat black decals made for the bike because the original white ones were a little bit "loud" for me. Really like how they turned out

  77. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    22
    I see that they are out of stock in everything but Smalls. Any idea when big boy sizes will be back in stock?
    2009 Fuji Tahoe Pro 29er
    1982 Fuji Supreme
    200? Cannondale Prophet
    2011 Focus Mares AX3

  78. #78
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper46 View Post
    I see that they are out of stock in everything but Smalls. Any idea when big boy sizes will be back in stock?
    We should have more in a few weeks
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  79. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    340
    Any of you current Dirty Disco owners have a satisfactory fender set-up? I know it's possible to fudge together a fender setup on nearly any bike, but the DD seems not to have a drilled fork crown or seat stay bridge, which makes it difficult. Workarounds?

    I'm so close to ordering this frameset, but will need good fenders. It will be a 'cross race bike for 1.5 months and a rain/commuter for the next 9...

  80. #80
    Off the back...
    Reputation: pinkrobe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,070
    Anyone rolling the TRP Hywires yet, or are they still vaporware/unobtanium?
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

  81. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    168
    Nice bike, just wondering if you have toe overlap with this frame.

  82. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    73

    Dirty Disco

    I just finished building my Dirty Disco. I think it is an awesome disc cyclocross for the money. I wanted to find a frame that closely matched to my 54 sized Madone geometry. The 54 Dirty Disco fit the bill. The only big difference is 10 mm longer top tube and slight slacker steering angle. The Dirty Disco also has a longer wheelbase which is a big welcome.

    I'm impressed with the ride quality it has. It feels silky smooth over rough roads and gravel roads. It must be the combination of the carbon frame and the 34mm tires that I am running on the bike. I have no toe overlap on the Dirty Disco with 34 tires. I always did have toe overlap on other similar sized bikes.

    I have a few minor issues with the frame. I ride with my heels in. My right heel sometimes rubs the rear chain stay tube. I thought it must be the way the chain stay tube is shaped to clear the wider 135mm hub. What I found out that my crankset is not centered on the frame. The bottom bracket shell does not have any offset. I have checked all my other road and cyclocross bikes and all of them have a offset of approx 2.5 mm to the drive side. The crankset is 1/4 inch off center to the left. I am using two washer on the right pedal spindle to remedy the heel/chainstay rubbing. I am thinking of using bottom bracket spacer or crankset spindle washer to shift the crankset a bit to the drive side.

    My other issue is where the brake cable mount is placed on the chain stays. It takes up some clearance if I want to run fatter tires. It takes up about 1/8 inch. It is placed on the top. I think it should have been placed on the sides unless this would weaken chain stay structurally.

    With those minor issues, I am still having a blast on this bike. I am sure those are a non-issue to most.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dirty Disco-img_6997.jpg  

    Dirty Disco-img_7003.jpg  

    Dirty Disco-img_7005.jpg  


  83. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    We should have more in a few weeks
    Hey shiggy, 2 questions.

    Is the frame sale officially over? If so, how long is the wait until the next one?
    Any changes on the new frames coming in or just a new run of the current setup?

    Thanks.

  84. #84
    Manchester, England
    Reputation: Chocolatebike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    33
    Here's mine just after I got it:-


    Disco ! Yeah baby ! by Chocolatebike1, on Flickr


    On One Dirty Disco by Chocolatebike1, on Flickr

    And here it is during and after an overnight ride along Hadrian's Wall:-


    12-09-29 Carlisle-Newcastle Disco Baby by Chocolatebike1, on Flickr


    12-09-29 Carlisle-Newcastle Tyne bridges by Chocolatebike1, on Flickr

    It's my first carbon bike and I think it's fantastic. I bought the frame and fork as a stop-gap to use the running gear from my broken Ti bike. I'm getting a new Ti frame under warranty but I'm not sure that it will do anything better than the Disco.
    The guards are old style Race Blade XLs with the addition of extension pieces from my old Crud-Catcher Road Racers. The CC RR piece behind the down tube is fantastic.
    I'm doing a 200k Audax on the Disco on Saturday.
    Bring it on !

