mtbr member

Any plans for an All-Mountain 29er hardtail? 456 inspired geo?

Love On-One, but for my next bike, might be looking for a little more "all mountain" flair.. Maybe 68.5 degrees up front, 120mm.....
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Grab a number, it'll be a long wait.

mtbr member
    Parkwood 29. Not long now.

B.Ike
    ^^will this be a steel frame?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ElwoodT View Post
    ^^will this be a steel frame?
    No.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brant View Post
    No.
    Any more details? Is it basically an aluminum Fireline Evo?

I'm still puzzled why no On-One 45629er steel AM frame. I'm sure there's a market for it at On-One's awesome pricing and value.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    No.
    Aluminum pushes all of my buttons. It's cheaper than carbon, but in the same weight category. It may be a little more harsh, but on a bike where I run big tires, I really don't mind.

mtbr member
    Good to know Brant thanks. I will be first inline once she comes out! BTW- Noticed Planet X doesn't really have much in stock these days - a friend tried to buy a Scandal and I tried to buy a stem... Is this normal in the winter?
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member

Re: Any plans for an All-Mountain 29er hardtail? 456 inspired geo?

68.5° is pretty steep for an AM hardtail IMO. My AM 29er is 66.5° and bikes are getting slacker over time.

Once you go slack, you never go back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Any more details? Is it basically an aluminum Fireline Evo?

I'm still puzzled why no On-One 45629er steel AM frame. I'm sure there's a market for it at On-One's awesome pricing and value.
    In order to get the strength for a moderately long 29er fork, the steel frame would weigh a lot.

Or be very expensive.

That's REEAAALLLL Nice
    Brant,
    Now that the XC oriented Scandal is being discontinued, what will be replace it, and when? I can't find a medium Scandal anywhere on the planet and I'm digging the Inbred / Scandal geometry. What say ye? Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The Carbon Lurcher is based on the Scandal geometry, for just a little more coin, or for less you could go with an Inbred.

My personal preference would to be to go with steel, and spend more on my wheels, but you can build it any way you'd like. Both work great.

That's REEAAALLLL Nice
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeDave View Post
    The Carbon Lurcher is based on the Scandal geometry, for just a little more coin, or for less you could go with an Inbred.

My personal preference would to be to go with steel, and spend more on my wheels, but you can build it any way you'd like. Both work great.

Hey there, BikeDave
    I don't know yet if I'm ready to make the move to Carbon, and I already have a size medium Inbred, but why not another one, right? Or since I'm between a size medium and large, I could scarf up a large Scandal before they vanish, and build up a light weight rig. I love the steel Inbred, running rigid and with Hope/Stans Flow wheels!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    BlueSteel

For me I'd try to get as broad of a quiver as possible. If you're running your current Inbred with a rigid, and itching to try something different, I'd think of either:
    1) building a super light scandal or inbred monster-cross rig (light weight with some Iron Cross rims and maybe some mod bars.
    OR 2) wait to see what the price is on the new Parkwood is and consider building something burlier than the Inbred with a 120 - 140mm fork as more of an AM beast. If you went this route, I'd probably move your Flow wheelset to the Parkwood, and put something lighter (Stans Arch?) on your Inbred.

Just my .02 They're all fun to ride, and I wouldn't judge you for having two of anything.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueSteel View Post
    Brant,
    Now that the XC oriented Scandal is being discontinued, what will be replace it, and when? I can't find a medium Scandal anywhere on the planet and I'm digging the Inbred / Scandal geometry. What say ye? Thanks in advance!
    Parkwood

Instagram

That's REEAAALLLL Nice
    Parkwood

Instagram
    Nice, I'm poised and ready, brother! Swap-out drop-outs, too??? Dude, sign me up!

That's REEAAALLLL Nice
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeDave View Post
    BlueSteel

For me I'd try to get as broad of a quiver as possible. If you're running your current Inbred with a rigid, and itching to try something different, I'd think of either:
    1) building a super light scandal or inbred monster-cross rig (light weight with some Iron Cross rims and maybe some mod bars.
    OR 2) wait to see what the price is on the new Parkwood is and consider building something burlier than the Inbred with a 120 - 140mm fork as more of an AM beast. If you went this route, I'd probably move your Flow wheelset to the Parkwood, and put something lighter (Stans Arch?) on your Inbred.

Just my .02 They're all fun to ride, and I wouldn't judge you for having two of anything.
    BikeDave,

I think you nailed it. Will probably throw a set of Stans Arch on the Inbred, and build up a Parkwood with Flows. Should be a fun bike! RIP Scandal!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Parkwood

Instagram
    And of course the important question......price?
    If you hurt in your efforts and suffer painful dings. Then you are doing it right.

mtbr member
    WHoa!! Looks pretty sweet and at $275 yet again a STEAL!

B.Ike
    I'm surprised no one asked about chainstay length. Long ala 456 or shorter ala fireline?