mtbr member

Carbon frame and dropped chains

I purchased a lurcher and I am slowly building it up. Yesterday I installed my crankset and was curious if anyone is doing anything to protect their chain stays/BB area in the event the chain drops? I have a SLX shadow plus rear der on its way but I am sure that won't prevent dropped chains 100% of the time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Take a look at My new Whippet , about half way down.

mtbr member
    Instead of bar tape I found some clear bra, hopefully it's thick enough.

All That is Man
    I did the zip-tie thing Slash5-style on my 456c. Cheap and effective.
    John

mtbr member
    I spent the money and purchased that material called Shelter. We shall see how it holds up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    An aftermarket metal plate would be great to have from On-One, zip-ties cannot protect the frame entirely, I already have a scratch despite the zip-tie + bar tape "protection"...
    I would expect something like this:
    ___
    2012 On-One Inbred 29er (custom ht w/2x10, trail, fun & race bike)
    2013 On-One Lurcher Carbon SS (in progress)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by semmiho View Post
    An aftermarket metal plate would be great to have from On-One, zip-ties cannot protect the frame entirely, I already have a scratch despite the zip-tie + bar tape "protection"...
    I would expect something like this:
    I would expect something like this on a more expensive frame, but $400 for my frame I can't really complain. Besides if On One did something like the pic above I am sure I couldn't afford a carbon frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcatnau View Post
    I would expect something like this on a more expensive frame, but $400 for my frame I can't really complain. Besides if On One did something like the pic above I am sure I couldn't afford a carbon frame.
    Basically, I agree with you, but my opinion is still that, any aftermarket metal plate from On-One would be really great. I would definitely buy one... Whippet is a great frame, I don't want to collect more scratches around the chainrings.
    ___
    2012 On-One Inbred 29er (custom ht w/2x10, trail, fun & race bike)
    2013 On-One Lurcher Carbon SS (in progress)

All That is Man
    Those plates are way too pretty for a mountain bike.
    John

help with the zip please
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero Signal View Post
    Those plates are way too pretty for a mountain bike.
    Those ones are but these ones aren't.
    Just spent a couple of hours in the garage making up some bb protection plates for 456c that I am slowly building up.
    Plates are made from zinc flashing, very malleable but thick enough that they should protect the frame from both dropped chains and chain suck. They are held on by neutral cure silicone.
    Name:  DSC02009.JPE
Views: 646
Size:  14.6 KB
    Name:  DSC02011.JPE
Views: 610
Size:  14.8 KB
    Name:  DSC02013.JPE
Views: 557
Size:  15.5 KB

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26 View Post
    Those ones are but these ones aren't.
    Just spent a couple of hours in the garage making up some bb protection plates for 456c that I am slowly building up.
    Plates are made from zinc flashing, very malleable but thick enough that they should protect the frame from both dropped chains and chain suck. They are held on by neutral cure silicone.
    That looks really good and really is whats needed for a carbon frame. Most of those tiny metal plates that manufacturers put on carbon frames are too small to really protect much.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcatnau View Post
    I purchased a lurcher and I am slowly building it up. Yesterday I installed my crankset and was curious if anyone is doing anything to protect their chain stays/BB area in the event the chain drops? I have a SLX shadow plus rear der on its way but I am sure that won't prevent dropped chains 100% of the time.
    I want to order the SS Lurcher, how is the build going? How are the tollerances on the frame? I already bought a used Carbon raceface SS crankset off ebay, do i need a special BB? What fork are you using?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdog100 View Post
    I want to order the SS Lurcher, how is the build going? How are the tollerances on the frame? I already bought a used Carbon raceface SS crankset off ebay, do i need a special BB? What fork are you using?
    Build is good. It's heavier than I was expecting, but it's all good. You'll need a press fit BB92. I'm running a manitou tower pro, it's a great fork. Check the On One Lurcher thread my build is there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdog100 View Post
    Build is good. It's heavier than I was expecting, but it's all good. You'll need a press fit BB92. I'm running a manitou tower pro, it's a great fork. Check the On One Lurcher thread my build is there.

mtbr member
    Shimano SM-BB91-41A will slide right in with bare hands.
    Use a little grease, one spacer at the drive-side.
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.