Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

456 evo

148K views 340 replies 94 participants last post by  brant 
#1 ·
Hi! any news about the frame? I'm really loking forward to it, but come on, I'm sure there is a lot of lurkers like me that really need to know more about the new geo, in wich state of development it is and some estimated dates when it will be available. Just to create some hype and keep the excitement high until we can ride it you know? thank you very much :D

» Just in - 456.1 matt raw (aka 456 Evo) Shed Fire : Designing for On-One, Titus and Planet X from Calderdale.
» 456 EVO YS-714 Shed Fire : Designing for On-One, Titus and Planet X from Calderdale.

Attachments

See less See more
#308 ·
@jcitizen1
What type of fork are you using? I have a rigid Inbred with an On-One fork (440mm A to C). I really like it, but I am thinking I'd like it to be a bit more slack up front. I was considering the 456, but I didn't think you could get a rigid fork that would be long enough to create the intended geometry. Your fork looks short compared to the bikes above (post 303 & 305), but still probably longer than mine.

#311 ·
j0hn , I'm using a Surly Instigator fork: Forks | Parts and Accessories | Surly Bikes which is a 100mm corrected fork, so it only dropped the headtube angle by about 1 degree. I actually like the way this frame rides a lot better a bit less slack as my trails have a lot of steep ups, which weren't the most fun with a 120mm fork. I always had fun on the bike, but it felt "perfect" rigid with this fork for the kind of eastern canadian riding I do. When I took it out west, though, the slackness was much appreciated.

#314 ·
I am 5'10.5 inches/180cm with a 32" inseam. I have the oppurtunity to buy a 20" 456 evo from a friend. I know from the sizing chart that an 18" would be a better fit, but the 20" is a good deal. Unfortunately I am unable to try before I purchase. Anyone have any knowledge as to whether a 456 20" would fit me?

#320 ·
Heres Mine

Just finished building this up- my new 456 Evo II. Quick ride on it tonight and loving it so far. BMX bike feel, very snappy. Been on a 29 Santa Cruz Tallboy last 2 years which is super fast but makes everything sooo easy. The experience is kind of numbing on that bike. I like the connected feel I have on this bike. I've decided that it's about the number of smiles and thrills I get from riding, not how fast I am in a time trial. This bike will keep me smiling

Attachments

#322 ·
In my opinion the 18 would be a good fit. ETT would be close for an aggressive riding style. Stem length and setback posts can fine tune also. I'm 5'8" and the ETT on my 18 felt long initially until I switched to a 50mm stem. May try a 40 still debating. I like a short ETT as I like a bmx bike feel
Good luck:)

#324 ·
By aggressive I mean more upright "all mountain" style position. I always hated the hunched over cc riding position going back to the late 80s. I used to put bmx cruiser bars and stems on old mountain bikes and got razzed for it:) if you want a more upright position I'd stay with the 18. Good luck

#329 ·
Still not finished, but already a hell of a ride. Really loving to shred with it.

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Wheel Tire

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

Built with

16" Ti Frame
Flowex Hope Hoops
Schwalbe Rock Razor & Hans Dampf
Thomson Cockpit
Rock Shox Pike and Reverb
Shimano XT Groupset (160mm rotors)
Gilles Berthoud Galibier saddle
Works Components chainring
Esi Grips racer

12.08kgs

Still need to replace the seatclamp.

#332 ·
hey JV and Dark BenLaden, both are sick looking bikes. Just wondering about the size? I have an 18" Evo in blue, but it somehow feels a bit too much like my old XC bike, not sure if the 16" would be better? I am in between sizes, I am 5'10 but with a 34" inseam, not sure if the 16" would work. The ETT seems perfect on the 16", but the seat tube size is holding me back. However, looking at your bike pics it looks like you opted for the smaller size given the seat tube extension. Just wondering how your expereince is with it? does the bike still serve as a decent climber and general trail rider or is it now mainly downhill focused? thanks.

#333 ·
Hi The Factory
I'm 5'9 (176cm) tall, and my inseam is about 32". I have an allmoutain/freeride bike with 573mm ETT and a XC bike with 602mm. I feel the first one (coilair2010) a little too short, and the second one too long for trail riding, so the 16" 456 with 592mm seemed to me the size to match my demands. I really didn't care about the seat tube size, since it reaches the bottom bracket, and a 400mm seatpost gives me enough room to properly fit it in the frame.

When climbing I feel the front wheel trying to get out of the ground. Not as much as other bikes do, but more than I would expect. Probably this as also to do with the 160mm fork I have. On the other side, and with these short chainstays, the power transfer is noticeable, there is no play on the bottom bracket and titanium does its job very very well on delievering a wonderful ride.

#335 ·
Hi The Factory
I'm 174 cm with relatively short arms/legs and just bought a frame with my ordinary ett about 590mm. 16" 456evo fits me fine with 60/70 stem, 350mm seatpost have about 10-15mm extra length to minimal insert (with clipless pedals). Bike is for everything from city to one-day rides for 100-150km (little total ascend, 700-1000m), soft races and orienteering for 6-12 hours. I have an hard adventure in May: 500km for 7 days with 6000m ascend - rider rides, not bike ;) sorry for my English.

#337 ·

Just built up today, barely got to ride it with the super bowl and the amount of mud out there today. Cheap/spare parts bike. Swapped out the frame from a 16" RM reaper I was mostly using for jump/pump and riding around with my nephew. Went up to an 18" On one 456 to try out the steel is real thing and get better seat post extension and a little longer top tube. At my size I should be on a 20" easy, but I still wanted to take my nephew to the pump track and wanted to keep a lower top tube and quick handling bike.

I trail rode the 16" reaper now and then, and pretty often just down at the river for exercise when time was sparse. I bent two cheap seatposts, and would have to put my weight way up on the front to climb anything on a real trail. But it was always a fun ride! This 18" is only slightly larger, but was a much better climber and I was able to stay seated more than I remember being able to on the 16". And it's still tight enough to be really playfull. So far it's great. Even though I probably look stupid being 6"2 and 250 lbs on an 18" frame!!! especially all choppered out with the 6" fork!!! :)

I'm going to sell both my dualies and save up for a new 6" ride. So I wanted a better hardtail to ride in the mean time. (since you practically need to take out a 2nd mortgage to buy a new bike these days!!!) As I end up using this as my main bike I figure I can always swap it out for a 20" if the smaller frame takes too much away from the overall ride. But time will tell.

The only thing is I wish you could pick the color of the stickers. The blue is fine, but I wish it were just black. Also, trippy thing. They were out of the raw 18" at planet X usa. So I purchased the bike from England. Bought it Sunday night around 8-9PM. Got the bike on Tuesday! Crazy Fast shipping!!! And it didn't cost anymore than buying from the US distributor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.