mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Best On One for SS 26'er?

Hey folks,

Im looking to build up a new rigid SS 26'er. On One is one of the few companies around still offering SS options on 26" wheeled frames. I'm wondering what yall's thoughts are on the different frames for my build. Seems like my only options are the Inbred and the 456. I run a suspension corrected 80mm steel fork(Salsa Chromoto) and the fine folks at On One said that fork would work wither either. Also, Im about 5'10" but ride Large sized frames so I dont know whether to go 18" or 20". Also torn between steel and crabon. Do On One's run small or large? Thanks for the help yall.

Big Paws on a Puppy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    Hey folks,

Im looking to build up a new rigid SS 26'er. On One is one of the few companies around still offering SS options on 26" wheeled frames. I'm wondering what yall's thoughts are on the different frames for my build. Seems like my only options are the Inbred and the 456. I run a suspension corrected 80mm steel fork(Salsa Chromoto) and the fine folks at On One said that fork would work wither either. Also, Im about 5'10" but ride Large sized frames so I dont know whether to go 18" or 20". Also torn between steel and crabon. Do On One's run small or large? Thanks for the help yall.
    I can only really comment on the On One steel frames because I have no experience with their carbon offerings but I don't think you can go wrong with either the carbon or steel frame.

I've own three 26'er inbred frames total. I had a slot dropout that I sold to finance a 26'er inbred vertical dropout that I setup as a 1x9. I missed the slot dropout so much that I snagged another slot dropout frame off ebay about a month ago. It's waiting to be powdercoated some gaudy color and paired up with a Chromoto fork.

IMHO there isn't any other company producing frames as nice as On One especially at their current price points. I'm 6'2" and I ride a 20" frame and use a 80mm stem. I think the UK site has info stating that the 18" frame seems to fit more riders or at least the 18" size is their best seller. I'm sure others will chime in on the carbon bikes. Also, I could be mistaken but I don't think On One makes steel 456 frame that can be setup as SS without using some type of tension device.
    ‎"My bicycle masters boardwalk and quagmire with aplomb." - Tom Nuttall

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶[$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)$]
    I would recommend the 18" frame. I'm 6" and have owned both an One One Inbred and still own a 456 Carbon frame. In both cases I went with the 18" frames and ran relatively short stems on both (70-80mm). For reference, I have a 32" pants inseam and usually ride "Large" frames from most other manufacturers (Intense, Santa Cruz, Specialized...)

The On One frames have decently long top tubes that allowed me to size down on their frames and still have a good fit as well as more stand-over clearance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Well, I'm a newby to On One, but I'll pitch in my 2 cents. Had my 26" Inbred for a little over a month now. So far, so good. I love it. I'm running 1x8, but it would totally be great SS. When the cassette wears out, I might just go that way. I'm 6'1", but long in the torso with stubby legs. I'm on a 20 and fit great with a longish stem. Standover is generous. I'd bet my PBH is probably about the same as yours, so I'm guessing you'd be fine on a 20 for standover, if that's a concern.

I second Ratman's assessment of On One frames. Great quality. Unbelievable price. The exception that proves the rule that if it's too good to be true, it probably is. The only thing else remotely in the same league as the Inbred is the Surly 1x1/Troll and those cost twice as much.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey folks,

You can also get the Whippet. A carbon inbred basically, with swapout dropouts so you can get horizontal ones.

undercover brother
    Hey folks,

If you're going to go rigid, I would rule out the 456. The 456 is meant to be used with a suspension fork with 4,5,or 6" of travel (hence the name) and a rigid fork that size is going to have the geometry out of whack. The inbred would be a wise choice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tangaroo View Post
    If you're going to go rigid, I would rule out the 456. The 456 is meant to be used with a suspension fork with 4,5,or 6" of travel (hence the name) and a rigid fork that size is going to have the geometry out of whack. The inbred would be a wise choice.

Or... Go with On One's rigid steel fork and stuff a 29er up front on a 456. That is what I did and it is great. Get's lots of weird looks, but it rides like a dream.