mtbr member

About to purchase my first On One (maybe two), advice requested

In Feb of this year I built up a steel 29er hard tail. At the time I had planned on a 29er inbred frame, but a used Marin Pine Mountain came up on craigslist and I cheaped out and bought that. Well it cracked already. I also have a Haro V4 26" hard tail, also with a broken frame. I am trying to decide if I need to make the switch to FS or if I should stick with hard tail.

I am thinking of buying an Inbred 29er frame for XC duties and a 456 for when things get rougher. I can buy the frames and swap all the parts over from the other two bikes. The 456 would have cheaper parts for now but I would upgrade them as I could/as they wear out. It would also be stuck with a 100mm fork, unit I could save up for new fork and wheels.

I know asking in this section I will probably get slightly biased opinions, but does that sound like a reasonable plan or am I duplicating capabilities with these 2 bikes? Also will the 456 be sturdy enough to handle rocky AZ trails with 2 foot drops or so? Keep in mind I am a Clyde (230#) and I am not a very smooth rider as evidenced by 2 broken bikes. Your opinions are welcome and appreciated.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

About to purchase my first On One (maybe two), advice requested

The On One 29ers are perfect for a good, fun, responsive cross-country/all-rounder mountain bike -- especially for a taller/larger person who won't be challenged by frame size. Same geo for the Inbred, Scandal and Lurcher -- just pick what you want your frame made of and how light you want it to be (I ride one of each kind in 19.5" version/I am 5-11 and 200 lbs and prefer a larger frame).

As you know, the 456 is slacker and more DH focused. I have heard good reviews of this frame but don't have one and haven't ridden one. There are a few variations, such as Summer Season and the new EVO geometry.

Have you thought about getting a 29er Inbred (or Scandal or Lurcher), and then a Titus FS, such as a 29er Rockstar or 26er El Guapo? That would get you a good bike in a distinctly different part of the ride spectrum.

The On One/Planet X group includes Titus and other brands, and they bring the same concept of good products/great pricing with each one. I have been putting time on a carbon Rockstar, and it is a blast to ride. The El Guapo would be even more DH oriented.

Also, if you can stand to wait, sign up for the On One/Planet X email newsletters from the UK and USA branches, and watch for sales. Every couple months, you will see an insanely reduced price on some frames, and that's a good time to pounce, if you have sorted out what you are looking for. Lurchers, for instance, were on sale a few months ago for $360 or so -- an amazing price for a great carbon 29er frame.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. I signed up for the email list, will see what comes through. I have looked at the Titus FS bikes, very nice looking. Basically my quandary is I can afford 1 FS do-it-all bike, or 2 HT bikes that would be more specialized, XC then AM. Just trying to decide which way I want to go.

Quote Originally Posted by eugenemtbing View Post
    The On One 29ers are perfect for a good, fun, responsive cross-country/all-rounder mountain bike -- especially for a taller/larger person who won't be challenged by frame size. Same geo for the Inbred, Scandal and Lurcher -- just pick what you want your frame made of and how light you want it to be (I ride one of each kind in 19.5" version/I am 5-11 and 200 lbs and prefer a larger frame).

As you know, the 456 is slacker and more DH focused. I have heard good reviews of this frame but don't have one and haven't ridden one. There are a few variations, such as Summer Season and the new EVO geometry.

Have you thought about getting a 29er Inbred (or Scandal or Lurcher), and then a Titus FS, such as a 29er Rockstar or 26er El Guapo? That would get you a good bike in a distinctly different part of the ride spectrum.

The On One/Planet X group includes Titus and other brands, and they bring the same concept of good products/great pricing with each one. I have been putting time on a carbon Rockstar, and it is a blast to ride. The El Guapo would be even more DH oriented.

Also, if you can stand to wait, sign up for the On One/Planet X email newsletters from the UK and USA branches, and watch for sales. Every couple months, you will see an insanely reduced price on some frames, and that's a good time to pounce, if you have sorted out what you are looking for. Lurchers, for instance, were on sale a few months ago for $360 or so -- an amazing price for a great carbon 29er frame.