Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 456 Evo II

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaPanthers View Post
    f.n.g - love the build! one day i'll post up some pics of mine although it's a much lighter build my fellow evo2's. gotta love the college budget haha.

we can all agree on this - matt raw is beautiful, and its a ton of to fun ride!
    I agree though I do wish the decals weren't blue / were removable.

mtbr member
    As a Carolina Panthers fan (could you tell ), I don't hate the Carolina blue colors. Though I could see a more neutral colorway being more agreeable

mtbr member
    May 2008
    After a few rides with 456 Evo II, I must admit that I am surprised how comfortable it feels. I was worried, that hard tail will "kill" me, but now I am not going to rebuild my old Turner 5 Spot. I think the main reason for softness is not the steel frame, the reason is wide rims and wide tubeless tires. Of course my legs are more tired after 3 h ride on trail, which is covered with rocks and roots, than using fs-bike. But I ride for fun and fitness, so it is only good thing .

If I still after more rides feel, that I can live with hard tail as my only summer mountain bike, I will perhaps some day upgrade to lighter option, Carbon 456 Evo II.

Now I am very happy with my gas pipe bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 127 View Post

If I still after more rides feel, that I can live with hard tail as my only summer mountain bike, I will perhaps some day upgrade to lighter option, Carbon 456 Evo II.

Now I am very happy with my gas pipe bike.
    I had a 456 carbon. Trust me, the comfort factor IS in the frame. Im running the same spec pretty much on both bikes and the ride is very different. While lighter and faster - the carbon frame is BRUTAL over rough trail. The evo 2 feels like it has an inch of rear travel by comparison.

mtbr member
    Try letting loose a little more. I know it seems counter intuitive, but the faster I went over some choppy rocky descents, the smoother the bike felt. Also, really weight the pedals and let the frame do its thing instead of bouncing you around (as much lol). I was pleasantly surprised just how smooth it rode. I was riding 2.1 Velociraptors on skinny rims. I cant wait to throw on some 2.4 Chunky Monkeys on Flow EX's for further comparison.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaPanthers View Post
    Try letting loose a little more. I know it seems counter intuitive, but the faster I went over some choppy rocky descents, the smoother the bike felt. Also, really weight the pedals and let the frame do its thing instead of bouncing you around (as much lol). I was pleasantly surprised just how smooth it rode. I was riding 2.1 Velociraptors on skinny rims. I cant wait to throw on some 2.4 Chunky Monkeys on Flow EX's for further comparison.
    this ^
    I have not been on a hard tail for nearly 10 years and this transition is hard, but fun. Yes, you have to weight your legs more. I didn't realize how lazy of a rider i was on my full Squish bike until I rode this hard tail again. Even climbing is a change. always have to have the body active. Shreds your legs both climbing and descending. I am stuck riding this til my new Full Suspension bike comes in and I am excited that the new learned techniques will really help.
    Legs are your Suspension.

mtbr member
    It has a skinnier top tube (32mm vs 35mm) which I think adds a bunch of compliance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    It's definitely the most comfortable hardtail I've ever ridden.

Brant - did you see my question re the 'missing' cable mount?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gravityfreaky View Post
    It's definitely the most comfortable hardtail I've ever ridden.

Brant - did you see my question re the 'missing' cable mount?
    totally intentional as we found that it let the reverb cable loop down out of the way better.

We have a reverb guide seat collar coming soon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Cool.

After reading your post on the 32mm vs. 35mm top tube possibly on the evo II, I'm interested to know if it is the top tube more than any other frame member that will determine a frame's compliance?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gravityfreaky View Post
    Cool.

After reading your post on the 32mm vs. 35mm top tube possibly on the evo II, I'm interested to know if it is the top tube more than any other frame member that will determine a frame's compliance?
    I've Always thought this.
    It helps the wheels splay apart under load. Needs mating to a good solid downtube to stop the bike feeling noodly though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamerof1 View Post
    I'm also looking for a Medium Matte Raw here in the states. Did they have one here for you?

Drew
    Call Michael at Planet X. He is GM and Brant turned me on to him. My buddy called him yesterday for M matte and he is hving one shipped to US from UK. I am not on personal computer right now but if u pm me, I will get it for u (email) in next couple of days. Or Brant can get it to u.
    Sorry for delay. Overlooked this post

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    My new baby for this fall and winter..
    RS Sektor 150mm
    Wolftooth 30T/11-36
    X9 Type2 short cage
    XT brakes, 203/180 rotors
    Syntace Vector bars
    Hans Dampf 2.35" / Nobby Nic 2.4", TrailStar.

Dropper post to come
    456 Evo II-456_2.jpg456 Evo II-456_3.jpg456 Evo II-456_5.jpg

mtbr member
    pblind - what's the clearance on the 2.35 nn's? I'm looking to stuff a 2.4 chunky monkey back there. Now that I've ordered it, i'm nervous about it fitting lol

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Its a 2.4" NN, not 2.35. Plenty of clearance, even with the Flow EX rim.

mtbr member
    Awesome! Thanks for the response, I was having a mini panic attack haha.

Bike looks great by the way! Its nice seeing more and more builds pop up

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    My 456 Evo II is about to make me money...
    After riding a trail on the weekend that I normal ride on my 135mm trail bike (fast, techy in places and rough in others) - and going equally fast but with a bigger grin - I've decided that my 'tweener' bike has just become redundant. I still have a gravity enduro rig for racing and burlier riding but for everything else my Evo will be my go to. It is SUCH a great bike to ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Hey Brant, how does the new 456c compare to the sttel Evo in terms of ride & compliance?
    I have not been on a HT in years, the last one I owned was a 1st Gen Blue Pig. Going off paper, I thought I would love that bike but it beat me half to death. I ended up sticking with FS.
    Lately I've been falling more and more in love with my Yeti ASR5 and riding my El Guapo less. The 5 just makes me work more and I've grown to like that skipping over & through the trail instead of plowing over everything.
    I'm thinking that I may sell the EG and move to a 456 but I still have concerns with how harsh a HT may be.
    Any thoughts? 456 Evo steel vs Carbon?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    Hey Brant, how does the new 456c compare to the sttel Evo in terms of ride & compliance?
    I have not been on a HT in years, the last one I owned was a 1st Gen Blue Pig. Going off paper, I thought I would love that bike but it beat me half to death. I ended up sticking with FS.
    Lately I've been falling more and more in love with my Yeti ASR5 and riding my El Guapo less. The 5 just makes me work more and I've grown to like that skipping over & through the trail instead of plowing over everything.
    I'm thinking that I may sell the EG and move to a 456 but I still have concerns with how harsh a HT may be.
    I asked this question a while back and was told that the carbon will feel much stiffer than the steel.

mtbr member
    Figured I'd post up some pics of my Evo2. I apologize for the bike in the dorm pics, but it's a little better than nothing lol. Warning: it's a budget build in progress, but still a fun little bike.

456 Evo II-456-evo2-dorm.jpg
    Here she is in all her glory. Both tires are 2.4 inches, the awkward angle makes the back tire look extra massive in the picture haha. I'll have to get a better picture up in a more natural environment.

456 Evo II-456-evo2-cutters.jpg
    Gotta show some love to the LBS. If anyone is in the Lehigh Valley area and is in need of a bike shop, check out Cutters in Bethlehem. Great guys (and gal) and if it weren't for them, my bike would be a pile of part. From the initial build to helping me out when I jack things up in a crash, big thanks to Cutters.

456 Evo II-456-evo2-action.jpg
    How about and action shot!

Specs
    20" 456 Evo2 Raw
    SR Suntour Raidon 120mm... to be replaced ASAP lol
    Flow EX's laced to Hope Pro2 Evos, 2.4 Chunky Monkey tires set up tubeless
    Magura MT2 brakes
    X.9 Shifter, X.7 short cage derailleur
    Race Face Ride cranks, 1x9 with 32t ring
    Truvativ Boobar 740mm
    On One Hotbox 50mm stem
    Lizard Skins Peaty Grips, with a special touch from Cutters
    Easton EA70 seatpost, beat up WTB saddle

This bike is an absolute blast! Doesn't mind to jump around a little and loves to get leaned over. It is pretty compliant over the rough stuff; the fast I go the smoother the ride. I found myself climbing better and enjoying the descents instead of holding on for dear life lol. It might be the bike or I might just be getting better, but I've been able to clean things (climbs and descents) that I could not clear on my old bike. This bike is way more confidence inspiring. I'm stoked to get a longer, burlier fork, but I have to say, the bike seems seems pretty darn capable at 120mm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    I've owned both. The Carbon is WAY harsher to ride. The carbon does 'give' when you hit things very hard / fast but that threshold is quite high. By contrast, the 456 Evo II feels like it has 1 inch of rear wheel travel - it is a big difference. I ride on very very rough / rocky trails and sold the 456c because it was just too harsh. Nice on smoother trails though and obviously a lot lighter.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks gravity.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    (cross post)
    How is everyone getting along with the short seat tubes on these frames? I'm close to pulling the trigger but the 16" seat tube is holding me back. i am 5'8 with a 31.5 inseam, barefoot.

I have an ASR5 which has an ETT of 23.7, using a 60mm stem. The seat tube is 18.8" and I have about 8.25 inches of seat post exposed. On my Med El Guapo v2 I have 9 inches of exposed seat post.

I have dropper posts on both bikes and I don't see how I could get away with a 16" seat tube and have enough post left for minimum insertion, or the seat post would be really extended. I do understand that there is very little time spent sitting and spinning on a HT and that I'd be running it lower in most cases but I'd still like to be able get full extension for commuting, etc.

Anyone have any ideas?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Not sure I understand the question. ..
    Do you want help in working out of your dropper will be long enough?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    yeah, gravity. after re-reading my post I guess I didn't do a very good job at asking a question, did I? So, I guess a few add ons...
    How much exposed seat post are people running? Would you be comfortable with 11+ inches of exposed seat post but only 4 inches of post inserted? Seems like a huge lever to me.

Is anyone having issues running a dropper post due to the short seat tubes?

If you were my height/dimensions and were between sizes, say a 16 & 18, would you go with one vs the other and why?

I tend to keep both wheels on the ground on most of my rides. This bike will be a trail bike and used for some road riding/commuting, at the park with the kids, etc.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast