Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Dirty Disco

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Took the plunge and splashed out!
    Bought the bike complete from On One here in England.
    Love the bike though for now it's not as a cross bike but as my road bike. Put 25mm Conti's on and the bike is as smooth as a smooth thing! I changed the stock saddle for a Selle Italia SLR XC and can thoroughly recommend this particular model, very comfy, even on a 5 1/2hr ride earlier this week.
    One more thing, ordered a XL frame but the 80mm stem was too short for me so this has been replaced by a PRO 110mm.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by farmerfrederico View Post
    I'm thinking about using this frame for something like the Dirty Kanza - 200 miles of gravel. What say the masses?
    Just got mine in a 54cm. Tubes are massive, with a 1.5 " bottom race on the headset and the downtube as big as they could make it. This will be a stiff ride, more so than a steel frame, which seems to be the frame of choice at the DK. I would use as big a tire as possible for endurance gravel rides. I read somewhere, I think even on an On One webpage, that 40mm rubber will fit.

oh crap...
    Quote Originally Posted by mudrock View Post
    Just got mine in a 54cm. Tubes are massive, with a 1.5 " bottom race on the headset and the downtube as big as they could make it. This will be a stiff ride, more so than a steel frame, which seems to be the frame of choice at the DK. I would use as big a tire as possible for endurance gravel rides. I read somewhere, I think even on an On One webpage, that 40mm rubber will fit.
    Thanks for the reply, Mudrock...while I was pretty interested at one point, I've decided to either stick with my Vaya, or use my 29er frame...both can accept pretty big rubber! Running Bontrager XR1 1.9's which are far too big for the DD. Enjoy your new ride though! I'm sure it will be a great bike for the riding you have in mind for it!
    Grow some food for yourself.

Natural body armor
    Cross post in Norcal Forum, my epic ride on the Disco, with pics:
    SC Super Enduro CX (my version)
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by craigsj View Post
    Here's mine with road tires and a commute bag. 17.75 pounds without the bags, cages, or pump. Rims are Crests. I use a different wheelset for knobbies. The brakes are road BB7's despite the black color.
    What did you use for a front derailleur? I got my frame today and noticed that the cable routing is for a top pull derailleur. There is no guide under the bottom bracket or hole to route the normal bottom pull cable. So it looks like I will need to buy a new front derailleur.

mtbr member

You need one of these

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dirty Disco-discoder.jpg  

Dirty Disco-discoder1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by qdusenberry View Post
    What did you use for a front derailleur? I got my frame today and noticed that the cable routing is for a top pull derailleur.
    At first I used a road FD with the supplied pulley but did not like it. I switched to a SRAM XX top pull and it works fine as a double, much better than the road solution. I have smaller rings than traditional compact.

Natural body armor
    Quote Originally Posted by craigsj View Post
    At first I used a road FD with the supplied pulley but did not like it. I switched to a SRAM XX top pull and it works fine as a double, much better than the road solution. I have smaller rings than traditional compact.
    Same here, went for a top pull SRAM X7 2x10 and works great.
    I initially used the pulley with a regular SRAM Rival and had nothing but troubles.
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by qdusenberry View Post
    What did you use for a front derailleur? I got my frame today and noticed that the cable routing is for a top pull derailleur. There is no guide under the bottom bracket or hole to route the normal bottom pull cable. So it looks like I will need to buy a new front derailleur.
    qd, let me know if you did not get the FD roller and we will send you one.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Orthodox Veloist

my DD

I got mine about a week and a half ago. I really love it. I moved over from a Kona Jake the Snake. I rode it last weekend in the RondePDX, a 50 mile ride all the hard west hills of Portland. The DD was great, I tossed some 700x35 slicks on it and felt awesome. We used my 29er MTB wheelset for now which is fine as I know I can beat the piss out of them and they keep going.

My Dirty and Me.

some close up shots:

These are my old Conti Speed kings in 35mm size, the bottom bracket picture didn't turn out so I will take another later.

My absolute favorite sticker (I'd love this as a Tshirt):
    "Rigorously tested by angry laboratory robots"

Road BB7s make me smile

Here is my current setup (after riding RondePDX):

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hey,

I'm thinking about taking the plunge on a Dirty Disco for a bad weather / light touring / CX bike, but I'm a little puzzled at the split frame design. I emailed On-One's technical department and they said they didn't know why the frame had been designed this way. If it was designed with the spilt to take a belt drive (using an eccentric bottom bracket as it does not have horizontal dropouts), then why is the non drive-side seat stay split as well?

Has anyone seen a frame design like this before / have any idea of the reasoning behind it?

Ed

mtbr member
    The DD wouldn't be the best for touring, no rack eyelets etc. And the geo is a bit more on the racy side. As for the split seat stays, they are actually bonded together I think and don't split. I think Brant said it was done like this as part of some manufacturing process/design. I'm sure he could chime in.

I've looked closely at mine and they definately don't come undone in anyway.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for the info would be nice to know a little bit more about that, as I say I've never seen anything like it. In terms of touring I was thinking more along the lines of ultralight, fast bike-packing using frame bags rather than a rack and panniers. A round the world bike race set off from London in February and the race leader is riding one of these I thought it looked like an interesting set-up.

I'm not able to post links yet, but a picture of his bike can be found with a quick Google image search for "world cycle racing grand tour."

mtbr member
    is it this one?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dirty Disco-disco.jpg  

mtbr member
    Looks good. The new frames bags these days are pretty cool.

It's a tough little frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yes, that was the one I was looking at. He seems to be achieving pretty epic miles on it *often around 200 a day over rough terrain in places like India and Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by elpickup View Post
    Hey,

I'm thinking about taking the plunge on a Dirty Disco for a bad weather / light touring / CX bike, but I'm a little puzzled at the split frame design. I emailed On-One's technical department and they said they didn't know why the frame had been designed this way. If it was designed with the spilt to take a belt drive (using an eccentric bottom bracket as it does not have horizontal dropouts), then why is the non drive-side seat stay split as well?

Has anyone seen a frame design like this before / have any idea of the reasoning behind it?

Ed
    The stays use the same mold for all frame sizes to keep costs down. The joint allows the seat stay angle to be changed for the different sizes.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for the info Shiggy, that makes sense. Do you know how the two parts of the frame are fixed together? Is there any movement in that joint?

Quote Originally Posted by elpickup View Post
    Thanks for the info Shiggy, that makes sense. Do you know how the two parts of the frame are fixed together? Is there any movement in that joint?
    The joint is fixed. Screwed and bonded.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    zen turtle what crankset are you running with that X7 derailleur?

Natural body armor
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bills View Post
    zen turtle what crankset are you running with that X7 derailleur?
    It's a SRAM Apex compact with 34/46T rings. As long as the X7 is 2x10 it will be compatible with any SRAM 2x10 crank
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I am hoping it will work with an apex 50/34 but not sure if if will cover 16t spread. Probably give it a try. thanks.

Natural body armor
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bills View Post
    I am hoping it will work with an apex 50/34 but not sure if if will cover 16t spread. Probably give it a try. thanks.
    I think it will, I haven't tried with the 50T yet...
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    So what is the stand over height on a 54 or 56?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    So what is the stand over height on a 54 or 56?
    On my 54, with Kenda 38c all purpose tires (really no wider than 35s) the standover is 31.5", or 80cm, midway down the toptube.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast