Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 456 Evo II

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    yeah, gravity. after re-reading my post I guess I didn't do a very good job at asking a question, did I? So, I guess a few add ons...
    How much exposed seat post are people running? Would you be comfortable with 11+ inches of exposed seat post but only 4 inches of post inserted? Seems like a huge lever to me.

Is anyone having issues running a dropper post due to the short seat tubes?

If you were my height/dimensions and were between sizes, say a 16 & 18, would you go with one vs the other and why?

I tend to keep both wheels on the ground on most of my rides. This bike will be a trail bike and used for some road riding/commuting, at the park with the kids, etc.
    Get a large then. If you are not going to whip it a lot. As a trail bike, don't go smaller.

Or, get a 150mm dropper.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    yeah, gravity. after re-reading my post I guess I didn't do a very good job at asking a question, did I? So, I guess a few add ons...
    How much exposed seat post are people running? Would you be comfortable with 11+ inches of exposed seat post but only 4 inches of post inserted? Seems like a huge lever to me.

Is anyone having issues running a dropper post due to the short seat tubes?

If you were my height/dimensions and were between sizes, say a 16 & 18, would you go with one vs the other and why?

I tend to keep both wheels on the ground on most of my rides. This bike will be a trail bike and used for some road riding/commuting, at the park with the kids, etc.
    It's a tough one...

I'm 6' and ride a large / 18". Just today I bought a KS Lev with a 150mm drop because the 100mm drop Reverb wasn't giving me enough. Yes, at full mast - the 150mm looks a little odd. However, with this particular post, there is plenty of post still in the frame so damaging the frame isn't a worry.

I would say you should go the 16" not because of seat post issues but rather because the 18" with a 60mm stem fits me well. You're 4" shorter than me so even with the shortest stem available - the frame is going to be on the long side I would imagine. You'll likely end up with a similarly odd looking mast of a seat post at full extension but who cares. And when you want to lower the post you'll have lots of room to throw the bike around.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Gravity, what other bikes/frame have you owned? At 6' I would guess that you're very partial to short top tubes. 23.3 isn't very long in today's standards when running a short stem.

I just sent Brant an email about this as I also have an El Guapo and he'd be the best person to help me identify if there is something particular about the 456 geo that would make it feel larger than other bikes with comparable geometry???

My main concern about the 16 is how long of a seatpost I'd be running on it. dropping from a 70mm stem to a 60mm stem seems that it would negate the added ~10mm length in ETT.

Hmm....

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Gravity, what other bikes/frame have you owned? At 6' I would guess that you're very partial to short top tubes. 23.3 isn't very long in today's standards when running a short stem.

I just sent Brant an email about this as I also have an El Guapo and he'd be the best person to help me identify if there is something particular about the 456 geo that would make it feel larger than other bikes with comparable geometry???

My main concern about the 16 is how long of a seatpost I'd be running on it. dropping from a 70mm stem to a 60mm stem seems that it would negate the added ~10mm length in ETT.

Hmm....

Hey mate,

I'm actually partial to bikes with roomy cockpits. I like running the en vogue short stem / wide bar combo for which one ideally needs a bit with a longer front center. My race bike is a large Morewood Sukuma which has a 24" top tube and on which I run a 50mm Thomson stem. So I guess, considering I am running a 10mm longer stem on the 456, that brings the reach on that bike to within half an inch of the Morewood.

Ok, if I could wave a magic wand, I guess I would add 3/4 of an inch to the TT but that is something well within the range of sorting out with stem length without getting ridiculous.

It's such a personal thing though. At the end of the day you should probably just ask yourself whether you'd be more annoyed with a bike that felt slightly too big or slightly too small. I guess if it were me, I'd be more annoyed with the latter.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Dumb question but are the decals on these frames clear-coated or can you remove them?

Thanks again, gravity. I think that I've decided on the 16" frame. I can swap my 400mm Gravity Dropper with a buddy who's running a 425mm. That'll give me another inch of post to work with.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Hope I am not opening a can of worms but can this frame be run with 650b wheels?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    45650b frame to debut soon. Do a quick search for info.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    what he said.
    And to answer your question: no

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gravityfreaky View Post
    Very nice buddy. High budget build there. What's she weigh in at? Have you ridden her yet?
    Finally weighed it. 26.5lbs. I am running a Thomson seat post now, no more ks adjustable also replaced pedals to twenty6 predators. Bike is rockn!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Dumb question but are the decals on these frames clear-coated or can you remove them?.
    y

Sadly no. I really really wish the decals weren't blue or were at least removable.

Good luck with the bike - I'm sure you'll love it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Hi all, very close to pulling the trigger on the evo 2 and sektor 140mm bundle deal. I'm only 5"3 though and have an inside leg measurement of 28" I think. Will The 14" be small enough for me??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kroky View Post
    Hi all, very close to pulling the trigger on the evo 2 and sektor 140mm bundle deal. I'm only 5"3 though and have an inside leg measurement of 28" I think. Will The 14" be small enough for me??
    Yes

Master of the Universe!
    Apr 2008
    here is my new Christmas gift.
    456 EVO 2 18in. size.

Right now running as 1X9 but considering 1X10 or SS.
     photo 1220131031a_zps503bf1d5.jpg

photo 1220131031b_zpsfeb60a68.jpg

the frame is a lot more slack and rides completely different from my Mountain Cycle Rumble.
    Can't a guy get bombed and call his ex at 3 in the morning without it meaning something?!

mtbr member
    Love that build! I am 1x9 myself and with a 30t Narrow Wide, I don't find that I'm particularly undergeared. Maybe it's mental, maybe it's due to the ring, but once I made the swap I was able to start clearing techy climbs and bust out longer ones. If only mud and leaves weren't out to get me lol. I've also been staying out of granny more often. I like the idea of 1x10 to run a clutch derailleur I've been toying with SS, but I think that is for a different build.

Aside from that, I think 150mm is the sweet spot for these frames! First ride with a 150mm DPC Sektor and it climbed way better at 150mm than my previous 120mm fork, and I think it climbed better when set at 150 compared to it dropped at 120. When the trail pointed down it was much better as well. It was a better fork from the Raidon that was previously on it (shocking, I know), but I was way more confident heading down with 150mm ahead of me lol

mtbr member
    A quick question. I'd be running the frame with magura Wotan forks. They're 160mm but are lower in a-c than other forks. They are somewhere between 150 and 160 rs measurements. Would that be ok to run?

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5035D using Tapatalk

Master of the Universe!
    Apr 2008
    I would think the fork you've chosen should be fine. they are about an inch longer than the Fox 32 I am currently running. By the time you factor in sag it will be really close in height.
    Can't a guy get bombed and call his ex at 3 in the morning without it meaning something?!

mtbr member
    I run it at 40mm sag (25%)

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5035D using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I think you should be okay. I have a 150 Sektor, and as you may have seen, I think it's just wonderful. I'm not sure what the actual a2c is, but I don't think it would be a big problem to run that Wotan if it's in the ballpark. Obviously it would slacken out the angles a bit, but nothing disastrous I wouldn't think.

Granted, this is just speculation lol.

mtbr member

This bike handles!!!

so funů

456 Evo II-img958739.jpg

Master of the Universe!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by F.N.G View Post
    so funů

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG958739.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	202.9 KB 
ID:	864047
    I think you forgot to throw your hands in the air and scream "TADA!"

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Hi. I want to buy a 18'' frame. Can anybody with a 18'' frame post a pic. There are lots of pics but I'm not sure which ones are a medium. I'm particularly interested in a side view that shows how much the top tube slopes. For me a steep sloping top tube is a must and a deal breaker.
    Cheers
    Kev
    Also. did the raws rust?

Master of the Universe!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kpw2011 View Post
    Hi. I want to buy a 18'' frame. Can anybody with a 18'' frame post a pic. There are lots of pics but I'm not sure which ones are a medium. I'm particularly interested in a side view that shows how much the top tube slopes. For me a steep sloping top tube is a must and a deal breaker.
    Cheers
    Kev
    Also. did the raws rust?
    When I get home I'll try to remember to get a side shot. If you want I can take a measure for the stand over for an UN-SAGGED Fox32 140.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Id be interested in that pic also, any chance you could do a (waiste down) shot from the side with you stood over the top tube

Master of the Universe!
    Apr 2008
    Here are some shots as promised. since the last set I put on my 50mm stem which makes a world of difference on handling the bike.

Its hard to tell in the last one but the standover was almost exactly at 29 inches. I am 510 ish with between a 31 and 32 inseam and with the new stem the bike fits great. I think the only change I will make is the stem height.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Brilliant, thank you

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast