Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 456 Evo II

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

456 Evo II

Just got back from my maiden ride - very impressed!
    I had a 456 Carbon for a couple of years and loved it but sold it because it beat me up - that thing was STIFF. I missed having a hardtail and had high hopes for this frame. Happy to report I am not disappointed.

The 456C was snappy - more due to the stiffness than the weight. This frame isn't snappy in that way but it does really take the edge off the trail - it's really compliant and feels good. At 6ft, I opted for the 18 inch - not sure yet if I made the right decision as it feels a tad short (with a 50mm stem). It is however playful which I like as I have a couple couple of dualies which are long, slack and low and I'm not looking for this to replace them.

All in all - very stoked.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Sweet. Mine is being shipped as we speak.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by subicecom View Post
    Sweet. Mine is being shipped as we speak.
    same! man, I get more and more stoked as more evo2 stuff pops up. I cant wait to build mine up

mtbr member
    Instead of me digging thru posts, can u briefly tell me the diffs between evo and evo 2? Thanks anybody.
    - I do know the seat post diameter is bigger, that is all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by F.N.G View Post
    Instead of me digging thru posts, can u briefly tell me the diffs between evo and evo 2? Thanks anybody.
    - I do know the seat post diameter is bigger, that is all.
    Geometry identical, tube shapes and profiles more optimised for lighter weight, better ride.
    Seat tube now takes a 30.9mm post and 34.9mm seat clamp and FD.

Dorkimus Prime
    GravityFreaky, I think you nailed the sizing. I'm 5'11" and ride an 18 original 456. Maybe a longer stem...but you shouldn't need too much...
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brant View Post
    Geometry identical, tube shapes and profiles more optimised for lighter weight, better ride.
    Seat tube now takes a 30.9mm post and 34.9mm seat clamp and FD.
    Brant: website says not in stock. Are they in stock and site just not updated? Thx

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    GravityFreaky, I think you nailed the sizing. I'm 5'11" and ride an 18 original 456. Maybe a longer stem...but you shouldn't need too much...
    Yea I guess I need to get used to it. I've only managed one ride before getting ill so I'll give it a few more outings before perhaps trying a 60mm stem.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Finally got to ride my bike again. Can't believe how comfortable the ride is on this thing. Where I live the trails are very very rough and rocky and seeing a hardtail is pretty rare because of it. I just rode my usual 17km look which is a mixture of rocky singletrack, very rocky techy bits and some fast and ROUGH downhill bits. The rougher bits are enough to make your hands feel it on a 150mm AM rig and yet I found the
    hardtail to be extremely compliant with no hand fatigue at all. I am running pretty high volume tires but honestly, I am blown away by how nicely this frame rides. I gather from comments I've read that the 456 Evo was a bit harsh - well while I haven't ridden one I can definitely tell you that this is not! It's been said before about these bikes and it certainly holds true; they encourage you to ride at the same pace as you might on a full suspension rig (which can end in disaster if you aren't paying attention!).

VERY VERY STOKED with my purchase.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    They're sweet bikes. I had an Inbred that got stolen, then replaced it with a Ragley Blue Pig. That frame was much heavier and didn't ride as well. Sold it and got another Inbred. I'm light and don't need the extra burliness of the 456. If I wanted to run a bigger fork, 456 would be my pick.

mtbr member
    Brant: website says not in stock. Are they in stock and site just not updated? Thx
    Brant, thanks for turning me on to Michael in the US today. He called and by end of phone call, I had a medium Matt Raw on its way.

Your help and patience was and is much appreciated....

Best,
    Mark

mtbr member
    gravityfreaky, thank you for the review! I'm so stoked to build mine up! I was going to wait until winter, but now I want to do it asap!

I'm on a very low end aluminum frame with narrow tires and tubes it sounds like I'm going to be very happy with similar sized tires (2.4/2.25 tubeless) and the new frame. Anything to take the edge off the northeast roots and rocks sounds great haha. I was a little nervous that the Evo2 would be like the previous models which were fairly stiff it sounded like.

mtbr member
    Brant, thanks for turning me on to Michael in the US today. He called and by end of phone call, I had a medium Matt Raw on its way.

Your help and patience was and is much appreciated....

Best,
    Mark
    I'm also looking for a Medium Matte Raw here in the states. Did they have one here for you?