    My only gripe:_
    Frame, fork and headset from Planet X UK- 699.99GBP
    Frame and fork from Planet X USA- 549USD (~340GBP). That's an expensive headset.

    ETA a further picture. You can see the clearance with 24mm tyres:-


    12-09-29 Carlisle-Newcastle Disco Tyne by Chocolatebike1, on Flickr


    .
    Last edited by Chocolatebike; 10-02-2012 at 12:14 PM.

  85. #85
    jdg
    jdg is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    235

    Max tire size?

    Sorry if I missed it but what is the max tire size?

  86. #86
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,583
    Quote Originally Posted by jdg View Post
    Sorry if I missed it but what is the max tire size?
    I believe they say 38mm. But I dont know if that is with mud clearance or without. I can measure with my vernier calipers when im back at the shop.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  87. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    244
    I measure 50mm gap in the fork. I have 38mm tires on mine now, and plenty of space up front, but that's about all will fit between the chainstays.

  88. #88
    jdg
    jdg is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    235
    Thanks for the info all.

  89. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    31

    Dirty Disco headset

    I am looking to buy Dirty Disco frameset from Titus USA but they are out of Dirty Disco headset, so questions please:

    Will this be compatible? Wiggle | FSA Orbit C-40 ACB Black 1 1/8 Aheadset | Headsets
    or this Wiggle | FSA Orbit C-40 ACB (48mm) Black 1 1/8 Aheadset | Headsets
    or this Wiggle | FSA Orbit CF-40 Industrial Headset | Headsets

    I can buy one from On-One UK but will cost twice as much as any of the above 3 (will be last option)

    Many thanks.

  90. #90
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3
    Hi Chocolatebike.Just purchased a XL DD myself. I was very interested in your recent pictures especially of the Hadrian's Wall Cycle route - Newcastle end. Can I ask what seat bag were you using? Is it something from USA or is it a Carradice? It would fit well on my XL version. Adrian

  91. #91
    Manchester, England
    Reputation: Chocolatebike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    33
    It is a Carradice, an SQR Tour. This one:- SQR Tour saddle bag

    I'm very pleased with it, it holds enough for a few days B&B touring.
    I also bought an extra mount so I can move the bag between bikes.


    .

  92. #92
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3

    Dirty Disco

    Thanks for that info. I know of the bag but never seen one before, now that I have seen it in action will definetly get one. Intrigued also to know what tyres size do you use for road. Did you mention a 24 mm size are they Contis? I am using the tyres I have acquired over the years ie an old set of Marathon Racer 32mm but looking at poss Schwalbe Ultremo ZX or Durano plus to purchase. Adrian

  93. #93
    Manchester, England
    Reputation: Chocolatebike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    33
    The tyres are Vittoria Pave SGs, the green tread is just visible on the last photo.
    All of the running gear came off my Ti bike when the frame cracked; the Disco is really just a stand-in until I get a warranty replacement for the Ti frame.
    When that arrives, I might get a little more creative with the Disco's tyres; I'm a big fan of Marathon Supremes so I might put some 28mm versions of those on it. 28mm Ultremo ZXs are another alternative.
    That's unless I decide to put some actual cross type tyres on it !

    .

  94. #94
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by mttklmhifi1 View Post

    I have a few minor issues with the frame. I ride with my heels in. My right heel sometimes rubs the rear chain stay tube.
    My other issue is where the brake cable mount is placed on the chain stays. It takes up some clearance if I want to run fatter tires. It takes up about 1/8 inch. It is placed on the top. I think it should have been placed on the sides unless this would weaken chain stay structurally.

    With those minor issues, I am still having a blast on this bike. I am sure those are a non-issue to most.
    I used to ride with my heels in, which makes your knees stick out at the top of the stroke. Then I, after a fitting, realized I was compensating for having my feet locked into my pedals without varus shims, or "flatfooted." Now that my feet are shimmed with wedges under my cleats, my feet point straight ahead, and my legs are in line with pedals throughout the stroke.

    Varus wedges - Road Bike, Cycling Forums

    To compensate for the lack of wedges, I was pointing toes out to avoid stress on my knees.

