mtbr member
    Jan 2004

456EVO2 static geometry at 100mm

Can someone help me identify the static (unsagged) 456EVOII geometry (14" and 16") at 100mm fork (478mm Axle to Crown). I'm trying to compare it to some other frames and am having difficulty given how the geometry is reported.

Specifically, Head angle, Seat tube angle, Bottom bracket height, effective top tube

The on-one site lists angles for a 150mm travel fork unsagged. If I assume a 50 mm difference between a 100mm fork and 150mm fork and estimate .5 degree change /10mm AC difference, I get 2.5degree change for Head angle and Seat tube angle. Am I thinking about this right?
    My training BLOG

training BLOG for a regular joe Married w/ children, Full time Job, No Genetic talent, wanna-be mountain bike racer

Morris Training Primer

mtbr member
    Here's what I got off my 18" evo 2 with a Pike lowered to 100 mm and a Cane Creek 40 series external cup on the head tube. Since it's 18" the ETT measurements won't be relevant.

HA: ~68.5 degrees
    SA: ~73 degrees
    BB Height: ~31.5 cm

IMO, the bike will ride like crap if it's 100 mm. You could do it, but it handles better with 120-130 or higher.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for doing this. My goal is an aggressive XC frame. I want something that can climb well, especially technical climbing (roots/rocks) but be somewhat balanced on the downhills. I am not looking for all mountain

My frame of reference is an old school hard tail with way to quick 71.5 HA around a 70mm fork. I put an 80mm fork on it and it's still a tad quick and don't like how it slackened the seat tube angle and raised the bb. My dually is an iron horse azure with HA of 70.5 sA 73. I run both with short stem/wide bars.

My intent was a hard tail like the Kona explosif's of old with short chainstay low BB longish TT for use with short stem/wide bar, HA of around 69.5 and BB height of 12

Of the bikes I've been looking at the Cotic soul and genesis Latitude 853 fit the bill. I am looking harder at on one given availability in USA and incredible value. The inbred looks good but just wanted a little slacker on the HA, which I guess I can do wi
    My training BLOG

training BLOG for a regular joe Married w/ children, Full time Job, No Genetic talent, wanna-be mountain bike racer

Morris Training Primer

mtbr member
    So I tried it at 100 mm for half of the ride today. Not as bad as I originally thought and still quite capable. It feels like an XC bike with a steeper than normal SA; if I were running it at 100 mm all the time, I would spec a setback post.