mtbr member
    Jul 2010

456c and Whippet questions

Hi all,

Contemplating on getting either the 456c or Whippet frame.

Wondering if anybody run either 456c or Whippet with a rigid fork? Thinking of a NINER carbon fork (470mm A2C).

How does it feels for both bikes with the above fork? Especially the BB height issue

Also I'm thinking of running it SS with micro gearing (26T granny x 18T cog). Any clearance for the chainstay on both bikes?

Thanks in advance.

screamer

multi purpose urban assault zombie apocalypse whippet

Before we get into this, yes, I know it's a mutt.

I just built up my whippet this week, with rigid 465mm fork. I waffled back & forth whether to get that or the 445mm, but eventually decided that I'd rather have slightly more relaxed geometry. The whole point of this bike was to build up a lightweight commuter, light-duty tour cruiser, rugrat hauler, gravel grinder, CX and XC race bike, while trying to replicate the cockpit of my trail FS: wide bars, short stem, semi-slack. I figured I didn't want my bars way below my saddle (back problems mean I can't do the "ass-in-the-air" XC-racer thing) and a 465mm fork is even shorter than a 120mm suspension (like a 26" Reba) at sag.

Time will tell if I made the right decision, but so far so good. I'm still getting used to the bike to be honest, so it's a little hard to tell nuance like whether the BB height is right. But I just went on a trail ride, and I don't think I'd want the bike any steeper. Cornering seems pretty damn good, especially since riding full-rigid -- and on a low knobby tire in muddy conditions -- is a pretty strange experience for me. Last time I did that was in 1991. (Yes, I'm old. So what?) So the initial answer is no, the BB doesn't seem too tall.

No experience with the 456, so I can't comment on that.

Pics below. Be kind to my ugly, ugly new pet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 456c and Whippet questions-whippet_01.jpg  

456c and Whippet questions-whippet_02.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

screamer
    Oh and about your other question, chainring clearance...

Leaving aside for a moment that riding SS is heretic madness and wackos who insist on pursuing it should be shunned by civilized society, I have a 32t on there and there's plenty of space. Probably could go up to 36t without trouble, not sure about 38t. With the 26t, is that run effectively in the middle chainring position, or as a granny? If it's in the granny spot, you might be out of luck. If you can clarify, I'll take a look & see if I can get you a more definitive answer. Think I might have a 26t lying around here somewhere...

Or you could just get a derailleur like a normal person.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Damn... That's a sweeeeet bike! What's the weight of it? Thanks for the tips, budgie. Appreciated it.

As for the 26T chainring, I'm running it at granny (64BCD). Thanks in advance.

screamer
    thanks! It's a bit of a mongrel, but fun project. Weighs in at 21.6lbs, and figure to drop about a pound getting it ready to race cross in a month or so.

OK, 26t. It's tight, but I think do-able. I measure my 26t ring as 2 3/16" radius. On the whippet, conservatively there's 2.25" clear from the center of BB to the chain stay in the 64bcd position. Granted, I haven't mounted up the ring to be certain (my 26t isn't 64mm) but the math appears to work out. Maybe give on one a buzz to see what they say.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hi Budgie, thanks. I emailed OnOne and they say the same thing, it should fit. But no actual experience running the exect setup though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by budgie View Post
    Before we get into this, yes, I know it's a mutt.
    Pics below. Be kind to my ugly, ugly new pet.
    dat thing is sweeeet.
    470-465 is about as tall as a sagged 120 I reckon.
    both 456c and whippet should be run with a 470ish, not 450ish, IMHO.

OP check on one's carbon forks. especially the tapered one if you go for the 456c
    On-One Monocoque Tapered Carbon Fork

26 granny bolted on a deore crank clears the 456c chainstay easy, no problem whatsoever.
    Last edited by p_cycle; 09-03-2012 at 07:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Running 18-26 is madness, unless I'm misunderstanding you. I'm running 18-32 and I spin out alot. I would highly recommend going with a 32t in front and getting a 20t for the back until you are used to SS riding, then drop down to an 18t or 16t depending on the terrain you are riding on a regular basis.

As for the frame if you want a low bb but want to keep the head angle a bit slacker you could get a 456C with a short ATC fork and a works slackset to keep the HA nice. That would give you a super low BB though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hi P-Cycle, thanks!

Bodger, yeah that would be 26T chainring with a 18T cog. That works out roughly to a 32x22 gearing. Guess I'm not strong enough... LOL

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Unless you are climbing in the mountains non stop I really dont recommend anything easier then 32x20, 32x18 is just about right for all purpose mtb use. You still have to walk up the really steep bits though.

Also make sure you have 175mm crank arms. apparently you can even get 180mm crank arms which are more SS specific but then a low bb might cause you to pedal strike more then usual.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Question about Whippet BB clearance. I have BB92 with HT2 basic 3x9 crankset. Anybody have experiences or comments about 3x9 -> 2x9 conversion in this case. I assume if I want to use for example 26-40 or 28-40 setup, I need to put smaller (TA) chainring to place of smallest chainring and bigger chainring to place of middle chainring.

So how about clearance issue? I am not sure if smaller chain ring will fit because HT crankset small chainring sits almost top of the bb. Is there any help of using spacer ?