mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Convert my 26er Ti 456 to a 96er...thoughts!?!?

I am seriously considering converting my Ti 456 into a 96er (26" rear wheel, 29" front). I am running a 26" 140mm travel fork now, if I replace it with a 29" 100mm travel fork the crown to axle length is about the same (unsagged), so I'm assume it will ride about the same, with the added benefit of the larger diameter tire up front. My only worry I have is tire clearance to the down tube of the frame!?!? Anyone thought about this, or ever tried it, any insight would be great.

Here's a pic of the Carver 96er and a blip about the reasoning behind it...

[IMG][/IMG]

The Carver Bikes 96'er is built around a 29" front wheel, a 26" rear wheel and an eccentric bottom bracket. The first production bike of its kind to offer the rolling benefits of a 29" front wheel with the strength, geometry, handling and acceleration of a 26" rear wheel.

I must admit, this bike looks a little strange, but I like strange

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    A 456 would make a great 69er IMO... you could steepen it up for cross country, or keep it slack. I don't have a link at the moment, but there is a good article (a few years ago) in dirt rag that helps explain the geometry changes. Google should bring it up.

I made a 69er based on that article, it rides great (mine is rigid though). I'd bet that you will like it. I can't answer for sure your question re: down tube clearance, but its generally not a problem...

Good luck, keep us updated!

Sent using Tapatalk

All That is Man
    I thought about the exact same thing using a Carbon 456 frame. The big thing for me is that you get the 26er geometry out of it which would be nice. I have to wonder if toe clearance would be an issue. If you don't have a 29er laying around, it's an expensive experiment. Keep us updated.
    John

Titus/On-One/Planet X
    We did this once and it didn't work well

A 100mm 29er fork is 506mm
    A 150mm 26in fork is 528mm, so you are ahead there I guess.

Difference in wheel radius is circa 35mm

But then you have difference in ride height - if you assume that you set the forks up to sag 25-30% of travel.

Even at 80mm, as I recall, the 29in fork chopped the 456 out a lot.

And that choppering out, really needs the head angle steepening.

It's a lot of messing about and it'd be "odd" at best.
    --
    brant
    http://www.shedfire.com
    Designing for Titus USA, On-One and Planet X.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Oh, yes agreed, if a suspension fork it gets complicated.

Sorry all, I was thinking/referring to setting up with a rigid fork.

Sent using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for the input guys!! This has not gotten past the research stage, and all of the comments are appreciated. I would agree anything more than an 80mm suspension fork could through this thing for a loop. I would assume you'd be at the head-tube angle limit even with that. A rigid fork would give you the most options by far, but not my preference for the 456. I'll have to take all this info into consideration before I'd make that move!!!

As a less expensive experiment I swapped out my 100mm (26") suspension fork on my Lynskey Ridgeline with a short version Origin 8 Black Ops rigid (29") carbon fork and a borrowed 29er wheel. The short throat on the Black Ops fork left my geometry almost spot on the factory specs. I love the looks of the bike and I love the feel of the 29" front end. Still getting used to a fully rigid ride though. Overall I am thrilled with the setup so much so I'm building a 29er wheel to match the rear 26" wheel. I plan to leave it this way for now, although I'll keep 26" front end setup just in case :-)

If you want to play with the 69er option I would suggest an On-One Inbred (26") frame with the Origin 8 Black Ops fork. Keep in mind that fork is offered in a standard (465mm) and short (430mm) version (not sure it's still available, I bought mine used).

Here's a pic of the Lynskey...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Looks awesome Im actually in the middle of 69ing a Redline Monocog 26".

When you say you bought the short model, do you mean the one that is listed as a 26" with a 400mm AtC? I only see 2 lengths listed as 465mm (29/26) and the 400mm (listed only as a 26" doesnt say anything about 29ers)

The 400mm AtC Origin8 fork caught my eye, because even tho its a very short AtC the actual shape and design of the crown looks like it gives a lot of clearance. This short AtC + 29ers bigger diameter should fit perfectly.

I just want to make sure the short model will def fit a 29er tire, Im actually hoping it would fit a 29x2.35 tire?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Although the site doesn't list it, it is a 29er fork...it is actually measures 430mm AtoC.

Origin 8 Black Ops 29"er Carbon Fork: First Impressions

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    that review is from 2008 unfortunatly and currently origin8 only lists the 2 size i had mentioned before

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Only way to know for sure is to try it out...

That said, I converted a bike to 69er with a surly 1x1 fork (413mm a-c) and a 2.2 seguaro fit comfortably, but I don't think I would put anything bigger in it. Point being, I don't *think* a 400mm a-c would fit the tire you want.

Sent using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dethklok View Post
    that review is from 2008 unfortunatly and currently origin8 only lists the 2 size i had mentioned before
    Yeah, I picked my fork up used on Ebay, and I think I got pretty lucky finding it. Seems like I found another company making one with similar AtoC dimensions but I can't remember who!?!? If I figure it out I'll let you know...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    yep just asked about the new 400mm one, a 29er simply wont clear so if u can find a used 420mm on then it would be ideal.

The surly might work out well, do u have a pic of ur 2.2 in it?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dethklok View Post
    yep just asked about the new 400mm one, a 29er simply wont clear so if u can find a used 420mm on then it would be ideal.

The surly might work out well, do u have a pic of ur 2.2 in it?

Here's a pic I just took with a 2.1 tire in it. The side clearance is to the side wall, and the top clearance is to the top of the knobs...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'll try to get one up today, but am headed out to go skiing so might be early next week...

(The bike is not together anymore, but I can dig out the fork and drop the wheel in...)

Sent using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Here ya go, Saguaro 2.2 in a Surly 1x1. Works well, but i wouldn't go any bigger.

(Sorry for the crappy phone pics)

Sent using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    awesome guys thanks for pics!

I can see the 400mm black ops forks would def not clear a 2.1, but it just maybe maybe MAYBE clear a 2.0 (sounds rediculous but Ive had bikes before that .1" made a difference) So no good a 69er conversion but perfect for my cross/commuter

The salsa looks decent tho Im just gonna stick my cromo origin8 for now it hasent slackened out the HTA too much I'll post pics when I get a chance

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    have you thought about 650b front and back?

my 456c hasnt been completed yet, as im waiting for payday to get my fork, but you could likely keep your fork and have the added benefit of rolling over stuff easier... Ill post up once I get mine build to report...