    Re. the brake cable clip, they must be riveted by hand: mine doesn't do that.

  95. #95
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by mudrock View Post
    I used to ride with my heels in, which makes your knees stick out at the top of the stroke. Then I, after a fitting, realized I was compensating for having my feet locked into my pedals without varus shims, or "flatfooted." Now that my feet are shimmed with wedges under my cleats, my feet point straight ahead, and my legs are in line with pedals throughout the stroke.

    Varus wedges - Road Bike, Cycling Forums

    To compensate for the lack of wedges, I was pointing toes out to avoid stress on my knees.

    Re. the brake cable clip, they must be riveted by hand: mine doesn't do that.
    Iím the opposite. My knees used to bang the top tube and my right heel rubs the crankarm before being fitted with soles/shims. I have slightly higher than Medium arch. I use superfeet soles to support my arch and prevent arch collapse at the bottom stroke. I have been called a duck because my toes point out. I have tried two varus shims on right shoes and one varus shim on the left. They make my feet point out straight but place my knees too outward. I have been using one varus shim on the right shoe and flat shim on the left. My heels are slightly in but no rubbing or pain. Knees pedal in straight lines. This setup works perfect for all my other bikes until the Dirty Disco bike. I have moved the FSA bottom bracket crush washer from non-drive side to the drive side. This eliminated any heel/chainstay rubbing.

  96. #96
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    73
    I wonder if it is okay to drill out a drain hole in the bottom bracket. My Dirty Disco is getting filled with water after riding in the rain.

    I use my Dirty Disco for rain and gravel rides. I noticed the bike was getting heavier but didnít think anything of it until I hanged my bike by its front wheel. Water was pouring out of the seatpost. Should I somehow caulk the rail clamp mount where the water enters or just drill a drain hole in the bottom bracket?

  97. #97
    PRETENDURO
    Reputation: Leopold Porkstacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,371
    Quote Originally Posted by mttklmhifi1 View Post
    I wonder if it is okay to drill out a drain hole in the bottom bracket. My Dirty Disco is getting filled with water after riding in the rain.

    I use my Dirty Disco for rain and gravel rides. I noticed the bike was getting heavier but didnít think anything of it until I hanged my bike by its front wheel. Water was pouring out of the seatpost. Should I somehow caulk the rail clamp mount where the water enters or just drill a drain hole in the bottom bracket?
    Good thing itís not a steel frameÖ as for cutting/drilling cabron fibre, Iím not the guy to ask.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

  98. #98
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    17

    Planet Bike Speedez Hybrid fenders + Dirty Disco = happy rider

    Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelMan View Post
    Any of you current Dirty Disco owners have a satisfactory fender set-up? I know it's possible to fudge together a fender setup on nearly any bike, but the DD seems not to have a drilled fork crown or seat stay bridge, which makes it difficult. Workarounds?

    I'm so close to ordering this frameset, but will need good fenders. It will be a 'cross race bike for 1.5 months and a rain/commuter for the next 9...
    I use the Planet Bike Speedez Hybrid on my DD...I love the coverage and adjustability. I've used these fenders on my last three commuter bikes (two with disc brakes, one with mini-v.)

  99. #99
    Manchester, England
    Reputation: Chocolatebike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    33

  100. #100
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mountain Cycle Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,658
    Hey Shiggy,
    Can you get these frames? I don't know what size I need, I'm 5'9" with average proportions. It's going to be a road bike with bullhorn bars.
    Thanks,
    Shawn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Cleaning my dirty dirty shoes
    By SuccaMC in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-11-2009, 10:51 AM
  2. Replies: 41
    Last Post: 12-13-2006, 04:58 AM
  3. Dirty, Dirty, ExoGrid!!!
    By N8! in forum Titus
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-04-2006, 07:20 PM
  4. You dirty, dirty girl! (Wily content)
    By motoman711 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-13-2005, 01:56 PM
  5. Sloppy Dakota Ridge + Dirty Dirty White Ranch
    By ibmkidIII in forum Passion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-27-2004, 07:17 AM

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •