Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Any info on 650b Codeine

I'm thinking of this posted by Ed.

Instagram

Any info on 650b Codeine-2e24b5e658f611e3bcd512a0b7292644_8.jpg

I'm thinking of getting a new Full Susser, and was going to go for the ElGuapo, but I like the sound of this more.

So I'm pondering of waiting for this one and getting a 456 evo2 built in the meantime

or just going for the ElGuapo.

It would be great if Brant can give us some more info.

mtbr member
    Greetings from China.
    650B Codeine is in drawing stage, and we'll be looking to bring that online in the next few months to run alongside the 29er to let the people decide.

mtbr member
    Hi Brant. Thanks for the info. A question please, since you're the designer. What would be the drawbacks of running this frame with 26 wheels until I get the money for a new wheel set and forks.

And is it possibe we get some info on the geo and travel of the Codeine 650mg

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5035D using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by drakche View Post
    Hi Brant. Thanks for the info. A question please, since you're the designer. What would be the drawbacks of running this frame with 26 wheels until I get the money for a new wheel set and forks.

And is it possibe we get some info on the geo and travel of the Codeine 650mg

I am not the designer, but I can tell you that if you run a 650b bike with 26" wheels and fork the geometry will be pretty screwed up. The head angle will be way too steep and your pedals will be hitting things a lot.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    You lose about 12mm of bb height.

Assuming you run the same size wheels at both ends and the same fork for 650/26 then wheelbase, head/seat angle and fork trail remain the same.

If you're running a 26er fork on a 650b frame, head/seat angle may be up to 0.5 degree steeper than quoted for a given travel (bb drop maybe a little more than 12mm too, but only a little), measuring the axle to crown height of the stock 650b fork versus your own will give you a more accurate picture.

Sorry I'm not Brant, but I've sold a couple of 650b frames to people who immediately put 26in wheels on them and neither of them have died or reported strange new lumps yet. A Bronson with 26er wheels feels suspiciously normal when you ride it...

mtbr member
    Thanks for the answer. Because I can't easily fork out for a new wheelset and fork and frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks for the answer. Because I can't easily fork out for a new wheelset and fork and frame.

It's gonna be quite a slow build.

I'm looking at building a 456 too - but still trying to scrape enough cash together. Haha we're on the same boat amigo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Hi Brant; is there any chain growth with this frame? Can i just take my driveline off my 29er scandal and plonk it on this frame (1x10 with a shimano zee derailleur). Or will I need a longer chain?

What will be ready first, this or the parkwood?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adharvey View Post
    Hi Brant; is there any chain growth with this frame? Can i just take my driveline off my 29er scandal and plonk it on this frame (1x10 with a shimano zee derailleur). Or will I need a longer chain?

What will be ready first, this or the parkwood?

Thanks.
    I don't know of any suspension frame that actually rides properly that doesn't have chain growth.
    So no - you will need a longer chain. And the 650B one is behind the 29in one, which isn't here until April.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Quote Originally Posted by brant View Post
    I don't know of any suspension frame that actually rides properly that doesn't have chain growth.
    So no - you will need a longer chain. And the 650B one is behind the 29in one, which isn't here until April.
    I'm glad that there will be a 650b version. I've been looking for a new Enduro rig, but I have a major issue with every bike I see. It either isn't offered with a decent part spec without going nuts, isn't offered as a frame only (for a fair price), has a **** shock that would be BS to replace ($580 for a CCDB), or just has wrong angles for the bike (Spesh 650 stumpy EVO), or just a bit too much (kona 153)

I am guessing it'll be 150mm?

Besides, my Lurcher needs a friend!

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Why no XL 29er Codeine?

Guess no people over 6' (1.8m) in the UK when you were designing this thing. Especially being a 29er. Sizing stops at size Large with only an ETT of 24.4" (620mm) and reach of 16.8" (427mm). If this thing wants to compete with the likes of the Banshee Prime, SC TB LT, Kona Process 111, etc. sizing needs to be reworked a bit no?. Especially when they say stuff like this "We recommend the shorter style of stem, from 35-55mm and 720-780mm bars."

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    What's the ETA for the 650B Codeine? Slap a CCDB Air CS on there and you can take my money...
    Last edited by gretch; 04-05-2014 at 05:28 PM.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Also, I may be picky, but the chainstay is awful close to the chain no?

EDIT: I guess not, I think the small chainring makes it look close.

mtbr member
    This interests me greatly. Recently built up a 45650B, however the itch for another full susser has risen, and ive been eying many 650B framesets.

mtbr member
    Mix of 650B and 29er proto's as of 2 weeks ago via Brant. I will say, I hope they come with a raw option. If not - stripping them doesnt void warranty, right? :P

Take my money!!

mtbr member
    Nice but CS would be good

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Any further news on a 650B version?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I just found this. I am very interested in this frame. I hope it comes out soon, there are tons of great options out there now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    If this comes out with similar pricing to the 29er version, you will have my money.

then I can hit the trails humming this:

Trampled by Turtles - Codeine (Lyrics) - YouTube

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    If I ever retire my 45650b (which is awesome) a 650b codeine will be its replacement, looks very nice (provided that it will come in XL!).

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Hopefully the 650b version follows the new school geometry trend. I'd like to see this thing long and slack.

Any ideas when we'll get new information?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Why no XL 29er Codeine?

Guess no people over 6' (1.8m) in the UK when you were designing this thing. Especially being a 29er. Sizing stops at size Large with only an ETT of 24.4" (620mm) and reach of 16.8" (427mm). If this thing wants to compete with the likes of the Banshee Prime, SC TB LT, Kona Process 111, etc. sizing needs to be reworked a bit no?. Especially when they say stuff like this "We recommend the shorter style of stem, from 35-55mm and 720-780mm bars."
    Had there been an XL, I'd have ordered one immediately. Love the looks of this bike but just need a little more in the TT/Reach for the taller folks. Pretty please, with sugar on top...

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Obviously no dates set in stone can be given, but about when are they shooting for? Later this year? Next year? 2016?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    From what I've heard, it will be sometime in August and will be available in RAW. Need to save some moolahh!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast