Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 201 to 220 of 220

Thread: 456 Evo II

  1. #201
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    63
    I have a carbon 23 pound Specialized Full squish 29er XC bike sitting in garage...lately I keep grabbing the EVO to take for a spin instead granted it is not as fast as my 29er but it just is so fun to ride!!
    Last edited by jtsimaras; 04-20-2017 at 07:27 AM.

  2. #202
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,051
    Quote Originally Posted by J: View Post
    Scottzg comments are spot on re: the RS forks from that era Pig, much better chassis compared to the 32 ime
    I've always thought that RS forks offer much better value than Fox, which is hardly surprizing when they are made in Taiwan. If you open up Reba, SID and Float forks the differences in build quality seem fairly minimal. Certainly not enough to justify the difference in price.

    Yip, I'm liking the yellow myself. I like the way it matches the Maxxis logo on the High Roller that I've put on the back. In fact I'd quite like to put a Minion on the front just to get the yellow logo, despite knowing it's not as good as the Spesh tyre I've fitted ;0)

  3. #203
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    I've always thought that RS forks offer much better value than Fox, which is hardly surprizing when they are made in Taiwan. If you open up Reba, SID and Float forks the differences in build quality seem fairly minimal. Certainly not enough to justify the difference in price.

    Yip, I'm liking the yellow myself. I like the way it matches the Maxxis logo on the High Roller that I've put on the back. In fact I'd quite like to put a Minion on the front just to get the yellow logo, despite knowing it's not as good as the Spesh tyre I've fitted ;0)
    Agree about the Rochshox I've owned many fox products and they all were so high maintenance and failed in some way or another too soon....Owned 5 RS products now and they all have worked awesome with long spans between servicing.
    The Coil Sektor is pretty decent in damping rebound etc...really impressed at the price point.

  4. #204
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,051
    Quote Originally Posted by jtsimaras View Post
    I've owned many fox products and they all were so high maintenance and failed in some way or another too soon....Owned 5 RS products now and they all have worked awesome with long spans between servicing.
    I think a lot of the preference for Fox comes from brand snobbery. Fox don't make the type of budget forks RS make and their forks are more expensive. I think these things create a perception of higher quality than necessarily exists. I fall for it myself, I'd rather have a Fox fork on my bike than an RS.

    The Sektor I have here is an air one but on the brief try I had it felt like a very plush fork. I reckon the Sektor is the hidden gem of the RS range. It's available in so many options and you can do so much with it that it's an incredibly versatile fork. It's light enough for cross-country but sturdy enough for more aggressive stuff too.

  5. #205
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,051
    Sorry, forgot to take pictures:

    456 Evo II-001-2-.jpg

    456 Evo II-006.jpg

    A mixture of new parts and bits I already had. Will probably replace the big ring with a bash, once I know (he knows) he doesn't need the ring!

    Frame: 456 evo 'cycle of violence'
    Fork: Fox 32 Factory
    Wheels: Hope hubs/Mavic rims
    Tyres: Maxxis HR/Specialized clutch SX
    Brakes: Shimano Deore
    Cranks: Race Face 3x10
    Pedals: DRM V8
    Chain: KMC
    Cassette: Shimano XT 11 x36
    Shifters: SLX
    Dérailleurs: XT
    Stem: Hope
    B ars: FSA
    Grips: Cube
    Saddle: Madison Flux
    Seat-post: On-One

  6. #206
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,051
    Special mention for the head-badge!

    456 Evo II-008.jpg

  7. #207
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    63
    Liking my 465 Evo II so much sold my Specialized Epic Carbon Comp FS 29er frame and I picked up an On-One Maccatuskil Hardtail 29er....under construction.

    456 Evo II-img_20170422_201240564.jpg

  8. #208
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,051
    First proper outing for my son's new bike today. About ten-minutes after this picture he was lying on the ground after a trip over the bars on a steep decent. Knew he was ok as he was cursing at a big rock ;0)

    456 Evo II-029.jpg

  9. #209
    mbtr member
    Reputation: scottzg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,492
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    First proper outing for my son's new bike today. About ten-minutes after this picture he was lying on the ground after a trip over the bars on a steep decent. Knew he was ok as he was cursing at a big rock ;0)

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	029.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	1142514
    That's awesome, pigman! Sweet bike to grow up with; it took me 10 years to get something as capable as a 456. Love the cycle of violence yellow.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

  10. #210
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,051
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    Love the cycle of violence yellow.
    Everyone does! So far, every single person who's looked at this biker has said it looks fantastic. We were talking to a guy up on that hill yesterday who went on for ages about how awesome a bike it was. And he was riding a pretty nice spec full-sus. I was really pleased about that because I'm trying to encourage my son to get out on the bike more, it's why I built the new one, and I want him to think he has a cool bike.

    I also want to get him a dropper-post but he's against the idea. Those trails we rode yesterday were a perfect argument for a dropper, lots of ups and steep downs mixed together. Pretty sure he wouldn't have gone over the bars if he'd had one.

