mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Coming to an Inbred 29er from a Niner Sir 9

My Sir 9 frame cracked and is not warranteed so I'm looking for a new frame. The Inbred has always been an interest and it is cheap enough I can afford it at the moment. Can anyone compare the rides of the two? Also I ride a L (19) in the Sir 9 though I might could go for a M. I rode a M in a Vassago Jabberwocky (18). 5' 11" and 32" inseam. Which size would fit most closely to my Sir 9? Thanks. And I did search and read everything I found about the two.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Haven't rode the Niner so can't compare them. The angles are very similar as is the chainstay and wheelbase lengths so I would expect them to be comparable in ride. The Inbred was re-designed to meet CEN specs so may be slightly stiffer - then again the Niner has the tapered head tube so probably comparable.
    Taking a quick look at the Niner, the rear wheel and the fork won't fit. Seatpost, derailleur and seat clamp are the same size.

As for size, you are going to have to go over the specs. Inbred has a shorter top tube but higher standover. Niner has a higher stack height as well. I'm 6'1" and ride a 19.5.
    If you are happy with the top tube length on the Niner, I would say you need the large - it has a slightly shorter top tube but similar reach.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    For clarity's sake, I have the older Niner frame so fork and wheels transfer just fine. And the seatpost size is part of the decision too since I just got an RDO carbon post. I wanted it to transfeer to aother frame if possible. Id really like aother Sir 9, but the budget is prohibitive at the moment and i dont want to wait to ride.

I've gone over the specs and they seemed pretty close. I usually go by ETT length, and I think the 19.5 sounds right, but I see a lot of guys my height and taller riding the 18.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have both a medium niner and an 18 inch inbred, i am 5.11 inseam 32, the inbred fits better and to be honest, smoother ride on the inbred

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fonzie123 View Post
    I have both a medium niner and an 18 inch inbred, i am 5.11 inseam 32, the inbred fits better and to be honest, smoother ride on the inbred
    You don't feel cramped on a medium Niner? How does the standover compare between the inbred and niner? I've been going over all of the geometry specs and they L matches up well with the 19.5 except for the standover. The head tube is only 5mm different. Everything else seems to be really close. Anyway you could get a side by side pic of the two together? I am leaning toward the 19.5 at the moment.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I do not have had a SIR but an Air9, and the L size is very very close to 19,5" Inbred. For me (1.84m height) the L size is not right for me, so I have choosed the 18" for my new 29er frame. The Inbred 29er is more nervous, have the same stability than the Air9, and my ride position on the bike is so much better. It is clearly more lighter the Air9, but I like the general feel of the Inbred. I am in a doubt if the 1.100 (in Europe) of the SIR9 frame are justified in front of the 200 of the Inbred.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    dont feel cramped not on the niner not on the inbred, like niner says if you fall in between sizes if you want a more stable bike move to the bigger size if you want a more manouverable bike go smaller, lots of the fit has also to do with the stem length what kind of handle bar saddle and seatpost, and whats your riding style, in general i like a little more manouverable bikes which brings me to the medium size frames,the niner i use for racing, it is light, light wheels, 2x 10 setup rotor 33/23 front, back 11 36,flat niner bar, stem 80 mm, rigid niner carbon fork, my inbred is different, has front suspension manitou, fleegle handlebar,80 mm stem, crossmax wheels, gearing is 1x9 front 34 rotor ring 11/34 back, so sort of hard to compare, the inbred feels a bit more relaxed, cannot provide the picture, looking at the specs of both ik don`t think you will go wrong with a large size inbred, i would sure go for a 60 mm stem on the large size inbred, i am even considering put a 60 mm stem on my medium inbred.