mtbr member

Buy Inbred frame from UK or USA?

Interested in buying an Inbred frame and some other accessories. Is it better to buy from the UK store or Buy USA. I live in California and don't quite understand how much the VAT tax will be. The UK store has more inventory and other items I would be interested in purchasing.

Big Paws on a Puppy!!
    Subscribed.
    ‎"My bicycle masters boardwalk and quagmire with aplomb." - Tom Nuttall

Attack Position
    I bought mine from the On One UK and it was quick, painless and at the time, cheaper than ordering from the On One US site. I paid only for shipping, no additional fees.

mtbr member
    How long ago did you buy from On One UK?

Attack Position
    Late May, early June.

mtbr member
    Just ordered a black inbred from US store - they receive from UK and then ship to me. I only pay for US shipping. I bought one directly from UK about a year and a half ago and it cost quite a bit more because of overseas shipping.

mtbr member
    So, has anyone been charged VAT or foreign transaction fee on their credit card?

Big Paws on a Puppy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bycyclist View Post
    Just ordered a black inbred from US store - they receive from UK and then ship to me. I only pay for US shipping. I bought one directly from UK about a year and a half ago and it cost quite a bit more because of overseas shipping.
    You ordered the black inbred 26er for $209? If so how did you manage that? When I try to select a size /color the fields are blank so I never get to actually place the order and I've been trying for weeks. I've even tried using IE 9, Chrome, and Firefox just to make sure its not a browser issue.

I sent an e-mail asking about it via the contact us link on the US site and I never got a response.
    ‎"My bicycle masters boardwalk and quagmire with aplomb." - Tom Nuttall

mtbr member
    For me it looks like it would be $50 cheaper to order a frame from the UK. The frame is $209 plus $69 shipping from US an $189 and $36 shipping from UK?? I'm confused!!
    1993 Barracuda A2R - 1x7 Beater
    2007 Redline Monocog 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I would imagine you might run the risk of having to pay a customs duty on it...that would eat into your savings pretty quickly.

mtbr member
    According to the rep at the US distributor, the buyer will be charged 6% import duty by the shipping company. For me this makes it a wash, and I will be purchasing from the US distributor. At least I won't be putting the money in uncle sam's pocket directly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
    You ordered the black inbred 26er for $209? If so how did you manage that? When I try to select a size /color the fields are blank so I never get to actually place the order and I've been trying for weeks.
    Yes - they don't typically have the 18" black in stock. I called and placed order via phone. They get direct shipments from UK and I will just pay shipping from the US office. Takes about 10 days or so before they will ship. I really wanted that black one, so no prob to wait a few weeks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    All my Inbreds have come from the UK since I'm in Canada. Much cheaper than the US and as you say, they have better inventory.
    Plus they have some interesting stuff show up on clearance - just got a teal Inbred that had been previously been built up and had a scratch for cheap.
    I'd say I'm running about 50/50 for getting nailed for taxes. No duty on bike parts coming into Canada.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by carpio77b View Post
    According to the rep at the US distributor, the buyer will be charged 6% import duty by the shipping company. For me this makes it a wash, and I will be purchasing from the US distributor. At least I won't be putting the money in uncle sam's pocket directly.
    That would still make it $30 cheaper to get from UK store. I don't understand the $69 shipping fee, that is REAL STEEP!
    1993 Barracuda A2R - 1x7 Beater
    2007 Redline Monocog 29er

mtbr member
    Well, after I placed the order (within 1 hour), the salesman from the US store called me and told me that they were crediting me $30 if I agreed to ship via Fed Ex rather than USPS. Also, he said the frame will be arriving by Thursday. Great customer service.

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Quote Originally Posted by kvojr View Post
    That would still make it $30 cheaper to get from UK store. I don't understand the $69 shipping fee, that is REAL STEEP!
    $69 isn't too bad actually...depending on where you live and where you are shipping to, I bet you would pay close to that w/ UPS. The $69 covers anywhere in the US. Shipping a frame from OR to say CA might not be $69, but they might lose money shipping to FL for example.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    QUOTE=kkjellquist;9748969]$69 isn't too bad actually...depending on where you live and where you are shipping to, I bet you would pay close to that w/ UPS. The $69 covers anywhere in the US. Shipping a frame from OR to say CA might not be $69, but they might lose money shipping to FL for example.[/QUOTE]

I don't think the $69 is a flat fee, it must vary based on where you live. It's showing as $73.3 for me, USPS being the only option. However, if I select a differnt frame (say a Scandal) there are more shipping options, $33.17 via Fed.Ex.

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    FFS you're right...I just plugged in my NC address and it spit back $86!!

Quote Originally Posted by haager View Post
    QUOTE=kkjellquist;9748969]$69 isn't too bad actually...depending on where you live and where you are shipping to, I bet you would pay close to that w/ UPS. The $69 covers anywhere in the US. Shipping a frame from OR to say CA might not be $69, but they might lose money shipping to FL for example.
    I don't think the $69 is a flat fee, it must vary based on where you live. It's showing as $73.3 for me, USPS being the only option. However, if I select a differnt frame (say a Scandal) there are more shipping options, $33.17 via Fed.Ex.[/QUOTE]
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member
    I'm another canadian who ordered from the UK store - it was cheaper, but I also wanted some of the other stuff they had, and $13 for a headset install was too good to pass up.

I got it in just over a week

One annoying thing - on the customs declaration form the package had been labelled as "Auto Parts" so I got dinged with $20 duty. Bike Parts entering Canada are exempt from duty, so if it had been labelled correctly then there would have been no costs. I'm going to be sending an email about that.