    Also trying to get him to wear his pads! Bought him a set years ago, he thought they were too small, gave him my set and he still won't wear them. Not comfortable. Yeah, well see how comfortable a smashed elbow is...

  11. #211
    mbtr member
    Reputation: scottzg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,492
    Evidently i broke my 456 at some point in the past.
    456 Evo II-456crack.jpg

    The frame has ~2k on it and i dismantled it to build up a different frame. I only found the crack because i was going to give the frame to a friend. This is my ?9th? broken frame, so i don't really see this as a mark against the 456's durability. That said, it cracked at a pretty obvious stress riser, and having to heat that area 2x to install the boss is kinda dumb.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

  12. #212
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    Evidently i broke my 456 at some point in the past.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	456crack.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	1145950

    The frame has ~2k on it and i dismantled it to build up a different frame. I only found the crack because i was going to give the frame to a friend. This is my ?9th? broken frame, so i don't really see this as a mark against the 456's durability. That said, it cracked at a pretty obvious stress riser, and having to heat that area 2x to install the boss is kinda dumb.
    Holy 9th frame you have broke what are you doing to break so many? Wonder if it cracked from a drop?

  13. #213
    mbtr member
    Reputation: scottzg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,492
    Quote Originally Posted by jtsimaras View Post
    Holy 9th frame you have broke what are you doing to break so many? Wonder if it cracked from a drop?
    I'm 6'3, 220lbs, and ride 10 hours per week. I'm not like a crazy-great mtb'er or anything, but i don't struggle to carry my considerable weight and i've been riding at a moderately high level for about 10 years. I've never had a frame fail catastrophically or in a single event. I just find cracks.

    This is normal for me- i fold chainrings and cassettes with similar regularity (or i did, i know what parts to run now). Hubs fail at a kinda shocking rate too and i haven't completely sorted that. Truth is that bike manufacturers know how to build stuff that lasts and i'm a fringe case because of my size and how much i ride, so i'm outside the expected use.


    My broken frame doesn't reflect poorly on on-one, it just reveals the weakest point in the design. I submitted a warranty claim for this frame, but i'm happy with the frame regardless of what on-one decides to do. Huge fan.


    (if anyone likes talking about what parts are durable, it's a favorite topic for me. I'm really not destructive- i've never broken a RD, my cranks are 8 years old, i can run light duty casing tubeless tires for thousands of miles... but i churn through frames/drivetrains/hubs)
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

  14. #214
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    I'm 6'3, 220lbs, and ride 10 hours per week. I'm not like a crazy-great mtb'er or anything, but i don't struggle to carry my considerable weight and i've been riding at a moderately high level for about 10 years. I've never had a frame fail catastrophically or in a single event. I just find cracks.

    This is normal for me- i fold chainrings and cassettes with similar regularity (or i did, i know what parts to run now). Hubs fail at a kinda shocking rate too and i haven't completely sorted that. Truth is that bike manufacturers know how to build stuff that lasts and i'm a fringe case because of my size and how much i ride, so i'm outside the expected use.


    My broken frame doesn't reflect poorly on on-one, it just reveals the weakest point in the design. I submitted a warranty claim for this frame, but i'm happy with the frame regardless of what on-one decides to do. Huge fan.


    (if anyone likes talking about what parts are durable, it's a favorite topic for me. I'm really not destructive- i've never broken a RD, my cranks are 8 years old, i can run light duty casing tubeless tires for thousands of miles... but i churn through frames/drivetrains/hubs)
    Hope you have luck with next frame maybe you have superman legs.

    Has anyone here Downhilled there Evo's?

  15. #215
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,051
    Quote Originally Posted by jtsimaras View Post
    Has anyone here Downhilled there Evo's?
    My son does it but he's only used the bike a handful of times.

  16. #216
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    My son does it but he's only used the bike a handful of times.
    Oh that is unfortunate to not use such a fun rig maybe one day he will like it more. I have a full suspension rocky altitude I'm thinking of unloading just find it boring to ride compared to my Evo and maccatuskil.

  17. #217
    mbtr member
    Reputation: scottzg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,492
    Quote Originally Posted by jtsimaras View Post
    Has anyone here Downhilled there Evo's?
    My buddy has. He was pretty pooped before lunch- skilled rider but kinda out of shape. Personally, i think the evo is just too short for bike park speeds, hardtailness notwithstanding.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

  18. #218
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,051
    Quote Originally Posted by jtsimaras View Post
    Oh that is unfortunate to not use such a fun rig maybe one day he will like it more.
    He doesn't care. He just rides what I give him.

  19. #219
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    My buddy has. He was pretty pooped before lunch- skilled rider but kinda out of shape. Personally, i think the evo is just too short for bike park speeds, hardtailness notwithstanding.
    Hmm ya was thinking maybe a bit short but guess I will have to give a try and see how it goes. thanks

  20. #220
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    He doesn't care. He just rides what I give him.
    Oh I see

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Members who have read this thread: 40

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •