Proudly: A Mexican Rider

Anyone around 5'7"? 456

Hello,

I am looking on purchasing a 456 frame.

I am 5'7''; on the edge of small 14'' and medium 16''- more on the medium size.

Is there anyone around my height who has had experience with a small or medium frame?
    Which would you recommend?

I'm asking because many folks say that due to the long top tube, the 16'' feels like an 18''.

Thanks,
    Josué
    Last edited by Josue; 01-31-2013 at 01:04 PM.

Anybody..........????

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Wouldn't a long top tube make the bike feel larger? Small should feel like a medium?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    5'7" - I ride a 16 inch with a 75mm stem and 28" handlebars. Works great. I wouldnt go longer on the stem as the bike was designed around shorter stems (I beleive).

Quote Originally Posted by ruri View Post
    Wouldn't a long top tube make the bike feel larger? Small should feel like a medium?
    Yes, sorry, I mistook the number.

Quote Originally Posted by micky View Post
    5'7" - I ride a 16 inch with a 75mm stem and 28" handlebars. Works great. I wouldnt go longer on the stem as the bike was designed around shorter stems (I beleive).
    OK, thank you very much!!

So there are no problems in handling?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I'm on the borderline of 5'9". I own a 18" but wish to god I would have bought a 16" or even a 14". The top tube is really, really far too long and there isn't much difference in the top tube length between the 16" and 18".

I also wish I would have installed a reverse slackset (-1.5degrees) in it, because with a 140mm+ fork, the bike is SLACK as all get out.

I ride a 70mm stem and 745mm bars.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBaker View Post
    I'm on the borderline of 5'9". I own a 18" but wish to god I would have bought a 16" or even a 14". The top tube is really, really far too long and there isn't much difference in the top tube length between the 16" and 18".

I also wish I would have installed a reverse slackset (-1.5degrees) in it, because with a 140mm+ fork, the bike is SLACK as all get out.

So, would you recomend me a 14 rather than a 16?

About the HTA, if you are one of those who has to climb the mountain to go donwhill like me, does it become a pain to ride. Or is it something you can cope with to enjoy the descent?

Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

This is an all mountain hardtail, not a crosscountry hardtail; hence the slack head angle.

The recommend stem length on On One's website is 40mm-60mm. And your at the shortest height recommended for a 18" frame. So you should be on a 40mm stem, unless your all torso.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    @ruri: This was a personal size recommendation from an on one rep. Who knew me. We talked about it a lot Their site wasn't as clear and the geometry was always changing on their sites. True story, they themselves didn't seem to know the angles. Also 64.5 degree head angle with a 160mm fork? Give me a break! That's as slack or slacker than quite a few commonly used DH bikes (Santa Cruz Bicycles V10-5-CARBON , Specialized Bicycle Components ). My Heckler has a 67.5 degree angle. That's more all mountain. While my XC bike offers a 70 degree HA. I know the difference. 64.5 HA coupled with a really long top tube flops around a ton when trying to ride flat or ups, or even tight/twisty downs where speed is not an easy thing to keep up.

I have a 50mm stem on there. 10 mm is just under 40% of an inch.

@Josue: I like to climb mountains. Big mountains. I live in Eugene, OR close to Oakridge. I love all day pedals and all day descents. I can cope with it, but it'd be a lot easier with a slightly steeper HA (reverse angleset) and/or shorter
    Last edited by MrBaker; 02-12-2013 at 08:27 PM.

@Josue: I like to climb mountains. Big mountains. I live in Eugene, OR close to Oakridge. I love all day pedals and all day descents. I can cope with it, but it'd be a lot easier with a slightly steeper HA (reverse angleset) and/or shorter
    Yes, I've been thinking about the HTA. I think it's very slack for what I would use it for. I have to climb steep mtns to descend. Soooo....I think I would be getting either an inbred or preferably a Trans AM.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm 5'9" with short legs, on a small 456c but I need a whopper of a stem, 110-130mm in order to make it fit nicely for XC. I'd run a 90 or so if I was doing more technical AM type stuff on it. If I was doing it again I'd do the medium frame and a shorter stem.

Personally I wouldn't worry about the head angle, as long as you get the fit ok and can move to the front of the saddle the front end isn't going to lift on climbs, also being a hard tail the angle only gets steeper as the suspension compresses. So it sags in to a steeper angle. Run less than a 150mm fork if you're really want to make it more of an XC machine.