What could go wrong ...

Another 456 build and review

Photos of the build

An On One 456 SSSS (Salsa Surly Single Speed)

I had been eyeing up a 456 frame for awhile and when they offered the 25% off I grabbed one up. The shipping was fast and the frame arrived very well packed for shipping.

First thing I did was treat the inside of the frame with Frame Saver and let it sit for a day or two while waiting for some parts to come in. Then I got with TimT to face and chase the frame and check the alignment. The only thing that caught my eye was the amount of gunk (primer and paint) that was in the threads for the rear derailleur hanger but a quick chase of the threads solved that. So we faced the headset and the bottom bracket then chased the threads in the bottom bracket and all that went as planned. When we checked the alignment of the frame the rear dropouts were a little crooked so we straightened them out easily. The rear derailleur hanger was bent. ( I have yet to buy a frame that the hanger was not bent)

All the parts came in and the frame was now ready to be built up. I am running this as a SS so I used a Yess ETR/B tensioner that mounts on the bottom bracket instead of the rear derailleur type of tensioner. I ended up putting 2 spacers on the non drive side to cheat the chainline over 2.5 mm. Normally on a 68mm BB there would be 2 spacers on the drive side and 1 on the non drive side. I ended up with the tensioner on the DS and 2 spacers on the NDS. This made for a very clean chain line.

This frame can run a 4,5 or 6 inch travel fork so I set it up with a 100mm suspension corrected Salsa El Mariachi fork. (actually just their 29er fork) It was just a bonus that the paint was a good match. It is a tapered and butted CroMo fork with no V brake studs so it looks very clean.

I run a 650b front wheel with a 26 rear wheel and this setup gave the bike a 70 degree head angle. It has a 34/15 gear combo and it has an Sram 890 chain. The Surly cogs and chainrings are rated for 9spd but I tried a Sram 990 chain and it was binding too much for my liking so I replaced it with an 8spd chain and it is much better.

I have about 35 miles on it so far and I have been very pleased with the bike. It is very compliant and rides very soft for a rigid SS bike. Big tires and low PSI probably help with this, but it is a big improvement over my AL rigid SS bike.

The finish on the frame and the welds are absolutely beautiful and while I was building it up I kept thinking this is going to be one heavy bike but I was surprised when it weighed in at 25 lbs, not light for an SS bike but 5 lbs lighter than my FS geared bike so I was happy with it.

2 things that had me concerned was that a 27.2 seat post is very loose in the seat tube, if I open the QR seat clamp the seat post will just fall down in the frame. I have never had this happen in a frame so I put a caliper on the post and the frame and they measured out to spec so I am not sure why the post is so loose in the frame. While the frame rides very soft I did notice that on one stand up and grunt climb I noticed that I can flex the rear of the frame enough to cause the brakes to rub and I mean a lot not just a little zing rubbing. There is no cross brace on the chainstays which gives plenty of clearance but if it had one I don't think the frame would flex as much as it does and if the yoke off the seat tube to the seatstays was a little shorter you would be able to fit a 650b wheel in the frame.

The steel 456 will not fit a 650b wheel but the carbon frame will.

I'd like to thank Shiggy and the guys at On One for a great frame at a great price.

Frame: On One 456 18"
    Fork: Salsa El Mariachi
    Headset: Cane Creek S3
    Crankset: Shimano LX
    Chain Ring: Surly 34t stainless steel
    Cog: Surly 15t
    Tensioner: Yess ETR/B
    Chain: Sram 890
    SS kit: Gusset Double Six
    Front Wheel: Sun EQ27 650b rim with a Sun Ringle Disc Jockey disc hub
    Tire: WTB Wolverine 2.2 650b
    Rear Wheel: Sun Rhyno Lite rim with an XT disc hub
    Tire: WTB Wolverine 2.2 - 26"
    Brakes: Avid BB7
    Brake Levers: Shimano Deore
    Rotors: Custom Brembo
    Pedals: Shimano 540
    Stem: Easton ea70
    Seat Post: Easton ea30
    Seat: Blue
    Seat Post Clamp: Salsa Flip Off
    Handlebars: Titec Hell Bent
    Grips: ODI Rogue lock ons
    Water Bottle Cage: Bontrager RL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another 456 build and review-dsc07550.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Zoke2; 04-17-2012 at 11:49 AM.
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Nice looking bike.

What could go wrong ...
    Thanks. I have about 170 miles on it now and I just have to say this is the best handling bike that I own.

mtbr member
    Tell me abou that chain tensioner. Do you like it? How does it compare on the ride to a rear tensioner?
    On One Summer Season Single Speed

What could go wrong ...
    it is a Yess etr-b I could have used a half link and not needed a tensioner but I run a few different cogs so the tensioner leaves enough chain to fit. It mounts on the BB and is very adjustable and it is cleaner looking than the rear derailleur type tensioners.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoke2 View Post
    it is a Yess etr-b I could have used a half link and not needed a tensioner but I run a few different cogs so the tensioner leaves enough chain to fit. It mounts on the BB and is very adjustable and it is cleaner looking than the rear derailleur type tensioners.
    Thanks. I have been riding my Summer Season as a single speed and running 36 front with an 18 cog, with no tensioner. With a pending trip to the mountains I added a cheap tensioner and a 20 tooth cog. I think I'll pick up one like you have after the trip.

Thanks again.

John
    On One Summer Season Single Speed