Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 456 Evo II

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaDave View Post

"Ketchup and Mustard." 456 evo ii rigid 69er.
    16" frame
    OS Bikes fork, 535mm AC, 50mm offset
    Pacenti DL31 rims, BHS hubs
    XT 165mm cranks w/ Cromag 32t cr
    Zee 10spd rd
    BB7 brakes, speed dial levers
    Thomson setback post, Brooks Cambium seat

Still kinda messing around with front tire, stem and bars. That 2.35 Ikon out back is the bomb, totally the right tire for this bike.

Not a terrible way to go rigid. However, knowing what I know now, I probably would have gone blunt 35 rims f&r, 650b front, On-One MKM carbon fork 450/50. Still gets you at the same basic geo as running a 26x26 with a 120mm fork, but your trail numbers get down into the 70s. Might try it someday.
    Cool set up! do you mean 435mm AC on that OS Bikes fork though? 535mm would be REALLy Tall.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    ^TY. Yes the fork is 435! My teeny little legs wouldn't touch the ground.

Nice fork, not too heavy, very comfy on the trail.

Trail numbers are in the upper 90's. Handling is light enough, it just wants to run wide in turns a little bit. Gotta keep an eye on it. "We like you please" indeed. OTOH I reduced my wheelbase by ~14mm. Something to be said for that.

Haven't given up on the "69er" concept totally, in fact I acquired one of the last new Trek 69er ss frames, they are on closeout.

Also hope to build up a Carver 96er later this year, I know you have or had one. That'll be a B6er most likely. I know it'll take 650b out back (looks like the Trek might, too) but I think we need some beef back there. Would rather have the extra volume than another quarter-inch of radius.

Really loving On-One these days. Once I'm done with the Trek, I plan to build up an Inbred as a B6er. The 456 is a great frame but the Inbred build is for a petite woman and that looks like a nice frame for someone who doesn't want too far a reach to the bars.

mtbr member
    Untitled by tk_1971, on Flickr

Latest pic. No problems climbing, but had a pinch flat going down (aggressively) this past weekend. Going to convert to budget tubeless and trying again.
    Last edited by tk1971; 05-13-2016 at 12:35 PM. Reason: updated the picture as of 4/2016

mbtr member
    456 Evo II-1043995d1453244288-all-mountain-hardtail-thread-post-up-yours-20160119_142306.jpg
    Name:  1043996d1453244311t-all-mountain-hardtail-thread-post-up-yours-20160119_142226.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  80.7 KB
    Name:  1043997d1453244337t-all-mountain-hardtail-thread-post-up-yours-20160119_142239.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  78.1 KB

Here's mine.

XL 456evo2
    Lyrik rc2dh lowered to 130mm
    stans flows
    2x9 XT with sram ratio gripshift
    XT brakes
    Gravity dropper 5" seatpost from 2008
    3" riser bars and a sparkly red schwinn saddle

I've had it a little over 2 years and it's so so rad. The fork is a fairly new addition (off my big bike) and it's incredible here. No hand fatigue on trails you'd typically ride a DH bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    ^ Nice bike. Like the red and that saddle is the shiznit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Here's my recent winter build. many parts were pre-existing in my parts bins, so many so I only needed a frame, headset, and crankset.

Project: FrankenBike

456 Evo2 18"

bars used to be white. I sanded and sanded and sanded and sanded then polished
    I also really dig making custom headcaps, so there you go.

456 Evo II-fullsizerender-2.jpg

456 Evo II-fullsizerender.jpg

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    Project: FrankenBike

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender-2.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	205.4 KB 
ID:	1055901
    That's AWESOME! How did you do that?

The flaming 36 is pretty sweet too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    That's AWESOME! How did you do that?

The flaming 36 is pretty sweet too.
    Thanks! I work up the design myself then submit the art through the custom services at KustomCaps - Laser-Etched Custom Bicycle Headset Caps in 10 anodized colors. Your bike wants one.

The fire 36 I re-painted years ago.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Re: bars, I've been thinking about polishing up some anodized bars. Was gonna try the Easy-Off method, those look nice though, maybe sanding is the way to go huh

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I've used easy-off to strip anodizing off. Works great but still requires sanding to polish 'em up. My bars were painted so I just did sanding. A lot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Well here she is, after reading this forum i just had to have one.
    Mine is custom built but also a very close replica of the factory deore model.
    forks are 140 mm recon airs that were a lucky find on ebay. I cant recomend on-one smorgasbord tyres enough.
    one one wheels and bars and grips.
    My brother has one too but with marzochi forks.
    love the look of yours bad andy! nice custom work.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Absolutely love this bike, it took me a long while to get what i wanted. I had a 90's univega but that was way too flexible then i rode a mates inbred and thought that i just needed a more modern bike so i bought a genesis latitude but that was too stiff then when a evo 2 frame came along at a great price i just had to have it.
    thankyou to everyone that posted on here its been a great help.

MTB Addict
    Jun 2007
    I just finished rebuilding my 26er HT onto a 456 Evo II frame over the weekend with a Rockshox Sektor 150mm fork. Only had it out for 1 easy ride so far, but I'm loving the feel of it.

It climbs well, pedals nicely, feels very stable under braking and on descents and is comfy to ride. And when I lower the fork to 120mm, it sharpens up a bit, climbs even better and pedals like a rocket on flat ground, yet is still fairly relaxed (especially coming from my old frame with 10 year old XC geometery which was much steeper up front and had a much shorter wheelbase).

Basically, it feels like a great all around bike. From what I've felt so far, I'd say that chances are, anything that it's not happy doing is something I'm not happy doing either.

456 Evo II-onfnfal.jpg

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	onfNFAl.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	209.3 KB 
ID:	1086866
    That is a LOT of accessories. What's up with the ron jeremy stem and the slammed forward saddle?

MTB Addict
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    That is a LOT of accessories. What's up with the ron jeremy stem and the slammed forward saddle?
    The saddle is actually just forward of centered on the rails. I had it all the way back to get a good fit on the previous frame (was a shorter frame and I have a long torso) and it made climbing suck, as I had to practically lay on the bars to keep the front wheel down. Hasn't been an issue so far with that placement, but I do need to experiment a little more with position over my next couple of rides to see what keeps my legs happiest.

Stem is a 60mm. Kinda chunky, but it's one I had lying around, so I figured I might as well use it and see how I like the fit / feel of the bike before buying a lighter one of possibly a different size.

Accessories-wise, pretty much the only "extra" is the rack. It's on there because it gets used some and I'm too lazy to take it off when I'm not using it (plus, it makes a good rear fender).

EDIT: After I got home from work, I experimented a bit with saddle position. Ended up moving it back about an inch to find the point where my legs feel good and line up well with the pedals.
    Last edited by comptiger5000; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:13 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234