Drew
    The force that through the green fuse drives the flower drives my green age
    That blasts the root of trees is my destroyer

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaPanthers View Post
    gravityfreaky, thank you for the review! I'm so stoked to build mine up! I was going to wait until winter, but now I want to do it asap!

I'm on a very low end aluminum frame with narrow tires and tubes it sounds like I'm going to be very happy with similar sized tires (2.4/2.25 tubeless) and the new frame. Anything to take the edge off the northeast roots and rocks sounds great haha. I was a little nervous that the Evo2 would be like the previous models which were fairly stiff it sounded like.
    You're gonna love it !

mtbr member

Just got it today

Contact Michael Golinski, General Manager tituscycles(at)gmail(dot)com

or Brandon, brandon(at)planet-x-usa(dot)com

I don't know if he had that one just happening to come in or if he had several... Good luck

456 Evo II-20130912_170441.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gravityfreaky View Post
    You're gonna love it !

Contact Michael Golinski, General Manager tituscycles(at)gmail(dot)com

or Brandon, brandon(at)planet-x-usa(dot)com
    I would also recommend getting in touch with Brandon at Planet X, great CS!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    My frame has now turned up. Looks nice, if not a little different from the pics online. The seat stay design is completely different from the online images I have seen. I can't post pics yet, but it resembles the design on the Cotic Bfe. I have the 14 inch version in Raw.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by subicecom View Post
    My frame has now turned up. Looks nice, if not a little different from the pics online. The seat stay design is completely different from the online images I have seen. I can't post pics yet, but it resembles the design on the Cotic Bfe. I have the 14 inch version in Raw.
    The 14in model has a bent wishbone rather than a cut and weld due to size issues.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I thought this may be the case. Cheers Brant.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hey Brant,

On my 18 inch frame - there are 4 cable guides (2 x cable, 2 x hydraulic) in the front and middle positions under the top tube - but only three (2 x cable, 1 x hydraulic) closest to the seat tube. This means that from the middle position, the hydraulic hose for my Reverb has no where to be mounted so I've had to cable tie it to the rear derailleur cable at the rear. No big deal by any means but it does seem odd. An oversight or by design (and if the latter - why as it seams strange?).

mtbr member

Built

Finished my build today.

Medium Frame
    Rockshox Revelation 20mm thru axle
    Hadley 10mm bolt laced to 819 rear wheel
    Hope pro 2 laced to 819 front
    Ks dropper/temporary til my Thomson post comes in
    WTB saddle
    Sixc Carbon bars (780mm)
    Shimano XT brakes (160mm front and back rotors)
    SRAM XO Carbon Cranks
    Podium Point One Pedals
    XTR Rear Shifter
    Xt Shadow Plus Rear Der
    Straitline Amp 50mm Stem
    Specialized Grips

First ride tomorrow. It looks fun. Sorry for crappy pic. Get some better ones on upcoming ride.

456 Evo II-20130921_181646.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Very nice buddy. High budget build there. What's she weigh in at? Have you ridden her yet?

mtbr member

Better pic

Quote Originally Posted by gravityfreaky View Post
    Very nice buddy. High budget build there. What's she weigh in at? Have you ridden her yet?
    I've yet to weigh it. No scale. First hard tail ride in ten years. It is fast and fun bombing down trail. Climbs pretty good too. Just need to get used to no squish under my butt and once I get more used to it and adapt riding style, it will be more fun!
    Last edited by F.N.G; 09-26-2013 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Updated pic

mtbr member
    f.n.g - love the build! one day i'll post up some pics of mine although it's a much lighter build my fellow evo2's. gotta love the college budget haha.

we can all agree on this - matt raw is beautiful, and its a ton of to fun ride!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaPanthers View Post
    f.n.g - love the build! one day i'll post up some pics of mine although it's a much lighter build my fellow evo2's. gotta love the college budget haha.

we can all agree on this - matt raw is beautiful, and its a ton of to fun ride!
    Thanks. Have two rides on it this week. Its been over 10 years on a hard tail. I come from a plush Knolly chilcotin and it takes some getting used to. As re-learn to ride a hard tail, it is getting more fun. I hate crappy picks so I tried to get a cool one on last nights ride.

456 Evo II-image.jpg

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast