mtbr member
    Aug 2010

456 vs. 2013 Santa Cruz Chameleon

Recently saw the new video for the refreshed Santa Cruz Chameleon. The geo looked familiar and it seems that the two frames are fairly similar in design. Got me thinking that maybe a 456 with a 140mm-150mm fork could be a fun build to take to Rays in Milwaukee during the winter. Anyone have any thoughts on the two bikes' attributes or if the 456 would be a good bike for indoor winter use? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Are you referring to the 456 EVO?

If so, between the Evo and 2013 Chameleon, I would definitely pick the On-One 456 EVO. Steel is much better for a 26er HT, a better value as well. You just can't beat an "All-Mountain" steel hardtail these days.

And not too mention, a 2013 Chameleon is $750 frame only, 456 EVO is only $325.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The 456 EVO looks good, wish it had a tapered headset though. I'm toying with the idea of the 456 carbon built up for indoor bike park/pump track use. I'm guessing I would need a 100mm fork but I'm curious how the geometry would feel given the frame is recommended with the use of a 120mm or longer fork.

mtbr member
    i have no experience with either bike but steel is also my choice for an AM HT.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Are you referring to the 456 EVO?

If so, between the Evo and 2013 Chameleon, I would definitely pick the On-One 456 EVO. Steel is much better for a 26er HT, a better value as well. You just can't beat an "All-Mountain" steel hardtail these days.

And not too mention, a 2013 Chameleon is $750 frame only, 456 EVO is only $325.
    The $$$ difference was why I went with 456 EVO over Chameleon frame. Very happy with my 456 EVO

Ski N Bike Tech
    Hmmm, I too was considering the new Chameleon, but I'm now tempted by the price of the On-One. Curse the monkey wrench.