mtbr member
    Jul 2009

New question here. Cross bike frame ?

I want to build up a cross bike for general local riding and commuting but cant work out which on one frame would be best. The things I do know that I want though are disk brakes, 1x9 gearing and drop bars. What would you guys suggest ? Oh and it also needs to be cheap as im trying to build this on a small budget.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    One thing I've found is that cheap and drop bars don't go together.
    Brifters are expensive and don't work with the usual disk brakes.
    Bar end shifters seem to be available on Ebay for reasonable prices but still not cheap.

I built up a Planet X Kaffenback with Midge bars using a 8 speed donor bike and spare parts. Ended up selling the donor bike for more than I paid for it.
    The Kaffenback is great, much more comfortable than the aluminum bike it replaced.

I've got a OnOne Inbred on it's way to be built up as a play bike. It will have Midge bars and be built up with 7 speed parts - bar end shifters, derailleurs and cantilevers from a donor bike with a bent frame. I'll share the Kaffenback's front wheel to cut costs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Ok well if I drop disk brakes would that make it easier and cheaper ? , would the inbred or the pompino be the better frame for what i want then (Drop bars, 1x9 gearing, 700c wheels.)

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Pompino is a single speed.
    It's the drop bars that complicate things. Cheapest build is with a donor bike off Craigslist. 7 and 8 speed road, touring and urban bikes can be found cheap if you spend some time looking around.
    If you go with bar end shifters, you can get brake levers that will work with MTB mechanical disk brakes. BB7's are cheap on Ebay.
    If you go with brifters, you need to either buy the road bike BB7s or go cantilever.
    You could do your initial build with an alt bar instead like the Hail Mary and update to drop bars at a later time.
    The Kaffenback is quite cheap and the fork is a bargain - you can go cantilever or disk. Or even change later.
    On the Inbred, there is only one model that supports cantilever.
    Choosing between the two, I would assume would be driven by the tire size you want to run and your intended usage.

Shiggy is the drop bar expert, I'm sure he will chime in.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by maloo View Post
    Ok well if I drop disk brakes would that make it easier and cheaper ? , would the inbred or the pompino be the better frame for what i want then (Drop bars, 1x9 gearing, 700c wheels.)
    I think the Kaffenback frame and fork would be the best choice. Can use disc or canti/V brakes.

Use the Midge bar (~$20) and Dia-Compe 287V brake levers (long pull for V brakes or mtb cable discs, also ~$20). Use a Shimano barend shifter (and RD), which would be your major expense for the drivetrain.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common