Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Dirty Disco

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hey Tyliquila,

Those black decals look great, who made them for you? I'd like some for the DD I'm building.

Thanks!

This is mine, built it myself and I'm lovin it!

54 sized frame with Shimano 105 shifters and rearmech, cx70 crank and frontmech, Thomson post, clamp and stem, salsa cowbell.
    The wheels are XT hubs with some old mavic cxp33 rims, I had layin around. I'm thinking abouting replacing them with some of those Chinese plastic hoops.

Had some flat black decals made for the bike because the original white ones were a little bit "loud" for me. Really like how they turned out

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I see that they are out of stock in everything but Smalls. Any idea when big boy sizes will be back in stock?
    2009 Fuji Tahoe Pro 29er
    1982 Fuji Supreme
    200? Cannondale Prophet
    2011 Focus Mares AX3

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper46 View Post
    I see that they are out of stock in everything but Smalls. Any idea when big boy sizes will be back in stock?
    We should have more in a few weeks
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Any of you current Dirty Disco owners have a satisfactory fender set-up? I know it's possible to fudge together a fender setup on nearly any bike, but the DD seems not to have a drilled fork crown or seat stay bridge, which makes it difficult. Workarounds?

I'm so close to ordering this frameset, but will need good fenders. It will be a 'cross race bike for 1.5 months and a rain/commuter for the next 9...

Off the back...
    Anyone rolling the TRP Hywires yet, or are they still vaporware/unobtanium?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Nice bike, just wondering if you have toe overlap with this frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Dirty Disco

I just finished building my Dirty Disco. I think it is an awesome disc cyclocross for the money. I wanted to find a frame that closely matched to my 54 sized Madone geometry. The 54 Dirty Disco fit the bill. The only big difference is 10 mm longer top tube and slight slacker steering angle. The Dirty Disco also has a longer wheelbase which is a big welcome.

I'm impressed with the ride quality it has. It feels silky smooth over rough roads and gravel roads. It must be the combination of the carbon frame and the 34mm tires that I am running on the bike. I have no toe overlap on the Dirty Disco with 34 tires. I always did have toe overlap on other similar sized bikes.

I have a few minor issues with the frame. I ride with my heels in. My right heel sometimes rubs the rear chain stay tube. I thought it must be the way the chain stay tube is shaped to clear the wider 135mm hub. What I found out that my crankset is not centered on the frame. The bottom bracket shell does not have any offset. I have checked all my other road and cyclocross bikes and all of them have a offset of approx 2.5 mm to the drive side. The crankset is 1/4 inch off center to the left. I am using two washer on the right pedal spindle to remedy the heel/chainstay rubbing. I am thinking of using bottom bracket spacer or crankset spindle washer to shift the crankset a bit to the drive side.

My other issue is where the brake cable mount is placed on the chain stays. It takes up some clearance if I want to run fatter tires. It takes up about 1/8 inch. It is placed on the top. I think it should have been placed on the sides unless this would weaken chain stay structurally.

With those minor issues, I am still having a blast on this bike. I am sure those are a non-issue to most.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dirty Disco-img_6997.jpg  

Dirty Disco-img_7003.jpg  

Dirty Disco-img_7005.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    We should have more in a few weeks
    Hey shiggy, 2 questions.

Is the frame sale officially over? If so, how long is the wait until the next one?
    Any changes on the new frames coming in or just a new run of the current setup?

Thanks.

Manchester, England
    Here's mine just after I got it:-

Disco ! Yeah baby ! by Chocolatebike1, on Flickr

On One Dirty Disco by Chocolatebike1, on Flickr

And here it is during and after an overnight ride along Hadrian's Wall:-

12-09-29 Carlisle-Newcastle Disco Baby by Chocolatebike1, on Flickr

12-09-29 Carlisle-Newcastle Tyne bridges by Chocolatebike1, on Flickr

It's my first carbon bike and I think it's fantastic. I bought the frame and fork as a stop-gap to use the running gear from my broken Ti bike. I'm getting a new Ti frame under warranty but I'm not sure that it will do anything better than the Disco.
    The guards are old style Race Blade XLs with the addition of extension pieces from my old Crud-Catcher Road Racers. The CC RR piece behind the down tube is fantastic.
    I'm doing a 200k Audax on the Disco on Saturday.
    Bring it on !

My only gripe:_
    Frame, fork and headset from Planet X UK- 699.99GBP
    Frame and fork from Planet X USA- 549USD (~340GBP). That's an expensive headset.

ETA a further picture. You can see the clearance with 24mm tyres:-

12-09-29 Carlisle-Newcastle Disco Tyne by Chocolatebike1, on Flickr

Last edited by Chocolatebike; 10-02-2012 at 12:14 PM.

jdg
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Max tire size?

Sorry if I missed it but what is the max tire size?

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by jdg View Post
    Sorry if I missed it but what is the max tire size?
    I believe they say 38mm. But I dont know if that is with mud clearance or without. I can measure with my vernier calipers when im back at the shop.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I measure 50mm gap in the fork. I have 38mm tires on mine now, and plenty of space up front, but that's about all will fit between the chainstays.

jdg
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks for the info all.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Dirty Disco headset

I am looking to buy Dirty Disco frameset from Titus USA but they are out of Dirty Disco headset, so questions please:

Will this be compatible? Wiggle | FSA Orbit C-40 ACB Black 1 1/8 Aheadset | Headsets
    or this Wiggle | FSA Orbit C-40 ACB (48mm) Black 1 1/8 Aheadset | Headsets
    or this Wiggle | FSA Orbit CF-40 Industrial Headset | Headsets

I can buy one from On-One UK but will cost twice as much as any of the above 3 (will be last option)

Many thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Hi Chocolatebike.Just purchased a XL DD myself. I was very interested in your recent pictures especially of the Hadrian's Wall Cycle route - Newcastle end. Can I ask what seat bag were you using? Is it something from USA or is it a Carradice? It would fit well on my XL version. Adrian

Manchester, England
    It is a Carradice, an SQR Tour. This one:- SQR Tour saddle bag

I'm very pleased with it, it holds enough for a few days B&B touring.
    I also bought an extra mount so I can move the bag between bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Dirty Disco

Thanks for that info. I know of the bag but never seen one before, now that I have seen it in action will definetly get one. Intrigued also to know what tyres size do you use for road. Did you mention a 24 mm size are they Contis? I am using the tyres I have acquired over the years ie an old set of Marathon Racer 32mm but looking at poss Schwalbe Ultremo ZX or Durano plus to purchase. Adrian

Manchester, England
    The tyres are Vittoria Pave SGs, the green tread is just visible on the last photo.
    All of the running gear came off my Ti bike when the frame cracked; the Disco is really just a stand-in until I get a warranty replacement for the Ti frame.
    When that arrives, I might get a little more creative with the Disco's tyres; I'm a big fan of Marathon Supremes so I might put some 28mm versions of those on it. 28mm Ultremo ZXs are another alternative.
    That's unless I decide to put some actual cross type tyres on it !

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mttklmhifi1 View Post

I have a few minor issues with the frame. I ride with my heels in. My right heel sometimes rubs the rear chain stay tube.
    My other issue is where the brake cable mount is placed on the chain stays. It takes up some clearance if I want to run fatter tires. It takes up about 1/8 inch. It is placed on the top. I think it should have been placed on the sides unless this would weaken chain stay structurally.

With those minor issues, I am still having a blast on this bike. I am sure those are a non-issue to most.
    I used to ride with my heels in, which makes your knees stick out at the top of the stroke. Then I, after a fitting, realized I was compensating for having my feet locked into my pedals without varus shims, or "flatfooted." Now that my feet are shimmed with wedges under my cleats, my feet point straight ahead, and my legs are in line with pedals throughout the stroke.

Varus wedges - Road Bike, Cycling Forums

To compensate for the lack of wedges, I was pointing toes out to avoid stress on my knees.

Re. the brake cable clip, they must be riveted by hand: mine doesn't do that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mudrock View Post
    I used to ride with my heels in, which makes your knees stick out at the top of the stroke. Then I, after a fitting, realized I was compensating for having my feet locked into my pedals without varus shims, or "flatfooted." Now that my feet are shimmed with wedges under my cleats, my feet point straight ahead, and my legs are in line with pedals throughout the stroke.

Varus wedges - Road Bike, Cycling Forums

To compensate for the lack of wedges, I was pointing toes out to avoid stress on my knees.

Re. the brake cable clip, they must be riveted by hand: mine doesn't do that.
    Iím the opposite. My knees used to bang the top tube and my right heel rubs the crankarm before being fitted with soles/shims. I have slightly higher than Medium arch. I use superfeet soles to support my arch and prevent arch collapse at the bottom stroke. I have been called a duck because my toes point out. I have tried two varus shims on right shoes and one varus shim on the left. They make my feet point out straight but place my knees too outward. I have been using one varus shim on the right shoe and flat shim on the left. My heels are slightly in but no rubbing or pain. Knees pedal in straight lines. This setup works perfect for all my other bikes until the Dirty Disco bike. I have moved the FSA bottom bracket crush washer from non-drive side to the drive side. This eliminated any heel/chainstay rubbing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I wonder if it is okay to drill out a drain hole in the bottom bracket. My Dirty Disco is getting filled with water after riding in the rain.

I use my Dirty Disco for rain and gravel rides. I noticed the bike was getting heavier but didnít think anything of it until I hanged my bike by its front wheel. Water was pouring out of the seatpost. Should I somehow caulk the rail clamp mount where the water enters or just drill a drain hole in the bottom bracket?

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by mttklmhifi1 View Post
    I wonder if it is okay to drill out a drain hole in the bottom bracket. My Dirty Disco is getting filled with water after riding in the rain.

I use my Dirty Disco for rain and gravel rides. I noticed the bike was getting heavier but didnít think anything of it until I hanged my bike by its front wheel. Water was pouring out of the seatpost. Should I somehow caulk the rail clamp mount where the water enters or just drill a drain hole in the bottom bracket?
    Good thing itís not a steel frameÖ as for cutting/drilling cabron fibre, Iím not the guy to ask.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Planet Bike Speedez Hybrid fenders + Dirty Disco = happy rider

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelMan View Post
    Any of you current Dirty Disco owners have a satisfactory fender set-up? I know it's possible to fudge together a fender setup on nearly any bike, but the DD seems not to have a drilled fork crown or seat stay bridge, which makes it difficult. Workarounds?

I'm so close to ordering this frameset, but will need good fenders. It will be a 'cross race bike for 1.5 months and a rain/commuter for the next 9...
    I use the Planet Bike Speedez Hybrid on my DD...I love the coverage and adjustability. I've used these fenders on my last three commuter bikes (two with disc brakes, one with mini-v.)

Manchester, England

mtbr member
    Hey Shiggy,
    Can you get these frames? I don't know what size I need, I'm 5'9" with average proportions. It's going to be a road bike with bullhorn bars.
    Thanks,
    Shawn
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast