Just Ride!

Answering the Gravel Call

I have high hopes that On-One will help people like me fill my craving for a reasonably priced gravel machine. Yes, before you pile on... I know you can ride virtually any bike on gravel! I have ridden my Scandal on several 50 to 100+ mile gravel rides, but it is obviously not ideal set-up. For my tastes, I would love to see a drop bar, disc braked, steel frame and fork rig. Perhaps something along the lines of the Planet-X Kaffenback with more BB drop, longer chain stays, and room for 700 x 42 tires. What would answer your gravel call?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Answering the Gravel Call-kaffenback.jpg  

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Pretty much this with Retroshift.

If you hurt in your efforts and suffer painful dings. Then you are doing it right.

Just Ride!
    Perhaps I am a little slow on the uptake, but why is the On-One / Planet-X website so difficult to navigate and make sense of? It seems that the Pompetamine has been there all along and I just somehow missed it.

Now to get some revisions to the geometry, more rear tire clearance, and add the SwapOut system to it. Anybody currently running one of these as a dropbar care to way in on it's effectiveness as a gravel machine?

Just Ride!
    I guess this would be a good place to start with my ideal large.

A B C D E F G BB Drop
    72 145 575 72.5 540 435 31.5+/- 70
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Answering the Gravel Call

I have ridden my Pompetamine on almost all surface types but only with 25C tires on Velocity A23 rims. It currently has Midge bars. I love my Pomp for these reasons:

@ Slot-dropout and decent tire clearance, so I can move up to cross tires or run 29er wheels with not-too-wide MTB tires.
    @ Disc brakes and attach points for fenders/racks

But the Pomp is definitely a compact road frame geometry. Some like and want this. I prefer more of a spread out/upright MTB riding position, although this is not necessarily conducive to long days/many miles in the saddle.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by eugenemtbing View Post

But the Pomp is definitely a compact road frame geometry. Some like and want this. I prefer more of a spread out/upright MTB riding position, although this is not necessarily conducive to long days/many miles in the saddle.
    If one looks around the Internet enough they will find out that there really is no clear cut "Gravel Grinder" frame. And you will see many different answers to this based on individual needs, tastes, and of course terrain.
    If you hurt in your efforts and suffer painful dings. Then you are doing it right.